Likes Likes:  37
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nomos Glashütte Zurich World Timer “Burlingame” edition —Nomos event

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robattopper View Post
    Hi everyone. The use of materials is definitely an interesting part of the this project.

Here is a little more information.
    The base material of the Zurich hands and the fact that they were faceted meant they couldn’t make them heat blued. The finish is applied and I believe to be pvd. It is more vibrant than typical heat blue hands and designed to pop against the the white lacquer. This process gave them more control of the exact color as the goal of the hand color was to perfectly matched the blue index squares and in some light and be a little more vibrant in others.

As to the dial material it did indeed take a lot of R and D to get made as the watch provided challenges. the two outer layers are lacquer (similar to the other topper Nomos) while the two smaller disks cities and GMT are a material Nomos created specifically for this watch that simulate the look of lacquer but look a little dryer. This was chosen to give it the wet dry effect that Skywatch noticed and also because the disks stacked on top of each other provided a clearance issue if all four disks were lacquer.

Thanks for that excellent clarification, Rob. I thought I remembered your brother saying that it wasn't lacquer but a different process, or maybe he meant it wasn't porcelain. I'm easily confused.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

2. Likes Samanator liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    I know right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I wouldn't, but that's just me. And since this is horology, not theology, there are no sacred entities, here: if you prefer the Nomos to the Speedy, why not?

4. Likes Samanator liked this post
    I dunno, Michael, they're both lovely pieces. I'm going to go against the flow and say that in light of the fact that you have a number of Speedies, the Nomos would give you something quite different, and if you don't wear the CK2998 often enough, well, that could be the answer. If I were going to get a world timer (I'm not), this one would be at the top of my list.

6. Likes JAGtime, Samanator liked this post

Nomos Glashütte Zurich World Timer “Burlingame” edition —Nomos event

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    I wouldn't, but that's just me. And since this is horology, not theology, there are no sacred entities, here: if you prefer the Nomos to the Speedy, why not?
    For me the CK and/ or this Nomos are in the low wear category. The only real wrist time the CK has had since I got it a year ago was Rob’s wedding. So three days in a year. I would expect the Nomos to be the same as far as wrist time. I keep one, but I don’t think I want two hardly worn watches in my collection. It’s less what the watch is, and more what it’s role is. So it would not be a trade, but more a new place holder. These are as close to a dress watch as I come. For me it is more do I stick with the old (figuratively speaking), or go try something new?

Last edited by Samanator; Nov 14, 2017 at 12:21 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Quote Originally Posted by robattopper View Post
    Hi everyone. The use of materials is definitely an interesting part of the this project.

Here is a little more information.
    The base material of the Zurich hands and the fact that they were faceted meant they couldn’t make them heat blued. The finish is applied and I believe to be pvd. It is more vibrant than typical heat blue hands and designed to pop against the the white lacquer. This process gave them more control of the exact color as the goal of the hand color was to perfectly matched the blue index squares and in some light and be a little more vibrant in others.

As to the dial material it did indeed take a lot of R and D to get made as the watch provided challenges. the two outer layers are lacquer (similar to the other topper Nomos) while the two smaller disks cities and GMT are a material Nomos created specifically for this watch that simulate the look of lacquer but look a little dryer. This was chosen to give it the wet dry effect that Skywatch noticed and also because the disks stacked on top of each other provided a clearance issue if all four disks were lacquer.

As to our watch verses the original, I think of all of these projects as love letters to the original.

Working on projects like this were we try to create our own aesthetic variation on our favorite watches is one of my favorite things about working at Topper. This project was really fun! This was also my mom’s favorite limited we’ve done and I think she is happiest at Topper when she’s describing how we put Burlingame to represent PST and how we were able to have this project pay for planting and purchasing of trees in Burlingame.

It’s also great watching other photos of this watch come in from Instagram from the first owners.

Here are a few more that I really like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for chiming in with the clarification! Also congrats on a very successful outcome for this project.
    Instagram: @tempocalypse

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    For me the CK and/ or this Nomos are in the low wear category. The only real wrist time the CK has had since I got it a year ago was Rob’s wedding. So three days in a year. I would expect the Nomos to be the same as far as wrist time. I keep one, but I don’t think I want two hardly worn watches in my collection. It’s less what the watch is, and more what it’s role is. So it would not be a trade, but more a new place holder. These are as close to a dress watch as I come. For me it is more do I stick with the old (figuratively speaking), or go try something new?

If you like, you could get the Nomos and send it to me--I promise I'd wear it at least once per month, so you would feel much better about it. Or same thing with the CK2998.

10. Likes happyscrappyheropup, CFR, Samanator liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    If you like, you could get the Nomos and send it to me--I promise I'd wear it at least once per month, so you would feel much better about it. Or same thing with the CK2998.
    You beat me to it!

12. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Food for thought.
    Cheers,

Michael

14. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    You beat me to it!
    So you would be the backup to mlcor. Good to know I have double coverage.
    Last edited by Samanator; Nov 14, 2017 at 07:09 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

16. Likes CFR liked this post