Likes Likes:  214
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch band advice thread

Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    I like it on the black leather :-)

Still not seeing your second pic (I’m on tapatalk and seeing a broken link icon)
    Fixed (or attempted to fix).

Personally I’d go for a lighter green to make things a bit zingier
    Hmm, that might ruin my gloomy and fearful image.

I found green the hardest colour to match straps in - this was my Volna

I think this green strap idea is my subconscious way of honouring the Alpinist I didn't go for.

2. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    If you’re using the strap to de-bling the ML, how about a cordovan to give it a more field look?
    Surprisingly (at least to me), it doesn't need de-blinging. It's polished in a nice, non-intrusive way.

I warmly recommend the Rios Springfield my Strela lives on, it just seems to get better with age (5 years and counting :-)
    again!
    (and your pic is a painful reminder of how I ruined my LM Juice aluminium scales today, using them to hammer the bracelet pins out)

4. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    Hola a todos.

So I intend this thread for all the souls that need, desperately need, advice on pairing watches with straps/bands/bracelets. Simply post your question and wait for feedback, if any. (You don't have to have any particular combo in mind, open questions welcome, visuals encouraged). If the thread turns out useless or unpopular, it will die a natural death and that's OK.

I'll allow myself to start:

Attachment 77088

+

Attachment 77092

(a different real-life photo here)

Hmm?
    I'm almost certain it would be an overkill, but there's still something tempting...
    IMO, that’s perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    Attachment 77174

OK, I have one for the group...if I wanted to change this strap out, which way would you go?

It's dark brown which goes against all my sensibilities, but I really like it, likely because it is so dark it can be misconstrued for a black strap. Just looking to see what you all would do here for a replacement. Thanks.
    For this, I’d go with an orangy-brown...would play well with the indices.

7. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Let's make this a bit more complicated ( ): watch and strap don't live all alone in the ether, therefore, they're not a single entity, per se. The perfect combo should take into consideration not only the watch/strap but their match to what a person wears and to the surrounding 'environment' (or context).

Now, how did I go?

For example:

this vintage Seamaster was supposed to have some connections to the automobile world so, a perforated strap with red on black, should work

Attachment 77175

while a red and blue stitched black strap would fail

Attachment 77176

unless there's another blue element to match

Attachment 77177

Another example:

I like this combo:

Attachment 77178

but it wouldn't work here, so I changed it:

Attachment 77179

And just one more:

This combo is almost perfect - simple black strap with white stitching 'vintage' style

Attachment 77180

unless a particular context demands a change:

Attachment 77181

IMHO it's always watch/strap and context or...you do whatever you like and that's fine too. Not complicated, after all.
    This man knows what he’s doing!

9. Likes CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ctimrun View Post
    This man knows what he’s doing!
    Thanks!

Slapped it on black leather in the end:

Name:  4GP2jxc.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  44.0 KB

I was considering green and bordeaux as well, but figured that they wouldn't really emphasize anything and this watch didn't need additional 'distractions' from what it is.

The ideas for the black one here were: not too shiny, no too prominent padding and no prominent stitching -- I think I got this spot on.

(Sorry for the filthy keyboard).

12. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Raise from the dead, my thread!

Problem:

Name:  IMG_20200229_141032.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  36.0 KB

It's Bonetto 281: http://www.bonettocinturini.it/en/ca...traps/281.html

I thought it would be a perfect fit for a skin diver, stylistically: rubber, but not too thick. And it kinda was but it's not wearing comfortably enough for me. First, I had to enlarge the notches by the lugs to enable free pivoting of the strap on the spring bars. Second, there's this:

Name:  IMG_20200229_141041.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  27.3 KB

No fixed keeper by the buckle makes the loose end stick out and there's nothing I can really do about it.

Originally, the watch came on a rather unimpressive leather NATO.

Ideas?

I'm not keen on wearing this on a NATO and I'm not a fan of perlon. I was thinking about livening it up with some pale orange(ish) colour, too, but that's not an iron requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    I'm not keen on wearing this on a NATO
    That being said, something like the below could work?

Name:  MyFcS-LB300-beige-Uhrenarmband.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  56.8 KB

I almost have to be reminded that these are dive watches, so wouldn’t rule out leather. A Di-Modell shark strap might look quite good.

A shorter rubber strap would be fine, like the Uncle Seiko ones I mentioned a week or two ago. For cheapness the silicon straps from https://www.thestrapshop.co.uk/colle...r-watch-straps are pretty good.

But I think I’d plump for two-piece fabric, probably cordura -

Name:  2B4C9348-77D3-43EF-A19B-F36CABD6163D.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  102.5 KB

I have one of the above on my ‘Mission Timer’ (a watch I’d forgotten I have until a minute ago). They’re dead cheap (about £10), and mine came from eBay seller ‘power-save’. Here it is on the Mission Timer -

Name:  CEBCC476-044A-410B-B256-CB0D561056A2.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  159.0 KB
    Last edited by tribe125; Feb 29, 2020 at 02:58 PM.

16. Likes rodia77, hayday liked this post