Likes Likes:  380
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: I just came across this and I'm drooling--the 2018 thread

I put lowish offers for both of these on Ebay...don't expect to win, but hey if I do...

I know I'm over a year late to the party here but this is gradually seducing me, faux patina, Omega's 3500+ "limited edition" and all. 39mm, domed crystal with engraving and my kind of minimal countdown bezel. I think I'm going to regret changing tomorrow's schedule to head into an AD. I have wanted a solid all round black dial steel diving watch and just can't get sufficiently excited about any kind of sub.
    Last edited by yokied; Dec 9, 2018 at 02:11 AM.

3. Likes Fantasio, Raza, synequano, gnuyork, stew77 liked this post
    ^^^

It’s a lovely thing, no doubt about it. Practical and versatile too - enough to be an ‘only’ watch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yokied View Post
    I know I'm over a year late to the party here but this is gradually seducing me, faux patina, Omega's 3500+ "limited edition" and all. 39mm, domed crystal with engraving and my kind of minimal countdown bezel. I think I'm going to regret changing tomorrow's schedule to head into an AD. I have wanted a solid all round black dial steel diving watch and just can't get sufficiently excited about any kind of sub.
    I really like the look of it, but I have a hard time thinking of when a countdown bezel would be more useful than a timer bezel.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    but I have a hard time thinking of when a countdown bezel would be more useful than a timer bezel

The TESTAF group made it an essential requirement of a pilot’s watch, but I can’t remember the reasoning off-hand.

I use timers more often for time remaining than time elapsed, so I like them. Parking meters is an oft-quoted example of their usefulness. They’re also useful in cooking - and I guess the Le Mans 24-hour race.

Quote Originally Posted by yokied View Post
    The clasp on those is fantastic for all of the 57 line. It's an awesome piece.

it's also reasonably thing compared to other recent Seamasters
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

8. Likes shameless, CFR, Jazzmaster, yokied, stew77, Dimman, Raza liked this post
    Thanks Samanator - your collection is intimidating! They're useful shots of frequent viewing angles. There is a fair bit going on there vis a vis lines and finishes - I like.

I'm a little jumbled with this one and will probably let it simmer for a while. Predictably enough the Australian network of ADs and OBs were useless so I would be buying this sight unseen second hand or grey. Omega made too many of them and the price is high enough to make me pause to consider the need vs the depreciation. It's also going up against two other vintage divers in the mix yet to be released: Zodiac White Wolf and Rado Captain Cook MkII reissue. This will be at most two out of three.
    Last edited by yokied; Dec 12, 2018 at 11:56 PM.

10. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Check with Toppers. They had a BNIB one in the window when I was out in early November for the Zodiac event. The others are very cool also and I have the White Wolf on order with the other two limited Topper editions. The 57 Seamaster is one of the best Omega has done as of late. It has the least compromises to the classic design from 1957. I predict It will come back to command a respectable return down the road. Personally, I see all three you have listed as must-haves. The set of three could slot in under the price of a Ti PO.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

No dice at Toppers. I would love to know how much it weighs on bracelet if that's at all possible at some point.

I wish I could do all three but some decisions have to be made if I am to keep the collection under 10 (preferably 6 or 7). I'll be wearing them, hopefully often, with the reissue possibly replacing the vintage in one case (!!!). So long run resale is not necessarily the concern but the short run loss if I sell the Omega when the Zodiac and Rado emerge next year. It would sting more than most because it would be borne of unnecessary impatience.

The Zodiac is least likely based on aesthetic appeal but it is probably the best wearing of the three (great cases and lugs, lowest height). I keep telling myself I will prize wearability so I'm very hesitant to write the Zodiac off. I have other watches so I think the best thing for it is to keep drooling at the Omega and wait.