Likes Likes:  921
Page 53 of 125 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: The indecisive watch buyers' thread

Retard

I hoped it would resolve itself amicably, but with my moderator hat set at a jaunty angle, here’s my take on the use of ‘retard’.

It’s an American thing. I’m a Brit, and we didn’t use ‘mentally retarded’ as a diagnostic term, so consequently we don’t have ‘retard’ as an abusive term. You might hear it used once in a while, but mostly by impressionable teenagers aping their American cousins. Most of them probably don’t know the derivation. We do have equivalent terms which would be regarded as unacceptable in general conversation.

I’ve been around forums long enough to know that ‘retard’ causes considerable offence, and not just to sensitive souls easily offended. At Watchuseek, for example, its use would result in multiple reports to the moderators, who would then edit the post.

And here on IWL? Moderators rarely have to intercede because members ‘self-edit’ when posting. It would be good not to see ‘retard’ again.

2. Likes is that my watch, skywatch, hayday liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Retard

I hoped it would resolve itself amicably, but with my moderator hat set at a jaunty angle, here’s my take on the use of ‘retard’.

It’s an American thing. I’m a Brit, and we didn’t use ‘mentally retarded’ as a diagnostic term, so consequently we don’t have ‘retard’ as an abusive term. You might hear it used once in a while, but mostly by impressionable teenagers aping their American cousins. Most of them probably don’t know the derivation. We do have equivalent terms which would be regarded as unacceptable in general conversation.

I’ve been around forums long enough to know that ‘retard’ causes considerable offence, and not just to sensitive souls easily offended. At Watchuseek, for example, its use would result in multiple reports to the moderators, who would then edit the post.

And here on IWL? Moderators rarely have to intercede because members ‘self-edit’ when posting. It would be good not to see ‘retard’ again.
    Thought it was setting

Name:  regulator.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  139.6 KBName:  images.jpeg
Views: 137
Size:  11.7 KB

http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/wa...CC=1645153514&

Quote Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
    *phew* For a second, i thought i was mentally-and/or-visually-challenged . But as per the article, the Marines dont have it.

I had picked up the Breguet while in Russia at a very good price and initially was a bit concerned about authenticity, even though the movement checked out. Just got the watch back from service a few weeks ago, so obviously it checked out, but i still had a bit of a "uh oh" moment yesterday.

(Side note - if anyone is looking for high-end watches at great prices, I strongly recommend flying to Moscow with fistfuls of cash. They had the FPJ C/Blue for $21k, new, IIRC, when i was there last)

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Bit of a Breguet feature, those markers. You can see them here -

Attachment 75159
    They seem a bit more connected on the blue dial.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

The 2018 Rolex Basel releases are starting to be delivered. I got a call yesterday from my AD to alert me that the black dial 39mm OP is in store if I wanted it. While tempting to be one of the first people in the world to own it, I said I will stick to the original plan and get it next year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMike5150 View Post
    The 2018 Rolex Basel releases are starting to be delivered. I got a call yesterday from my AD to alert me that the black dial 39mm OP is in store if I wanted it. While tempting to be one of the first people in the world to own it, I said I will stick to the original plan and get it next year.
    The white dial is giving me pause on a polar 16570.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

The indecisive watch buyers' thread

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    The white dial is giving me pause on a polar 16570.
    Can anyone who gets a chance to see the white OP comment on how it compares to the polar white dial?

I want to sell the Polar Exp2 (wtf, autocorrect - Experience???), but I want to get another white dialled sports watch.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by vkalia; May 14, 2018 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
    Can anyone who gets a chance to see the white OP comment on how it compares to the polar white dial?

I want to sell the Polar Exp2 (wtf, autocorrect - Experience???), but I want to get another white dialled sports watch.

Why don’t you take a trip to KL and check it out?

There are also photos of the watch in the wild. I have seen a few photos on The Rolex Forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TJMike5150 View Post
    Why don’t you take a trip to KL and check it out?

There are also photos of the watch in the wild. I have seen a few photos on The Rolex Forum.

KL - can't for a while. Have some other plans for the next few months.

I've seen photos as well, but it is hard to judge tone perfectly from them.

I am in Italy next month - will try to find it there, if I can...

Quote Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
    KL - can't for a while. Have some other plans for the next few months.

I've seen photos as well, but it is hard to judge tone perfectly from them.

I am in Italy next month - will try to find it there, if I can...

If you have not done so already, ask at WUS and/or The Rolex Forum. Someone at either place would have seen the watch in person.

12. Likes vkalia liked this post