There are all kinds of forces at work when you’re under pressure to come up with your ‘best of the year’ lists. There’s end of year fatigue. There’s the hype around new releases, late in the piece. There’s bias of every possible variety. It’s much more clear-eyed in September of the year after. So here goes. What I said in December 2017, or Jan 2018 versus all*of the settling and objectivity that comes with nine months distance. Audemars Piguet Extra-Thin ‘Jumbo’ Royal Oak (Ref 15202) Then: “Yellow gold combined with*navy dials always catch my eye, but the fascination I have for this ‘Golden Oak’ 40th Anniversary edition, released at SIHH in January, endured the year.” Now:*No. Not one of the watches of the year. Yes, still a classic. Yes, arguably the best combination of materials and colourway for the AP ET J RO. But one of the best 10 releases? I was letting my envy of a local guy, who has the watch and still walks past me most days on the way to the office, get in the way. Cartier Drive de Cartier Extra-Flat Then:*“At first, the Cartier Drive was mostly masculine, but now — care of the svelte…

The post LIST: Do I still rate my top 10 watches of 2017? Uh. Hmmm. Some of them? appeared first on Time and Tide Watches.

More...