Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Transitional References

Transitional References

Are transitional references 'dirty mongrels' or sexy, desirable and rare special examples, held in similar high regard as prototypes?

I'm talking about the early and late examples of a model that might have parts or features from preceding or following model lines.

I've found transitional references to be less expensive than their production successors, despite their relative rarity (or condition).

Do collectors want these strange transitional models or should they be avoided (as suggested by prevailing prices)?
    Last edited by morningtundra; Oct 31, 2017 at 07:40 PM.

This is firmly in the “who cares” category.

I collect Ebel Cal 134s and Cal 137s but this prototype “hybrid” does not move me

REDUCED PRICE - EBEL PROTOTYPE Automatic Chronograph (post El Primero - pre Le Modulor)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...3&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

While I’m not into Ebel I find this curiously interesting. Got any pics of the 134 and 137?

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra

Here is an Ebel 1134901:

This model remained little changed from 1986 (when they introduced the link bracelet) to 1994, and the caliber 134 is a Zenith El Primero.

Here is a 1995 Le Modulor, ref. 9137241. The 241 case was a millimeter larger than the 901 case, and it used the Lemania-based caliber 137.

(pic from an auction site)

The "test proto"watch linked above is interesting, but was intended to test the movement. I think this is the 901 case, and the caliber 137 seems a tight fit. Interestingly, the 137 in this watch 1.) lacks a serial number (and is therefore the only 137 I've ever seen that wasn't COSC-certified), and has a rotor marked "Type E", which was the name of a markedly different design chronograph from the late 90's. This Type E dates from 1999:

Hardly an "after" model.

Chronographs after the Modulor were identical, but the Corbusier family had objected to the use of "Modulor" and Ebel simply used "Chronograph" after 1995 or so. The reference number did not change.

Rick "who has seen a few prototypes that have leaked out" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

5. Likes Dan R liked this post
    I find this fascinating, which I guess makes me an edge case...

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra