Likes Likes:  56
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebay do's and don'ts

Ebay do's and don'ts

always hearing of misfortune on buying and selling on the Bay -perhaps we can offer help and advice from our own experiences that may help avoid disappointment to others
    my own first advice would be never to get back from the pub having consumed seven or eights pints and buy a watch

2. Likes popoki nui, geoffbot, hayday, Mystic Nerd liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    my own first advice would be never to get back from the pub having consumed seven or eights pints and buy a watch

Indeed... nor while tucking into that second bottle of wine long after dinner while trying to avoid working on something boring on the computer late at night while the rest of the house is asleep, thinking, "Huh, I haven't checked on that good seller in Donbass in ages, I wonder if he has any interesting clean 2209 Luchs like he had a few years ago. Oh, look at that, "Buy It Now" for only $61, couldn't hurt to pick up another."

Not that I would know... or anything...
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

sorry -i really hadn't seen until just now some last few posts on affordables that touch on the subject - nevertheless !

don't do it !!

specially of late there's lowballers for a start and I mean insulting low lowballers then their are fool's who win a bid then a hour after it finished ask for it be cancelled as was bidding on two watches and won the other one too

plus they just won't make what you hope they will take a seiko modded 7002 worth a hundred right went unsold
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

6. Likes shameless, skywatch liked this post
    ebay auctions are, and always were, a bit of a gamble: And like all gambling - The 'house' always wins. Occasionally you'll win, more-often you won't; if you break even you're doing ok. The 'house' still gets its cut.
    Personally, I never 'gamble' more than I can afford to lose.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

8. Likes shameless, skywatch, hayday liked this post
    I stick to reliable sellers that just use Buy It Now. But that can lead to a whole different problem of the empty wallet variety...

10. Likes shameless, skywatch, ctimrun liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
    I stick to reliable sellers that just use Buy It Now. But that can lead to a whole different problem of the empty wallet variety...
    but buy now some time's over inflates prices take the seiko I mention early I have seen them on buy now at £150 and above I tried it at that nothing even a ton and nothing so some times it can lead to price being well off the really selling prices. so buy nows are not always the best .. I some time use them to try out watches give them a few days at buy now open to offer prices then if no good a low start prices and hope to bring in interest

as I say also depends where you are and what you got... think in the uk theirs an all time low with people just not having the money some of the stuff if I had sold it last year or the year before would have got a lot higher ..so guessing bad for the seller but good for the buyer maybe
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    ebay auctions are, and always were, a bit of a gamble: And like all gambling - The 'house' always wins. Occasionally you'll win, more-often you won't; if you break even you're doing ok. The 'house' still gets its cut.
    Personally, I never 'gamble' more than I can afford to lose.
    very good point if you don't want to risk giving it away always put a sense-able reserve on it .. take a cooper I was selling today when I bought it I thought I got it cheap ..tried it on the buy now at what some I had saw was asking and not much luck so I started it at what I had paid so if it sold least I would break even give or take a couple of quid and it sold for just over that so win some lose a good few
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

i think also nowadays with camera phone quality, there can be no excuse for poor quality images - if one is interested in a watch ask the seller to provide better images- had to do it tonight on a military watch where the serial nos on the back were indecipherable -so one is able to clearly see any cosmetic damage or any outward sign of non original parts -depending on the outlay where necessary or feasible always ask to see the movement therein

14. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    had to do it tonight on a military watch where the serial nos on the back were indecipherable
    Was that really the photo’s or the effects of the "seven or eight consumed pints"
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

16. Likes shameless liked this post