Likes Likes:  921
Page 1 of 125 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The indecisive watch buyers' thread

The indecisive watch buyers' thread

Since Mike's thread got locked, all of us indecisive types dont have any single thread where we can discuss potential purchases, personal insecurities and other associated watch-related behavioral disorders.

That thread ended up being about high-end watches, but let's make this more all-encompassing. If you want to buy a watch, but cannot decide upon what to get, if you are trying to reduce the list of purchase candidates... this is the thread to share your stream-of-consciousnss thoughts with others.

So let me get the ball rolling - as some of you know, I have 2 themes to my collection: my core collection is planned at 12 watches, and there, my approach is to have a carefully curated collection of watches covering interesting brands, complications, styles and colors. I have 10 complete, and have 2 slots left - #12 will be an End Game Watch (Patek 5712, Lange Chrono or ??).

Slot #11 is still up in the air. Candidates for this include Nomos Club/Metro, VC 1942 and GP 1966. And now, a new entrant.. well, enters... the picture: The Sarpaneva Korona K3. The rationale for this - it would be nice to have one watch in the collection that is different from the rest, either in terms of being more whimsical or in terms of style/materials. I actually would have liked to get a Hublot here, but all their interesting models, with the cutting edge materials, are 44-45mm and too big for my wrists. The Sarpaneva is 42mm and wearable.

Thoughts?

And feel free to share your own watchy indecisiveness. We are among friends here.

2. Likes OhDark30, synequano, watchdaddy1, rodia77 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I like the theme as stated to start this thread, and I just hope people don't get snarky... nor defensive about said snarkiness - which is what started undermining the other thread. Personally? I love unusual watches, and many of the most high-end watches have a certain "ugly" thing that actually makes them interesting. This one is not even slightly ugly, but beautiful and weird. It belongs in a Tolkien book. I like it. Would I wear it often? No, it has a very fringe appeal, the sort of thing the wearer might hope would get noticed, but probably won't (because, let's face it, almost nobody notices our watches.) If you have the money to spend $10k on a beautiful quirky rarely worn watch, I would say sure. But otherwise I would buy a Beijing colored dial Beihei for a similar effect (granted... without the moon or detailed markers, but I think you get my drift.)

Name:  img_6382.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  164.6 KB
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
    Since Mike's thread got locked, all of us indecisive types dont have any single thread where we can discuss potential purchases, personal insecurities and other associated watch-related behavioral disorders.

That thread ended up being about high-end watches, but let's make this more all-encompassing. If you want to buy a watch, but cannot decide upon what to get, if you are trying to reduce the list of purchase candidates... this is the thread to share your stream-of-consciousnss thoughts with others.

So let me get the ball rolling - as some of you know, I have 2 themes to my collection: my core collection is planned at 12 watches, and there, my approach is to have a carefully curated collection of watches covering interesting brands, complications, styles and colors. I have 10 complete, and have 2 slots left - #12 will be an End Game Watch (Patek 5712, Lange Chrono or ??).

Slot #11 is still up in the air. Candidates for this include Nomos Club/Metro, VC 1942 and GP 1966. And now, a new entrant.. well, enters... the picture: The Sarpaneva Korona K3. The rationale for this - it would be nice to have one watch in the collection that is different from the rest, either in terms of being more whimsical or in terms of style/materials. I actually would have liked to get a Hublot here, but all their interesting models, with the cutting edge materials, are 44-45mm and too big for my wrists. The Sarpaneva is 42mm and wearable.

Thoughts?

And feel free to share your own watchy indecisiveness. We are among friends here.
    I love the Sarpeneva. Beautifully finished and totally original. If you want something unique, you really cannot go wrong with that choice. Before the ochs und junior moon phase came along, I was quite certain that a Sarpeneva would be the moon phase for me. It’s a much closer call now, but since it is a dream watch at the moment, I will keep both on the list.

Of the others you mentioned, the Nomos Metro is a great watch. It keeps a lot of what I like about Nomos but raises the bar a bit with a more complex case and dial design. I own 2 Nomos currently and love them both. The Club is an excellent choice in a lower price bracket.

I was not aware that Hublot limited the materials in the <44mm range. I used to dismiss Hublot simply because they only seemed to focus on the Big Bang, but there are many quite lovely models in their lineup now. If they were to do something in the smaller, time only line in tantalum, I’d be all over it in a heartbeat.

You have some excellent options already under consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by vkalia View Post

Thoughts?

I really like that one. I’m not big on green dials, so I might opt for a different color. On the whole though I dig it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Sarpeneva is cool but has to be at a good price. Are you looking for a moonphase watch? This Schaumburg meteorite is incredible in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

Richard

A few things put me off that Sarpaneva -

a) It is pretty damn expensive for what is basically a Soprod movement ($15k+)
    b) I wont be able to try it on in person
    c) I am not sure about the lumed dial - i think that might become a bit too gimmicky

And in typing out the above, i think i have just talked myself out of this watch

Brian - what attracts me about the Hublot is their unashamedly modern designs, using funky materials (ceramic, sapphire, etc) for the case. Most of these innovations are found in their Big Bang range, which is all 44mm and above. The Classic Fusion is smaller and very nice/elegant, but if i want an elegant watch, there are plenty of other contenders. That's not Hublot's raison d'etre

@Skywatch - that Beijing is a lovely watch. But in terms of details, it is missing a certain something that would take it from "nice" to "wow" (eg, in that style of dial, the Sarpaneva has that wow factor, the Breguet Marine has the wow factor).

8. Likes skywatch liked this post

The indecisive watch buyers' thread

@vkalia I like the watch, but I see you have already talked yourself out if it. A big surprise coming from you

Alas. I am not indecisive about my watch purchases.

I am getting the Calatrava in a few weeks. The Lange 1 Moonphase is in the Lange boutique’s vault for me. Once the blue dial Saxonia 39mm arrives that will also go in the vault. I will then compare the watches and decide then and there what to buy.

After this, will be a Rolex OP 39mm (blue dial) in a couple of years. Following that will be a Cartier Drive Extra Flat 39mm in SS. Tried on the rose gold version and it fit great. However, I don’t want or need another gold watch. The SS version is a damn great watch for an even better price.

And then there will only be one choice to make. If VC or Journe release a watch I truly desire that will be the mythical final watch.

Not going to lie; I am burned out on watches. Love the ones I have and plan to have. However, not interested in anymore high end watches. I don’t want a bunch of mid-tier watches. And, for me, I would rather spend the money on many, many other things than spend it on so-called affordables.

In other words, stick a fork in me; I am done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TJMike5150; Feb 3, 2018 at 02:15 PM.

The Club is my next watch, the Metro may be the one after that.

There isn’t a Sarpaneva watch that I don’t like, but I prefer the models with the ‘grille’ dials. The one pictured is splendid, but with Sarpaneva I’d probably want the whole gothic kit and kaboodle.

11. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    I like the sarpaneva before I dig deeper into the price etc...

For whimsical I'd get that watch with eyes and mouth from last year Basel,I forgot the brand though...

It’s the Joker Watch by Konstantin Chayken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Likes Cybotron, synequano liked this post