Likes Likes:  7
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Eaglemoss Military Watches Collection.

MWC vet, still collecting Churchy's Avatar
    London, I am NOT a cockney, though I live nearer to Bow Bells than most "cockneys" do.
    Blog Entries
    MWC 99 - 1940s American Soldier

One of the Key Objectives of Operation Torch, the invasion of French North Africa in November 1942, was to split Axis forces and weaken their position on the Eastern front where they had invaded Russia
    The areas targeted for invasion were held by Vichy French troops who were in effect collaborating with the Germans, The Vichy French were well equped both as an Army, with large numbers of troops, and as a Navy, in the port of Casablanca.
    The Planned invasion was portrayed as an American Led operation Supported by Free French Troops, who had escaped capture when Germany invaded France. Secret Diplomatic meetings tried to establish if The Vichy French would actually resist such an invasion, as they would in effect be fighting their own countrymen. The fact that British troops would also be involved was kept from the Vichy as the British had recently attacked the French Naval base at Mers-el-Kébir.
    The American Landings of 19,000 troops at Casablanca were initiated without a warning barrage, again in the hope that resistance would be half hearted, however an earlier attempted coup meant the Vichy High Commissioner had his troops on high alert so the landings were hampered by Vichy Naval Vessels, and sniper fire from the town, however the Navy was soon neutralised by Allied ships and the operation was concluded with relatively light casualties.
    Similar operations were carried out along the coast at Oran and Algiers, for many of the American troops this was the first taste of combat.
    The watches worn by the US army by this time would have been of American manufacture, this issue is probably representative of many similar 'pattern' watches made by companies such as Hamilton and Elgin

Case
    Polished case, 34mm across, 37mm at the crown, 9mm deep, 40mm Lug to Lug, 16mm lug width
    Case Interior, 29.7mm diameter, 7mm deep. 5mm crown, 29mm glass.
    Dial
    Black Dial with white printed 'rail-track' minute/second scale, Hours indicated by orange Arabic numbers
    Polished Cathedral style minute and hour hands with orange infill, slim polished second hand
    Strap
    Green Nylon Strap 16mm wide at the lug, 16mm buckle, approx. fitting 170/215mm

The Nylon webbing strap on this issue has gone back to the horrible thick, rough, inflexible style that the early issues had. It’s also a terrible shade of green

London, I am NOT a cockney, though I live nearer to Bow Bells than most "cockneys" do.
    Blog Entries
    MWC 100 - 1970s British Naval Diver

In the years after the conclusion of World War II the Royal Navy went through a series of changes and the number of active vessels was reduced.
    in spite of the fresh memory of global conflict, regular conflicts between opposing ideologies were always proving world peace was difficult, if not impossible to achieve. The commitment of the United Kingdom to both NATO and United Nations roles meant Navy personnel and vessels have regularly been in action all over the world, in both peacekeeping and conventional roles.
    The Clearance Diving Branch of the Royal Navy was officially raised in 1952, but had effectively been in constantly active operations since the end of the war.
    WWII veterans continued to provide training for the new Branch, who's role included removing blockages of harbours, by exposive demolition, as well as the removal of thousands of tones of munitions and anti submarine/shipping mine fields.
    Clearance Divers are highly trained professionals, they used to working calmly in what are frequently very difficult conditions, poor light, strong currents and the possibility of old explosives detonating without warning, do not make the tasks they undertake in any way easy.
    Divers in these conditions have to have the best, most reliable equipment, and during this time one of the watches they would use for dive operations would be the Omega Seamaster

Case
    Polished case, 40.5mm across, 42.2mm at the crown, which is partially recessed into the case.
    10.5mm deep, 45.3mm Lug to Lug, 20mm lug width
    Case Interior, 33.8mm diameter, 7mm deep. 5mm crown, 31mm glass.
    Dial
    Black Dial with white printed scale, Hours indicated by large tapered markers, extra large triangle at 12
    Polished sword shaped minute and hour hands with orange infill, slim polished second hand has a small, orange filled, arrow head near the tip
    Bezel
    39.5 mm non rotating bezel, Black plastic insert with Yellow indices, Arabic numerals at ten minute marks, small triangle at 12
    Strap
    Black Nylon Strap 20mm wide at the lug, 20mm buckle, approx. fitting 175/215mm

The issue 38 watch was very similar to this, but was instead based on the later quartz Precista watches

Blog Entries

Eaglemoss Military Watches Collection.

Well that as they say is all folks, 100 regular issues, 10 “special editions” and 1 subscribers bonus.
    There have been a few good watches and just as many disappointments, but I must say I do feel I have learnt a lot through this collection, mostly that war is terrible, especially for those who have no choice in what is going on in their back yard and bear the brunt of the loss and suffering.
    But it does also bring out the best in many and drives innovation that eventually benefits everybody, I just wish that we could innovate without such sacrifice.
    Thank you all for sticking with it , and if you have any requests for information about the watches in this collection, I will do my best if you send me a PM

Best regards
    DAVE

4. Likes Dan R, Spooky liked this post