Anybody up for the high end?

Hamilton 940. This is the big one, 18S.

Name:  h940b.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  h940c.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  69.8 KB
    Display case and adjusted to five positions. It rarely gets better than this!

Dan

2. Likes Еmre, Der Amf, Mediocre liked this post
    Blog Entries
    About as good as it gets in 18S. Great manufacturer, RR Grade, 21 jewels, made 1911 and in a salesman's presentation case. Beautiful watch, Dan.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

4. Likes Dan R liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks! I can't remember if the case came with the watch or not. I have an annoying habit of removing the back to see the beautiful movement running, so I may have acquired the case to avoid this!

Dan

Blog Entries
    Well a lot of high grade RR stuff ended up in cheap cases because they were the original "tool watches" and the owner had to buy something really great to work on the railroad. After he finished with the movement, there often wasn't much cash left to spend on the case. So if the case isn't original, you probably didn't sacrifice much. Those presentation cases are collectible in their own right.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

Nice! They knew how to make watches in those days!!

Are we doing pocket watches? Got this chronograph repeater after being stripped of my WUSsie privileges:

9. Likes Dan R, Mediocre liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Very nice indeed! What brand is it? I am having a hard time making out the inscription on the back.

Welcome & thanks!

Dan

I honestly have no idea what brand it is Dan. Even Jim Michaels (the former instructor at the NAWCC school, who did the service) couldn't tell me for sure.

Savagely Average
    My pocket watch is in a safety deposit box, nothing fancy though. It is a sentimental piece, passed down from my grandfather.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediocre View Post
    My pocket watch is in a safety deposit box, nothing fancy though. It is a sentimental piece, passed down from my grandfather.
    So, if you don't mind discussing, how did you run across something like this. I am curious as I am like a butterfly on the internet, flitting here and flitting there. Occasionally I run across something interesting, but not to this degree.

Thanks!

Dan