Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: **** So was thinking of doing another more for a score comp ****

**** So was thinking of doing another more for a score comp ****

So before I do just wondering will their be enough interest in one ? any theme you might have an idea for.. theirs two in mind so far so I have not picked one yet last time their was no theme really and it worked well but just thought we could change it up a bit to keep it fresh ? .
    Themes so far thought of...

pocket watches

swatch or similar type watches thinking the idea was probably any plastic quartz ( hope brian will in large on his idea )

we had a good selection last time so was going to go along the same lines for the actually running of the comp so just going to see what general feedback we get then if we want one and we decide on what theme / no theme is I will put something together the weekend

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes Matt liked this post
    I have to defend my title, so obviously I'm in; whatever format it follows.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

4. Likes is that my watch, Matt liked this post
    I’m in whatever the theme.

6. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Count me in

8. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    sounding good so far .. took a look on the bay and saw some good reasonable price p.w out their suppose if we was to open it up a bit and say conversion pieces as well got lots of trench watches too then ... so might just go age anything 1970's and before maybe .. yes am liking that ...

so am really think the theme could be watches from 1979's and before which will include all of the 70's as their are so fine 70's watch about hows that sound
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

That's enough to drag me straight out of lurking. I'm happy to go with the majority, but I have to say that trench watches and pocket watches sounds both tempting and very much where the extreme value is at the moment. with silver and even gold stuff potentially falling into that price with a bit of luck. .

The only concern with having a date cut off is working out quite when a watch came from. We'd need to think of a sensible rule for that one.

*lurks off to ebay with £20 in his back pocket*

Now, I suppose I should ante up as I never post anything. Anyone want to know about the proto moonwatch on Everest in 1953...
    Last edited by Matt; Feb 24, 2018 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    That's enough to drag me out of lurking. I'm happy to go with the majority, but I have to say that trench watches and pocket watches sounds both tempting and very much where the extreme value is at the moment. with silver and gold stuff potentially falling into that price with a bit of luck.

The only concern with having a date cut off is working out quite when a watch came from. We'd need to think of a sensible rule for that one.

*lurks off to ebay with £20 in his back pocket*

Now, I suppose I should ante up as I never post anything. Anyone want to know about the proto moonwatch on Everest in 1953...
    maybe we just go in easy and if it feel and looks old then so be it ...we never really get caught up in to many rules really do we spoils the fun I find so oldish looking before 1979 ish

but sill looking for a firm idea as keep bouncing around from p.w to conversion's to full trench watch so might do a theme maybe a guideline of vintage feel possible on the mil side maybe just try to think of the words to use as there are so many great old watches just over looked because they don't come up in chat much unless on some of the vintage forums or an odd pic I post among other members in the wruw central
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    maybe we just go in easy and if it feel and looks old then so be it ...we never really get caught up in to many rules really do we spoils the fun I find so oldish looking before 1979 ish
    True, and you make being the judge of such stuff look easy, so that works for me.

but sill looking for a firm idea as keep bouncing around from p.w to conversion's to full trench watch so might do a theme maybe a guideline of vintage feel possible on the mil side maybe just try to think of the words to use as there are so many great old watches just over looked because they don't come up in chat much unless on some of the vintage forums or an odd pic I post among other members in the wruw central
    When £20 might (on a very good day) get you a thermocompensated Seiko and a solid silver Zenith trench watch, I can't help feeling that making a fair judgement will be a bit of a challenge. Go on, be daring, go pre 1950s so we have to really get to grips with a different set of watches. Because if we go up the seventies it will alm0ost certainly be a seventies watch that wins.

yes thought of that but not all but a lot of 50s and before tend to be small and for the most part in the £20 range faulty in some way so could put members off playing

so want some thing fun / a little trying maybe ...and if we all learn something new a bonus so want to encourage members to play and maybe find out about something that may spike their interest in old watches ..

maybe could be simple has to be a mech this time maybe ?
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Read the fruits of your Everest research elsewhere, and it’s pretty much definitive.

A synopsis here would be no bad thing - if you have the time.

15. Likes is that my watch liked this post