Likes Likes:  27
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: its official -im mad

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    have you every played squash ? as a medium squash ball can work
    I used one till someone got me a ball back opener ..would imagine a stress relieve ball would work too or you can order a ball back opener for a couple of quid
    well 99p from china with a wait of weeks https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-Bac...QAAOSw8cNUUaSJ

or the uk for £3 or £4 and a couple of day wait

well not bad and in the uk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-Repa...QAAOSwnw9aAqDm
    the last one i had which was useless for my needs was last seen in my dogs jaws [thankfully]-
    they may work on a lightweight back but not on something thats engineered to stay fast

Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    the last one i had which was useless for my needs was last seen in my dogs jaws [thankfully]-
    they may work on a lightweight back but not on something thats engineered to stay fast
    they do work on some but you have to secure the watch remember one time had a right bugger to get one off so I clamp my movement holder to a work bench and then I used the ball on it worked fine then

if you look at the back of the watch their is the other way but not cheap there are hexagon back remover but I have never paid that sort of money for a set can't remember the price but they was steep

sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

3. Likes Broker liked this post
    well not terrible price to some I have seen

http://www.ofrei.com/page557.html
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

I think I have read of a watchmaker supergluing a nut to a case back and then using a spanner. The nut then comes off with solvent.

Sounds drastic, admittedly.

6. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I think I have read of a watchmaker supergluing a nut to a case back and then using a spanner. The nut then comes off with solvent.

I assume that watch didn't have a transparent case back.

9. Likes CFR, litlmn, iyonk liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post

This very trick has done it for me several times, in the most difficult circumstances. It works a treat, actually. Here's the procedure:

1) Clamp watch securely in a holder, into a table vise. (I use a standard hobby vise with tough leather pads glued to the inside of the clamps to prevent scratching the cases.)

2) Find an old, sturdy, unwanted stainless steel butter knife, or of you have a good socket wrench set, find a very large SS nut that fits one of the larger sockets.

3) Using super glue (cyanoacrylate) affix the knife or nut to the back of the watch.

4) Use the handle of the knife (or socket wrench) to rotate the back off of the watch. The first start is the hardest, because there is probably some rust glueing the threads together. Once the initial movement starts, it should be relatively easy to turn it a full turn or so, until it comes off with finger-pressure.

5) Using acetone or strong nail-polish remover, soak the butter knife or nut off of the back of the watch, and clean the remaining glue from the watch back.

Done! It works quite well for even the most recalcitrant cases.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

11. Likes FuzzyB, geoffbot, litlmn liked this post
    What an intriguing piece - Would love to see it saved.

If you've time to spare waiting for 'your man', I tend to go with the gently gently approach as I wouldn't want to risk scratching the case back; couple of suggestions:

1. PlusGas releasing fluid - Watch face down, trickle a little moat around the seal and leave overnight. Don't bother with WD40. Have a go with the sticky ball the next day.
    2. A little heat therapy - Leave it on a radiator (warm obviously) for a while. If the seal has gone hard/brittle, this can soften it enough to stretch or crack it. Again with the sticky ball.

Another tip: Try to tighten it a little before undoing it, this can sometimes 'crack' a seized thread.

Incidentally.... Yes, you're barking .... But since when was sanity a prerequisite for this hobby ?
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

13. Likes shameless liked this post
    ^^ thats the very word for it -'intriguing' - thankyou all for suggestions -i'm familiar with most but i will leave it to a professional i think - f i managed to open it i would still need a pro opinion on the possibilities or viability-there is good value in the case alone so i will leave it be -the guy i use is very good -but again thankyou all for your interest -as for the monkey wrench the hexagon back is far too shallow
    Last edited by shameless; Feb 14, 2018 at 10:16 AM.