Likes Likes:  921
Page 3 of 125 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The indecisive watch buyers' thread

Think I'm pretty much done but the blue dialed RO 15450 has so enchanted I keep thinking about the ruthenium dial model too . . . but Basel is coming and if Rolex does anything close to the Polar Exp featured in the monochrome thread, oboy, sigh . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Likes JAGtime, synequano, popoki nui, geoffbot liked this post

The indecisive watch buyers' thread

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    I'm up in the air about my next purchase, still going between the Speedy Pro and the Zenith Captain chronograph. I believe I'm tying too hard to establish use case scenarios instead of just buying what I really like. If that's the case, the Zenith wins out as I have had my eye on the 3 hander version for a very long time, and this, for sure, scratches that itch and more.

Attachment 72753

After that, I'm thinking I want a great "dressy diver". I have the Ball X-Lume that does "toolish" very well, and of course, my Revolution, the baby tuna and a monster. Normally, I'd not want so many watches in the same category, but my wardrobe, outside of work anyway, is very casual. I need to fight the urge for a balanced use case scenario collection when my life is balanced another way.

I'm thinking the Breguet Marine, but that wears a bit small on the wrist. The only other dressy diver that appeals to me is the Breitling SOH, 42, and Ive had that before, but maybe I need to retrench on that one?

Attachment 72754

The VC is, at least for now, considered a keeper, along with the GS, and as I have been living with the VC as a lone watch for over a week now, I am feeling I can live with three watches in total, one GADA like the VC, the GS as a smart casual or even "dressy" watch, and the Ball. Am I done then? Probably not....

You did say this thread was for random, stream of consciousness thoughts.....right? Glad to oblige, and thanks for starting it!
    The new SOH has the Tudor movement, an actual lumed pip, and a ceramic bezel insert.

Might I suggest the BP Bathyscape as an option for your dress Diver? The other suggestions are the 620 or 619 Panerai. Nothings says dress Diver more than that, and these are thin and very nicely done. Of course there is always the Sub. For something different there is the Hublot Classic fusion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Samanator; Feb 3, 2018 at 10:19 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

The indecisive watch buyers' thread

Quote Originally Posted by vkalia View Post

@TJMike5150 - over? It isnt over till its over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??? And wait. When did a Rolex SS watch enter the buying equation? Good job, though. I do think that if you are in that price league, you need to have a Rolex sports watch in your collection (it's kinda like a nice pair of blue jeans in the wardrobe - a staple). Is the Cartier a go as well?

And what about the Watch That Started It All - the Breguet? Shirley you have space for that!
    The Rolex entered the equation a few months back. All those stupid Rolex threads at the other place kept the watch in my mind. Would like another watch to wear around the house (would go into rotation with the De Ville and Grand Seiko GMT). Once I realized the price of the Rolex OP it seemed a nice option. I thought the Oyster Perpetual was at least $10,000. As it is mid-$5k I reconciled the price with the quality. A good everyday around the house watch.

The Cartier is a go. The only thing that will prevent me getting the Extra Flat is another SS Cartier.

As much as I love Breguet dials, I dislike Breguet lugs. So no Breguet for me.

The Rolex and Cartier will be, hopefully, acquired in the next 6-7 years. Just saving X amount per month. So I have a lot of time to regain my indecisiveness when it comes to watches

However, as mentioned before, no more high-end stuff. Don’t want another gold dress watch, don’t want to pay high end prices for SS, as much as I try to talk myself into a calendar, it is great in theory not in reality. Things could change, and there could be a mythical final watch, but it HAS to come from a high end brand that I don’t own. All these self-imposed rules limits choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TJMike5150; Feb 3, 2018 at 10:37 PM.

I figured I’d add this here from the other thread. I've wanted to get one of the GP Seahawks for several years now. Now that we have one of the older models showing up in the WRUW I was motivated to start looking again only to find that apparently, GP discontinued it and the chronograph Hawk. So if I'm going to do this it needs to be soon. I'm going back and forth between the Blue dial on rubber with deployant and this sort of formal looking variant if I can find one. The more formal one has a rubber strap with the alligator inlay like the Zenith so it should be waterproof. I don't currently have a blue dial watch, and this one is kind of sweet. My reservation is that it was Ariel Adams favorite combo, and I almost never agree with him on these things.

Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    I figured I’d add this here from the other thread. I've wanted to get one of the GP Seahawks for several years now. Now that we have one of the older models showing up in the WRUW I was motivated to start looking again only to find that apparently, GP discontinued it and the chronograph Hawk. So if I'm going to do this it needs to be soon. I'm going back and forth between the Blue dial on rubber with deployant and this sort of formal looking variant if I can find one. The more formal one has a rubber strap with the alligator inlay like the Zenith so it should be waterproof. I don't currently have a blue dial watch, and this one is kind of sweet. My reservation is that it was Ariel Adams favorite combo, and I almost never agree with him on these things.

That really looks nice, love the interplay of the colors and/on the sub dials!!

Quote Originally Posted by TJMike5150 View Post
    A good everyday around the house watch.

I’m genuinely puzzled. What would make a watch suitable or unsuitable for wearing at home?

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I’m genuinely puzzled. What would make a watch suitable or unsuitable for wearing at home?
    With a three year old running around, gold dress watches are not suitable for home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the first time I'm not really lusting after anything right now. I'm waiting to see what Baselworld as in store then will play it by ear. Although Bulgari, Parmigiani, & Hublot are in the mix.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

Richard

10. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMike5150 View Post
    With a three year old running around, gold dress watches are not suitable for home.

I have little knowledge of three year olds, but I think they’d have to be wielding hammers to influence my watch choice.

12. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Surely, just a lapsus.
    Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    that was shortly after the Swiss invaded Poland
    Come on people - i thought we were all culturally savvy here. @Crownpuller, you, sir, trod this forum like a colossus of culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

@mlcor - re the finishing: that's disappointing. The only reason to consider the watch would have been if the finishing was indeed top notch. But that's the issue with really small volume production - the cost basis tends to be a lot higher. If I played in the "cost no object" leagues, I would pay that premium for the exclusivity, but there are plenty of other watches which offer great finishing AND have an interesting backstory in that price range.

That was the final nail in the coffin for me.