Likes Likes:  127
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Titanium wheel nut

Titanium wheel nut

An impulse buy, of sorts. I had reminded myself that I liked the quartz Breitling Colt. Fleetingly, I considered buying a used example that was available locally. Too much money. There should really be something cheaper that does the same simple but solid job. Think, think... well, there was - the Inox! But they’re crazy big and shiny.

Separately, I reminded myself that I had a thing about titanium. Think, think... there should really be a titanium Inox. And there is! And a shop in the north of England was knocking them out cheap. Almost pocket money.

Twenty-four hours later, the postman with a parcel.

Name:  01 800.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  337.5 KB

Well, it’s simply marvellous. And considering that it’s 43mm, it’s not even big. The muted titanium softens the shape and the weight is negligible. My old Sinn UX felt a lot more ‘present’. The strap, which I thought I might be changing, is more or less perfect. I thought I was buying a knockabout novelty, partly as a sop to not buying a watch for almost a year, but no - it’s a seriously good watch.

I like Victorinox, and had a Swiss Army Cavalry when the company first started making watches - and before my watch hobby got under way. I like the idea of Victorinox - Swiss (what could be Swisser), established, respected - transferring its manufacturing expertise to a field that couldn’t be Swisser. As far as I know, they’ve done it themselves with little outside assistance. Watches have also filled the void in Victorinox sales caused by airline security restrictions on knives. An awful lot of Swiss Army knives were sold in airports. All in all, I like the Victorinox story. I have seen people saying that Victorinox isn’t a ‘proper’ watch company. Well no... exactly - good isn’t it?

Name:  02 800.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  257.1 KB

I can’t fault this watch in any way. The ‘indestructible’ back story is appealing, the styling is bold and original (albeit with a hint of Genta), the construction is immaculate.

Twenty-odd years ago, I was more than happy with a Swiss Army as my only watch. This one fits the bill in the same way, except that I’ve acquired a watch hobby along the way.

Name:  03 800.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  264.2 KB

Size: 43mm x 13.85mm x 53mm
    Weight: 93g
    Water resistance: 200m
    Crystal: sapphire with A/R
    Crown: screw-down
    Movement: Ronda 715
    Last edited by tribe125; Jan 24, 2018 at 01:47 PM.

Oh yeah! Congrats Alan!
    It does look amazing on your wrist, and i know it is a joy to wear since i did tried one in the past..
    What a perfect tool watch..
    I'm on instagram: @iyonk_strap

That’s a fantastic choice, Alan! They really nailed the design of that one and the titanium model is a great choice! Nice to hear that the rubber strap is so good, too.

That is a great color, and a very pleasing simple dial. Nice watch!

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

Cool watch, Alan, congrats!

I do like that wheel nut thing going on, and it hadn’t occurred to me that Swiss Army sales would be suffering from tighter airport security - now you mention it watches, knives and pens were the big things in airport shops

Titanium is fab at taming larger watches, I had a Momentum Atlas back in the day

Now it’s just these to wave hi to your Inox :-)
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

6. Likes tribe125, synequano, iyonk liked this post
    Nice pickup. I really like the Inox series. The indestructible angle is great, they really do withstand virtually anything.

A guy on a Swedish forum has really put his through the wringer. It's been shot at, frozen, boiled, put in a cement mixer and numerous other tests and it's still ticking.

9. Likes tribe125, synequano, Dimman, Perseus liked this post
    Very nice pickup.

A real beauty Alan! Congrats!

I really like the case finish on this one due to the Titanium, and of course, Ti wears so incredibly comfortable on the wrist!!! Watch looks like it could withstand a nuclear blast!
    Cheers,

Chris

Thanks, all! It’s been seven hours and I still like it.

One thing I haven’t mentioned is the price. The recommended price is £529. I paid about half.

I wouldn’t have bought it at £529. There’s nothing cheap about the watch, and objectively it may well be worth the money, but I’d be more likely to put £500 towards something more expensive.

Revisiting the website to check the price, I saw that they no longer have this model, so it looks as though mine was a ‘last in the shop’ clearance item.

13. Likes iyonk, OhDark30, FuzzyB, Greg liked this post