Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain bike time

Mountain bike time

£1000 or so limit. I kinda want a full susser. We have this ride to work scheme through most emoloyers in England where you get 50% off the bike to incentive greenness, and it's gotta be through evanscycles.com in my case.

It seems there are only 2 options! https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-fl...-bike-EV284028

I'd have to pay the £200 overage myself but it looks good, and I've heard of norco.

Or this https://www.evanscycles.com/jamis-da...-bike-EV306022 - seemingly the only full susser at a grand or under. Never heard of jamis but it gets great reviews

8 years ago I bought a cube ams comp for less than a grand - there were loads of options out there. I guess brexit changes things.

I'm sure someone will tell me to get a hard tail at this price...
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Aren't you riding to work on city streets?
    That seems like a lot of bike to push around for a city commute.

I can't speak for today, but Jamis used to make excellent bikes. My mountain bike is a Jamis from 2001. It's a steel frame hardtail and it's geometry is pretty aggressive for XC racing. Excellent bike.

I don't know much about Full suspension bikes. I see your choices each have a different design with the rear shock. I'd look into the advantages of one over the other (if any). Looks like the Jamis is lighter by a touch if that matters.
    Last edited by gnuyork; May 18, 2018 at 08:56 AM.

4. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by boatme99 View Post
    Aren't you riding to work on city streets?
    That seems like a lot of bike to push around for a city commute.
    My commute is 40 miles each way - I won't be biking. But like all good government schemes this has no enforced terms, so I can still get a half price bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    I can't speak for today, but Jamis used to make excellent bikes. My mountain bike is a Jamis from 2001. It's a steel frame hardtail and it's geometry is pretty aggressive for XC racing. Excellent bike.

I don't know much about Full suspension bikes. I see your choices each have a different design with the rear shock. I'd look into the advantages of one over the other (if any). Looks like the Jamis is lighter by a touch if that matters.
    Yeah I'll test ride them and check the specs for sure. Just thought I'd post as I was bored.

6. Likes Perseus liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I'm sure someone will tell me to get a hard tail at this price...
    Me!

I was told unless you're spending more and actually riding where you'll need rear suspension, get a hard tail.

Have you ridden a full suspension bike? Are you attacking downhill rides?

I have a 29'er Trek Gary Fisher hard tail. I ride moderate downhill, lots of climbs, street, and tow path (packed dirt/gravel) along the Potomac River.

-- Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    Me!

I was told unless you're spending more and actually riding where you'll need rear suspension, get a hard tail.

I have a 29'er Trek Gary Fisher hard tail. I ride moderate downhill, lots of climbs, street, and tow path (packed dirt/gravel) along the Potomac River.

-- Wayne
    I had one but I literally never rode it once other than home from the shop, which is why I sold it. 2nd floor flat with a nickable bike wasn't ideal.

But yes I was only going to use it for trails etc.

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    Me!

-- Wayne
    That my was thought also. I hardly used my rear suspension (locked out gives you more power and less bounce) so when I replaced the bike I went for a hard tail.

Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar
    I have a Gary Fisher HiFi 29er (now Trek) and a Niner RIP 9 29er, both full suspension bikes but they are not in that price range and I'm not sure they are even sold in the UK. It is true that to get a FS bike in a lower price range you will definitely get much cheaper components in the drivetrain, brakes, etc. I also have a Specialized Stumpjumper 29er hardtail and it's certainly lighter and faster. But the trails where I live are very rooty and rocky so I generally go FS to save the pounding on my back.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    But like all good government schemes this has no enforced terms, so I can still get a half price bike.
    Read the small print !... The scheme I was 'entitled to' translated into layman's terms as: At no point do you own the bike, and you're at the discretion of the company to let you keep it at the end of the purchase period. I've never heard of any business exercising the option to claim it, but it is their prerogative.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    Read the small print !... The scheme I was 'entitled to' translated into layman's terms as: At no point do you own the bike, and you're at the discretion of the company to let you keep it at the end of the purchase period. I've never heard of any business exercising the option to claim it, but it is their prerogative.
    At the end of the lease you pay a peppercorn rental of £20 or whatever. I doubt my company would ruin our relationship over a £1k bicycle