Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's compare these two shall we?

Blog Entries
    Since the first time I laid eyes on an IWC, they’ve seemed overpriced. That’s not to say I don’t like some of their models or that they aren’t well made, but their prices are astronomical. That said, I do prefer the IWC design to the Fortis.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

2. Likes Muad'dib liked this post
    I struggle with the value proposition on most IWC and Panerai models.

4. Likes TigerDore liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post
    ...handmade by the Swiss elf....

Are these the same elves who make Keebler Fudge Stripe cookies?
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

6. Likes Muad'dib liked this post
    Purely speculating, here; I'm willing to bet the Valjoux in the IWC is better finished and the brushing and polishing of the case looks superior to the Fortis. The Fortis offers what looks like nicely applied indices, though I'm sure IWC went painted to maintain the more classic Flieger look. While I'm not averse to paying ~$5K for an ETA/Valjoux, I'd be more inclined to do so for a Bremont or Breitling, where significant modifications have taken place. That said, $5K isn't nearly as absurd, IMO, as $7K+ for a Sellita. I read a while back Manufacture Cartier movements came about as Richemont ultimately plans to stop using Swatch Group movements, entirely. It will be interesting to see if this materializes and propagates into the IWC line. In-house movements would certainly help to justify the cost of their offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Since the first time I laid eyes on an IWC, they’ve seemed overpriced.
    ...and oversized. At least the modern ones.

9. Likes TigerDore liked this post
    I've owned a Fortis, nice watches, and what has been said is true as I looked at the IWC quite closely recently as a contender for the chronograph slot...and yes, it is finished much better, the dial is "crisper" and all around, it looks better.

That being said, the Fortis is still a very fine watch, it uses the same movement and will save you quite a chunk of money.

At the prices that Fortis is being offered on the GM, and that they do a fine job all around, that would probably get the nod for me.

If the IWC was in house, completely different story, and I'm not an in house snob, but the cost difference to me is not justified.

This cost is justified

Name:  iwc-portuguese-grande-complication-platinum-black-alligator-silvered-iw377401.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  69.8 KB
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

12. Likes TigerDore liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    This cost is justified

Name:  iwc-portuguese-grande-complication-platinum-black-alligator-silvered-iw377401.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  69.8 KB
    No lume and the year is wrong.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Depends upon when the picture was taken.

A. Lume would look weird on this watch
    2. It's obviously an old picture