Likes Likes:  267
Page 45 of 140 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: SOCCER SPORT Part II

In fairness, I think he was a revelation to many of us.

He doesn’t seem the sort to go off the boil, either. He could have that job for a decade.

2. Likes Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    In fairness, I think he was a revelation to many of us.

He doesn’t seem the sort to go off the boil, either. He could have that job for a decade.
    True. He’s very young, he’ll only get better. I mean, he looks so young, I think his mom had to pick him up outside of the stadium to go back to England because he’s not allowed to fly alone.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Cant see any winner other than France here

Croatia hard done by in that game, but I’m delighted for Pogba and Mbappé.

France definitely the most powerful force in world football today.

Blog Entries
    Well done and well deserved.

Name:  518B462E-4A40-40A2-8801-E403ED9C4D7B.jpeg
Views: 74
Size:  67.4 KB

Macron

8. Likes Raza, OhDark30, synequano liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Little bit of a news roundup:

Alisson to Liverpool for a record €70m is all but a done deal. Apparently he was in for a medical yesterday and Roma has already issued a statement defending their decision to sell. Personally, I’m not sure this is the right move. I’d rather have Butland for half that.

Newcastle is on the verge of offloading Mitrovic for £20m and replacing him with Rondon for a reported £16m. Could work out well for Rafa and Newcastle.

Alexis Sanchez was denied a visa to the United States for Manchester United’s preseason tour because of a fraud conviction in Spain, but he is working with a lawyer to get a waiver. Currently, he’s set to miss the US leg of preseason. Personally, I find this hilarious.

USWNT defender Jaelene Hinkle was recalled to the squad after being dropped last year when she refused to wear a shirt honoring LGBT pride month because it was “incompatible with her Christian faith”. Personally, I’m disappointed.

Jurgen Klopp revealed that Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s injury was far more serious than they originally let on, a strategy devised with Ox meant not to distract from the Champions League run. “Typical of Ox, he didn't want the news to overshadow the end of the season and, to be quite honest, we thought we could wait and tell people at an appropriate time.” Apparently, he will miss the majority of this season in recovery. Personally, I’m deeply saddened, as he was excellent last season and seems like a great kid off the field as well.

Barcelona reportedly to offer Ousmane Dembele in exchange for Chelsea’s Hazard. Hazard seems to be a sought after man, with Neymar set to refuse any approach from Real Madrid, opting rather to stay at PSG. Seems like Eden Hazard is the next logical choice for both Real Madrid and Barcelona. Chelsea seems like it’s in disarray—new manager midway through the window, a shortened transfer period, and the very real possibility of losing both Hazard and Courtois could spell a bad year for the Blues. Unless.....

Brendan Rodgers washout and talented Serie A star Suso may be on his way to Chelsea; his exit clause has expired, but it’s still possible for him to move. Milan will be hoping to get near the €40m the clause was for, but any amount will be a profit, as they signed him for free. Good move, Rodgers.

10. Likes litlmn liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Alright, some more transfer talk. Seems that promoted sides and other minnows are having a bit of a moment in the spotlight. While Liverpool is splashing the cash on Alisson, Wolverhampton has secured Portugal keeper Rui Patricio from Sporting for free after his contract (along with several others including Gelson Martins) was cancelled following an attack on the players by fans. Patricio may not be a household name and he may not be considered in the same class as De Gea, Neuer, Lloris, or Courtois, but make no mistake, he’s a very talented and high quality goalkeeper, and at only 30 years old, he’s got a few years of life in him yet at that position. Good move for Wolves.

Fulham, in addition to being a far superior team to Onlypartoftheham, has signed Jean Michael Seri—a player that just last season was sought after by clubs like Arsenal. Whether or not he lived up to the hype in Italy, that’s a statement signing by Fulham. They don’t look like they’re going up to the Prem just to have a spirited run and go back down.

Can we call Leicester a smaller team now that world class players like Mahrez and Kante are gone and talisman Vardy is getting to that uncomfortable distance last 30 for a striker who relies heavily on speed? Well, they signed creative Coventry youngster James Maddison, who made Norwich tick last year. If their scouting of Mahrez and Kante are any indication, this kid could be immense. 21 years old, so while it may take some time to adjust to the top flight, he’s a sign of future planning. I really love Leicester’s spirit, and I’m hoping to see them secure Premier League football for years to come.

West Ham fans have reason to rejoice—Felipe Anderson is an exciting character and he will add a lot to their squad. Not sure I’d call West Ham a minnow, but this could be a show of intent; with their new record signing Anderson they could contend for a Europa League spot and really raise the profile of the team internationally. Can’t speak to how the English feel about the Hammers, but as an American, I can say they’re looked at as an also-ran. There aren’t any US-based fans of West Ham. After this season, there might be.

This shortened window could lead to an interesting season. Reminds me of when Formula 1 introduced KERS and the competition got all topsy turvy. Teams who do well under the pressure of the small transfer period could seriously upset the balance in the Prem.

Blog Entries
    Another coup for Fulham? Or has Andre Schurrle fallen so far he can’t get work anywhere else?

Also, Chelsea is apparently a medical away from signing 38 year old goalkeeper Rob Green.

And, if you haven’t heard yet, Watford’s Richarlison has joined Everton for a club record £50m. He’s a good player, but I can’t help but feel that Watford robbed Everton blind.

Gelson Martins is officially at Atletico Madrid now, following a free transfer due to his Sporting contract cancellation. Rumors swirling around Atletico, with Martins now confirmed, Lemar a strong possibility, and Giroud being talked about, it seems that they’re preparing for life after Griezmann. But where is he going?
    Last edited by Raza; Jul 25, 2018 at 03:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Third string keeper Danny Ward has moved from Liverpool to Leicester for £12.5m. Feels like a lot of money to me. I still don’t see him getting a start for Leicester.