Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd place in the company dance contest

2nd place in the company dance contest

Ok, so I actually got 2nd place in the company dance contest at our recent holiday party (a good 2 months before Christmas??). Anyhoo, they gave me $300 for my troubles (I sealed the deal by 'threading the needle'). First place took lessons, which I consider cheating. Anyhoo, I'm going to buy a new leather briefcase as my wife is really getting annoyed with my current choice: a blue nylon bag I've had since grad school. Soooo, I'm thinking of the Saddleback Leather Thin Briefcase in chocolate brown. Any other options or opinions?

Blog Entries
    Lots. Lots and lots.

First question: Are you okay with a really heavy bag? Or would you prefer something lightweight? (Saddlebacks are notoriously heavy)
    Second: Do you want organization or do you want to keep it simple?
    Third: Do you want to spend above the $300 or keep it below?
    Fourth: Does where it's made/how it's made mean anything to you? (Fossil, for example, makes really, really good leather bags, but they're not exactly handmade in America, I'm sure).

My daily carry is the older version of the Fossil Estate Messenger. It's a great bag. The newer version has gold tone hardwarre, which I don't particularly care for, but you can't win them all.

http://www.fossil.com/webapp/wcs/sto...ath=MBG9153235

I'd also look at Billykirk. For about $300-500, you get the whole handmade thing, and I think they're all made in the US.
    Last edited by Raza; Nov 17, 2014 at 03:00 AM.

3. Likes Nokie liked this post
    I don't mind a heavy-ish bag; I know SB is heavy. I'll be spending a bit more on this than the $300. Probably go up to 500 tops. Don't mind where it's made as long as it's well made. Looked at a few Filsons on line. Actually was at a Fossil store looking at a waxed canvas, but I think it's too casual. I want casual-business. I think the SB fits that well. Apparently I'm not allowed to look like a slummy grad student anymore. But got online searching and soon became overwhelmed in the myriad options.

Before I recommend anything I demand to see some moves.

6. Likes M. Montaigne, Der Amf, T1ck liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I think Mr Bojangles would be happy with that leather item.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

Blog Entries
    https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...e=golden-brown

I really like this one. Almost bought it myself.

My Favorite bag is the whipping post vintage messenger bag. Not exactly a briefcase but it gets the job done and looks super cool. It's a simple bag with a shoulder strap and a carry handle on the back.

http://www.whippingpost.com/products...tage-messenger

Quote Originally Posted by bolaberlim View Post
    My Favorite bag is the whipping post vintage messenger bag. Not exactly a briefcase but it gets the job done and looks super cool. It's a simple bag with a shoulder strap and a carry handle on the back.

http://www.whippingpost.com/products...tage-messenger

I've had a bag like that before. For me, it was too floppy and so often looked disheveled and too informal. Another thing I ought to have mentioned, I'd really prefer it to be 17" in length as I need it to hold legal size documents. The SB will do that in the right size. I really think I'm leaning towards that. Thanks for the input. And Geoff, I'll dance for you but it will cost you. I'll be your private dancer, your dancer for money, and any old music will do.

11. Likes bolaberlim liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Statius View Post
    I've had a bag like that before. For me, it was too floppy and so often looked disheveled and too informal.
    Well, I figured since you use a blue nylon bag....

Quote Originally Posted by bolaberlim View Post
    Well, I figured since you use a blue nylon bag....
    Haha! That's exactly why my wife says I need a new one!