Likes Likes:  79
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: High-end?

Ric Capucho

High-end?

So what exactly counts as a high-end watch?

Ric

2. Likes docvail liked this post
    Ah. Here we go....

I suppose it's one of those things that you know when you see it.

For me personally, it's sometimes about brand though not always (Seiko makes some watches which are High End while I wouldn't feel comfortable using the term for a quartz AP (not because quartz can't be "High End" but because those quartzes aren't, imo).

It's sometimes about being entirely manufacture though not always (a Royal Oak Jumbo is High End despite the fact that the guts might have been bought from someone else whereas a Swatch isn't).

It's sometimes about an impressive complication though not always (what can you call a slim, perfect, time-only Calatrava if not "High End").

It's never ever, EVER about gold or platinum or diamonds though all three might be- and often are-present.

I suppose it's a subjective thing. That's my take. Please feel free to disagree or debate.

4. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Sort of like vintage - not sure I can define it but I know one when I see it.
    BTW take a look at Dan's Hamilton 940 in the vintage section - that was high end enough back in 1910.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

6. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Ric Capucho
    Seems to me that the likes of Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, A. Lange & Söhne, and Jaeger le Coultre are definitely high-end.

But there are a number of brands that might be thought of as high-end to the typical high street shopper, but wouldn't qualify to the average WIS. I'm thinking Rolex, Omega, Zenith and the like.

Ric

Too subjective for me, really depends on who you're asking I guess, I wouldn't know where to begin/end . . .

Blog Entries
    I know it is/was always a problem in Vintage. Eventually we adopted the attitude that we'd discuss it if you thought you had a vintage watch. I mean quartz is probably vintage if it's 1980 or earlier.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

Quote Originally Posted by Ric Capucho View Post
    So what exactly counts as a high-end watch?

Ric
    Watches that were priced, when new, to exclude those who lived on their paychecks, with the possible exception of the most successful attorneys and doctors, and with the exception of enthusiast collectors.

Works for vintage and modern.

Rick "thinking it works without eliminating opportunities for debate" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

11. Likes docvail, oak1971 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    100 years ago railroad guys had to buy a really high end movement as a condition of employment - and they usually put this lovely tool into a scuzzy gold filled or Silverode case. They spent the money for performance.
    Of course if you were the Road Superintendent you could get a Howard and put it in a solid gold case, and there'd be no doubt you had a high end watch.
    You'd still need a railroad dial and hands, and an open face movement and case though.

13. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    I like to use High End on watches of a higher ( than industry standard) workmanship and quality.
    Also I like a small-ish production for these watches.

Most people ( average Joe) see High End on price alone.

I own two quartz chronographs that sum up the problem of high end perfectly. On the one hand, there is the JLC mecaquartz. There's no doubt that this is high end. However, I also have literally dozens of Seiko 7A28 / 38 / 48 powered watches because you can pick them up for nothing. By any criteria I know, the 7A38 is a superior movement. The same problem happens with, for example, with Universal polerouters. Things get worse when you compare two movements that are essentially identical. Tissot and Breguet?

Sure the Breguet will look nicer, but is that enough?

And I didn't even mention vintage Certina...

How about high end is about being able to explain why it is high end so people agree.