Likes Likes:  267
Page 2 of 140 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: SOCCER SPORT Part II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    come on buddy -we can't beat twelve men - the second goal was good and you were getting hammered and would have fallen apart at 3-2 -and you know it
    Excuses, excuses. The referee was wild all over the map, making strange calls against both teams. Pundits seem to be leaning that it was indeed a correct offside call. Sané loves being offside, seems like he didn’t know how to be onside all match.

Truth of the matter is Pep threw the game away when he mouthed off to the referee and got himself sent off.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

ok Raza ! keep taking the medication -

Blog Entries
    ok Raza ! keep taking the medication -
    We beat you three times out of four and the only reason you won one was a bullshit red card. Keep taking your medicine, Liverpool will keep doling it out.

This comment looks about right -

“Some big decisions went Liverpool’s way but City had 3 shots on target over 180 minutes. That’s why they’re out.”

5. Likes OTGabe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Excuses, excuses. The referee was wild all over the map, making strange calls against both teams. Pundits seem to be leaning that it was indeed a correct offside call. Sané loves being offside, seems like he didn’t know how to be onside all match.

Truth of the matter is Pep threw the game away when he mouthed off to the referee and got himself sent off.

not true my friend !!

Blog Entries
    not true my friend !!
    On Fox Sports it was about 60/40.

Raza -what part of Milner playing the ball onside don't you understand

Blog Entries
    Raza -what part of Milner playing the ball onside don't you understand
    What part of “it wasn’t a deliberate play” don’t you understand?

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    What part of “it wasn’t a deliberate play” don’t you understand?
    there is no such ruling -'deliberate play' in that situation is non existant buddy -- any way as i have said i wish Liverpool every success - Anfield is 40 miles from my front door and i go on there with a scouse friend -they are my second team so its win win

Blog Entries
    Either way, this summer should be interesting. With a reported negative net spend and an admittedly thin bench, Liverpool needs quality if they want to take the title next season. Keita is coming, sure, but foreign league players can take some time to adjust to a new team and a new league. Even Salah, who is probably the best player in the world right now, looked a bit off the pace at the beginning of the season—caught offside often and lacking clinical finishing (of course now he’s perfectly in tune with his front three compatriots and is so cold in front of goal he’s singlehandedly combating global warming). However, the front three is the front three, and only those three. I like Oxlade-Chamberlain a lot and I think he has nowhere to go but up, and he can play in the mid or front, but despite the occasional rocket, he’s no match for the front three. I really enjoy seeing Danny Ings play, but every moment he’s out there I’m worried about another injury and he hasn’t scored a goal since Klopp took over (mostly due to missing games because of injury, but still). Solanke needs a loan spell at a team where he’ll play regularly. Klopp seems to really like a certain type of player—the striker who plays midfield or the midfielder who plays striker. You can see it in choices like Firmino, Mané, Salah, and even going back to Marco Reus.

My top three targets for attacking players in the summer:
    Riyad Mahrez: Still my top choice, and for all the same obvious reasons I said in January. 10 goals and 8 assists so far this season. Imagine what those numbers could look like under Klopp with the rest of Liverpool around him. Could be a serious threat that unnerves defenses even more when they’ll already have so much to think about. He’s 27, so it’s now or never.

Heung-Min Son: He plays left, right, and center, which gives some really great flexibility in team selection, but his defensive contribution can be lacking. However, he’s a quality player with speed and a good team spirit. 12 goals and 4 assists is a pretty good return, even though he plays for Harry Kane on the Harry Kane team and is overshadowed by Harry Kane. Only con I can think of is that TottenHarry KaneSpur will probably want an absurd amount of money for him to go to a rival.

Andre Schurrle: Probably a more economical choice than Mahrez or Son, but he’s played all over the world, including England, and I think he’s got the stuff to be successful here under the right management. Another player who can play wing, center, or even midfield, he’d fit the team rather well, I believe. Only issue I can think of is that he’s neither played nor contributed much this season, but I don’t follow the Bundesliga, so I don’t know if that’s injury or form that’s kept him off the pitch, but neither explanation particularly makes me happy.

I should probably also mention Mesut Ozil, since I think he’ll be on a free transfer. He’s lazy, he goes missing, he doesn’t play defense, but the price is right and when he shows up, man, does he show up. I would also mention Giroud, but I believe he’s gone missing since moving to Chelsea. I expect to see his picture of a milk carton any day now. Terrible move for him, that was, but he wants to stay in London.

Defense has been much improved, but it’s still not perfect. Van Dijk has proven to be transformative; alongside him, not even Dejan Lovren looks like utter crap all the time. He’s improved the defense immeasurably, and it’s hard not to think about how different this season could have been had we had him from the start—look at how many draws we had from leading positions in the first half of the season as compared to the second half. But he’s one of four CBs that we have and that’s just not enough to complete in three competitions, especially when one of your CBs is the wildly inconsistent Lovren, another is the glass Matip, and the final is a 32 year old Klavan.

My top defensive choices:
    Ben Mee: He’s been immense for Burnley this season and is reliable in defense. He’s not flashy, he’s not the “ball playing” center half that people spend £50m+ on, but he’s solid, clears his lines well, and is good in the air. He’s not a guaranteed starter at Liverpool, but he can add needed quality depth and I can see him replacing the aging Klavan.

Sokratis Papastho...papas....you know who I’m talking about: I never really watched him play, but it’s rumored that he’s available, he’s worked with Klopp before, and he comes with a great reputation. I know what you’re saying, so did Mustafi, but unlike Mustafi, he wouldn’t be joining a sinking ship with a manager who has retired, but doesn’t know it yet. Hell, I wouldn’t even be mad if we bought Mustafi. Sokratis is rumored to be available for a cut rate of around £25m this summer, due to his contract running out. We paid that for Lovren. Sokratis is my top CB target.

Nicolas Otamendi: Sure, he gifted Liverpool the win yesterday, but before that moment, he was immense. He cut out every pass in the first half and was beastly. I wanted Otamendi years ago. I wanted him when I saw him play for Argentina. I wanted him before City got their hands on him. And with so much talk of frailty in the City defense last season and some cracks showing even now in their dominance, I think Pep might be thinking about cleaning house and bringing in lots of new defensive big money players. Even though Otamendi’s time in England has been a bit rocky, I think he’s a talented centerback.

As I said above, I also wouldn’t be mad about Shkodran Mustafi, either.

I’ll come back and do the rest of the squad positions later. Curious to hear your thoughts about my targets and what you think your own teams should do this summer.