Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citizen Promaster Tough

Citizen Promaster Tough

Name:  IMG_0039.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  171.3 KB

A ‘Ray Mears’, as they’re called in the UK, and maybe in other places. Ray Mears made bushcraft and wildlife programmes for TV, and it didn’t take watch fanciers long to notice that he wore a Promaster Tough. The watch became a minor cult.

I had one of the original models, about fifteen years ago, and this is almost identical, although the water resistance has gone up from 200m to 300m. The case is the same - a 40mm titanium monocoque. The sapphire crystal, as before, is thicker and harder to break than most. The minor text is a little neater than it was. The ’Citizen’ text is perilously close to the outsized ‘11’, but never mind. The date is a little small but would be fine for a peregrine falcon. It’s titanium-light, it’s undeniably tough, and it’s Eco-Drive easy. The Kevlar strap, with its titanium hardware and eyelets, is almost too tough. The keeper has a space for engraving your name, nationality, date of birth and blood group - so no good for a flipper.

Name:  IMG_0043.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  123.7 KB

The Promaster Tough has been around for twenty-five years, but not continuously. It has disappeared, presumed gone forever, and then reappeared - but maybe only in Japan, or in the UK. I bought it direct from Citizen UK who only had one in stock (plus a few in blue), so maybe it’s about to disappear again.

I’ve been doing some thinning out. Two watches have gone and more are likely to follow. In the course of that I looked at my knockabout watches. There were five, three of them cluttering up a window-sill, keeping their batteries charged, two in the watch box - one with a dead battery. One would be better than five, preferably a simple one with solar power. I hardly need a knockabout watch, but they’re good for the security tray at airports, and they’re good for… hospitals.

Seriously. A couple of years ago, lying on the ground with a broken hip, I did reflect that at least I was wearing the right watch - a G-Shock. My wife wouldn’t have to bring a cheap watch to the hospital, and take an expensive one away, and I didn’t mind leaving it on my locker when I was carted off for surgery and scans. Ideally, a hospital watch is cheap enough to be lost or stolen, quartz and self-charging.

The Promaster Tough is way over-engineered for airports and hospitals, but then it’s over-engineered for most things. I’ll wear it at other times too - and being titanium it goes with my hip.

I’m very pleased, and I’m reminded that titanium is a lovely thing. I didn’t know you could still buy it until two days ago, and now it replaces five other watches - and unlike those it will go into regular rotation. Result.

The size is a ‘small’ 40mm by 11mm, with 46mm from lug to lug.

Name:  IMG_0041.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  162.7 KB

Monocoque case

Name:  IMG_0044.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  161.1 KB

Blog Entries
    I like these a lot! How does a case like this open up, if the movement or battery were to need service?
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    I like these a lot! How does a case like this open up, if the movement or battery were to need service?

Remove the bezel, go in through the front. Not a job for the average hobbyist, probably.

4. Likes skywatch liked this post
    Ace !

As the BM6400 is getting on a bit , and quite a few knocks and scrapes .... shock , horror , I've been looking for a replacement for awhile , keep going back to these.
    A few sites list the blue , some green , and black with bracelet , not seenjust the strap black though. Looks brill.
    How do the hands align with markers btw , mine's naff , easily can set a min. out , keeps very good time , even after 10/12 years approx.
    A last forever feel , the Ti should be better still. Well done mate.

6. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    Oh, what's outbound?

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    it replaces five other watches
    You have such a solid collection, that it's difficult to think which ones would be replaced by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Strela167 View Post
    How do the hands align with markers btw , mine's naff , easily can set a min. out

The hands are fine. The seconds hand doesn’t hit every marker but I’m not particular about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    Oh, what's outbound?

You have such a solid collection, that it's difficult to think which ones would be replaced by this.

Mostly ones that haven’t enjoyed the full glare of forum publicity - two G-Shocks, a Citizen GMT, a Seiko ‘Arnie’ and an oddball franken with no name. They’ve all done airport duty and most have done some rough stuff (which I don’t really do anymore). The oddball franken might stay - partly because it has a dead battery, but mostly because I can’t imagine that anyone would take it off my hands.

My Baltic has gone, as has my Nomos Metro. Another ‘main’ watch might go as well.

I will be left with no ‘hangers on’, except for the IWL forum watch and a vintage Memovox. I’m also making space (mental space as much as anything) for something a bit pricey later in the year.

10. Likes Fantasio liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    The oddball franken might stay - partly because it has a dead battery, but mostly because I can’t imagine that anyone would take it off my hands.
    hmmm sounds like a challenge

i'm sure people have call me that too
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

12. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    hmmm sounds like a challenge

I know how to press ismy’s buttons.

Here it is -

Name:  You_Doodle_Pro_2021-11-27T23_37_15Z.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  142.6 KB

I think I’ve called it a Precista-Bitsa and a Notaboc.

It started life as a Precista 17C. The subdials went, along with the subdial arbors. The date moved from 4.30 to 3. In went a Boctok dial. What you’re left with is a one-hour mission timer without running seconds. Or any running now, courtesy of an expired battery.

Yours for the price of a PM with an address.

14. Likes is that my watch, gnuyork liked this post
    What sort of strap would you like?

And I can throw in a travel case.

16. Likes is that my watch liked this post