Quote Originally Posted by robattopper View Post
Hi everyone. The use of materials is definitely an interesting part of the this project.

Here is a little more information.
The base material of the Zurich hands and the fact that they were faceted meant they couldn’t make them heat blued. The finish is applied and I believe to be pvd. It is more vibrant than typical heat blue hands and designed to pop against the the white lacquer. This process gave them more control of the exact color as the goal of the hand color was to perfectly matched the blue index squares and in some light and be a little more vibrant in others.

As to the dial material it did indeed take a lot of R and D to get made as the watch provided challenges. the two outer layers are lacquer (similar to the other topper Nomos) while the two smaller disks cities and GMT are a material Nomos created specifically for this watch that simulate the look of lacquer but look a little dryer. This was chosen to give it the wet dry effect that Skywatch noticed and also because the disks stacked on top of each other provided a clearance issue if all four disks were lacquer.

Thanks for that excellent clarification, Rob. I thought I remembered your brother saying that it wasn't lacquer but a different process, or maybe he meant it wasn't porcelain. I'm easily confused.