Likes Likes:  921
Page 23 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: The indecisive watch buyers' thread

words beginning to be emblazoned on my mind Lange 1 , Calatrava , and Saxonia

2. Likes vkalia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Vkalia, I do find it interesting that we enjoy a similar aesthetic, at opposite ends of the cost spectrum :-)
    Not necessarily opposite.

One of my favorite watches - and the watch which still holds a record for maximum consecutive days on the wrist - was the Orient Star Classic.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

4. Likes OhDark30, tribe125 liked this post
    Yes, that’s a nice one too :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Quote Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
    Not really. A Zenith doesnt have the same level of workmanship as a Patek. They look similar, and that's about it - and if we go down that road, this can be applied to the entire high-end segment. Now, on a watch forum where people ARE interested in high-end dress watches, it is a safe assumption that workmanship matters.

I probably I should have written a bit more since my point is beings missed. I already made it clear about the price variations. More I'm suggesting this due to the history of the OP for preferring very thin watches and certain other features. The Zenith is 1mm thinner than the PP possibly because it does not include the hunter case back? It has a thinner looking case and bezel with a dial that stretches to the edge and hands that utilize more of the dial. Spec wise these two have movements that almost mirror each other with only the 2 hours extra power reserve for the Zenith. Finish and materials wise obviously you get what you pay for(The PP is white gold which accounts for a chunk of its price). Add that I believe this would be an additional PP (Or did he cancel the other)for the OP so he may want a different brand in his collect? Options are good even if you can spend the $34,700 (According to the PP site) for several watches?
    Last edited by Samanator; Feb 23, 2018 at 12:46 AM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    I probably I should have written a bit more since my point is beings missed. I already made it clear about the price variations. More I'm suggesting this due to the history of the OP for preferring very thin watches and certain other features. The Zenith is 1mm thinner than the PP possibly because it does not include the hunter case back? It has a thinner looking case and bezel with a dial that stretches to the edge and hands that utilize more of the dial. Spec wise these two have movements that almost mirror each other with only the 2 hours extra power reserve for the Zenith. Finish and materials wise obviously you get what you pay for(The PP is white gold which accounts for a chunk of its price). Add that I believe this would be an additional PP (Or did he cancel the other)for the OP so he may want a different brand in his collect? Options are good even if you can spend the $34,700 (According to the PP site) for several watches?
    Vkalia is the OP, not me.

Also, all I said was that I love that black dial PP Calatrava (while also mentioning I don’t love the price). There are many watches I love, but will never buy. I also noted that if I do get another high end watch it will be 5+ years before I am in a position to buy. The chance I get that PP is minuscule at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
    Ah ok, fair points. I didnt realize it was a lacquer dial - or that center sweeps cost more (learn something new every day).

I dont have enough black dial /steel case watches (AP & Blancpain are the only 2 - the Cartier is all black), and so wouldnt mind getting a dressy-ish watch in that style. But by every consideration OTHER than the name on the dial, the Parmigiani Tonda meteorite beats it hollow. And a meteorite dial - the sci fi/space junkie in me gets very excited about meteorite dials.
    I do like the Tonda. However, on looks alone the PP is far superior.

I probably I should have written a bit more since my point is beings missed. I already made it clear about the price variations. More I'm suggesting this due to the history of the OP for preferring very thin watches and certain other features.
    Ah OK, I misunderstood your post. Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, that makes sense. And Zenith are actually amazingly well finished for what they actually sell for.

Plus, put me in the camp that doesn't see the point of paying for white gold.

Sent from my SM-C900F using Tapatalk

The Zenith is thicker than the PP. The black dial is blah (blue is nice). White gold is great, but I always prefer SS if given the option.

Quote Originally Posted by TJMike5150 View Post
    The Zenith is thicker than the PP. The black dial is blah (blue is nice). White gold is great, but I always prefer SS if given the option.

The Zenith Ultra Thin that I was thinking of is 7.6mm and has an amazing black Starburst dial(It is a small second versus a center like the captain). The classic is 9.45 and the captain is 9mm which are a hair bigger than the PP.
    Last edited by Samanator; Feb 23, 2018 at 08:57 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

The Zenith Ultra Thin that I was thinking of is 7.6mm and has an amazing black Starburst dial(It is a small second versus a center like the captain). The classic is 9.45 and the captain is 9mm which are a hair bigger than the PP.
    Are you thinking of this one Michael? I used to own it in silver. Great watch. I like the black better.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

Richard

13. Likes hayday liked this post