Likes Likes:  83
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Downsizing

well have talked about mine on several threads it came about for several reasons at one time just never thought of selling them as did not think they would be worth anything and the first fifty or so wasn't really but needed funds for a roof repair i think it was or a new vent /hob so needs must and it was easier then I thought and felt like a weight had lifted so I decide to sell a few more to buy a watch I would not justify spend real money on ( it's different when it watches you sold money as you have already spent it on a watch once so thats ok ) so bought the forum watch then decide that I wanted to have less choice so I had more choice if that makes sense some times you felt you had to wear one because you had not chosen it in awhile so thought six month if I ant worn it in that time then goes .. plus those you bought and love but won't wear in fear of damaging it ..so now i will only buy a watch that I will be happy to wear as a beater in the sense that I wear my watch and am hands on I'm just not the sort to take it off . so want one that can take a knock ..

plus with the cwc coming along and which I wore for a few months straight I realise I much preferred a watch that I would be happy to wear month after month ..( which has now really limited my buying as I see some I would have snapped up but now would not bother as I know I would probably be flogging in in a few months and probably for a lost

so can see myself with five or so keepers / sentimental ones and about five to ten everyday put probably ending up with five or so cwc.steiny,luminox,wenger, morgan possible

so for me it age / and money available is limited so it has to be one in one out to fund it .. plus with my depression ups/downs I sometimes just want to clean house and either start again or maybe just have a few and be done with it maybe depends if I'm up or down
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes Matt, iyonk, Cybotron, Sedi liked this post
    Thought about getting rid of a few from time to time. Problem is that when they get wrist time quite like them .... ahh well

4. Likes iyonk, Cybotron, Sedi, synequano liked this post
    It’s funny, I don’t really see watches in quite the same way. By way of an analogy, I like a really good walk. Over the years, I have built up a repertoire of walks that must be into the thousands by now. I’m always finding new walks and quite like them to be to or around something. Some walks, like the Jubilee walk in London are famous and well loved, others are close to unheard of. Some I have popularised among friends and others I like to think I have rediscovered.

The point is that any walk I have done I can revisit at any time. Some are abroad and harder to reach and some are just down the road, but, with a little effort, they are there and available as mood and memory takes me. I feel the same way about watches. I’m not sure I have a collection in the sense most do. What I do have is a head full of watches almost all of which are available with varying degrees of effort. Just like walks. And just like walks, when, after an extended break, I strap on a different watch with a different history, connotations and all, it enhances my day immeasurably. Others are just round the corner and an almost daily pleasure So no, I don’t have neatly arranged boxes of watches in rows, I mostly have jumbled messes, these days, with the valuable ones in storage, but the neatness is in my head.

The overwhelming majority are researched, mechanically and historically and there are few that don’t tell a story and fewer still that don’t fill a niche. One day I will have a mass cull, because Anicca, but until then I’m content.

6. Likes iyonk, Cybotron, OhDark30, Sedi, rodia77 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    With watches, I've kind of distilled what it is that I like the most, and generally stick with that.
    That seems to be where I'm going too; I have too many 'collecting dust' that I just don't wear any more because my tastes have changed as I've aged and learned more about what I actually like.
    The trouble is, I don't like selling 'my stuff' because a: it's too much hassle fending off cheapskates, and b: it's my stuff and I'm a bit of a squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybotron View Post
    The perfect watch. Is there such a thing?
    The perfect watch can't exist because we all have different ideas of what that might be.
    We can each have a perfect watch for us. I have one which I have no single complaint about nor any aspect that I would change; so, by definition it is a perfect watch for me. But that does not mean I don't want/desire any others.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    So no, I don’t have neatly arranged boxes of watches in rows, I mostly have jumbled messes, ...

Much to my wife's annoyance, I have a similar arrangement.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

8. Likes Cybotron, Matt, iyonk liked this post
    I'm Downsizing and Upsizing at the same time....
    i would be close to give a couple dozens of my collection to my friends, nice and nephews and it is counting up since i gotta give some of my seiko also this christmas..
    i can not afford to buy new watches lately since i need the fund for my family and studio equipments/new Computer.. but i gotta admit i'm still addicted to watches..
    thankfully this year i receive a few watches as surprised gift that i cherish ..

i can see in the next few years, most of my Casio G-Shocks, Seikos, and Orients will left my collection.. but i know they will go to a good new home..

mean while, since some members would go downsizing route,-- i'll keep on checking the classified and hoping to catch some deal on IWL classified..
    I'm on instagram: @iyonk_strap

10. Likes Cybotron, Sedi, Matt, Raza liked this post
    I kinda wish I didn't have so many watches, and there are some watches I kinda wish I hadn't bought. That said, I can't think of any I want to get rid of. Like a lot of people here, I went through a heavy buying phase and made a couple purchases I probably shouldn't have, but, oh well. I plan to add another 5-7, but the days of indiscriminate buying are over.

Just to keep things on point to the OP, I've gone through a bit of an involuntary downsize- a couple watches broke. Since the service costs would far exceed the value of the watches, they haven't been replaced.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

12. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybotron View Post
    The perfect watch. Is there such a thing?
    Possibly, and probably well beyond my price range.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

14. Likes Cybotron liked this post
    Impulse buying. I can relate to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    I kinda wish I didn't have so many watches, and there are some watches I kinda wish I hadn't bought. That said, I can't think of any I want to get rid of. Like a lot of people here, I went through a heavy buying phase and made a couple purchases I probably shouldn't have, but, oh well. I plan to add another 5-7, but the days of indiscriminate buying are over.

Just to keep things on point to the OP, I've gone through a bit of an involuntary downsize- a couple watches broke. Since the service costs would far exceed the value of the watches, they haven't been replaced.
    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by iyonk View Post
    I'm Downsizing and Upsizing at the same time....
    i would be close to give a couple dozens of my collection to my friends, nice and nephews and it is counting up since i gotta give some of my seiko also this christmas..
    i can not afford to buy new watches lately since i need the fund for my family and studio equipments/new Computer.. but i gotta admit i'm still addicted to watches..
    thankfully this year i receive a few watches as surprised gift that i cherish ..

i can see in the next few years, most of my Casio G-Shocks, Seikos, and Orients will left my collection.. but i know they will go to a good new home..

mean while, since some members would go downsizing route,-- i'll keep on checking the classified and hoping to catch some deal on IWL classified..
    Always a nice gesture to give watches to friends and family. Unfortunately nobody in my family or even friends are into watches.

Cheers,

Richard

17. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I have reached my limit, which is why the last couple of purchases have resulted in my giving away or trading in watches to stay at the number I'm at, which is about 35, not counting a couple of heirlooms that don't get worn but won't be leaving. Of those 35-ish, about two dozen get worn regularly, once or twice a month. The others might only see the light of day once in a month or thereabouts, but when I do wear them, I enjoy them, so why not keep them? An example would be my Meistersinger Perigraph. There are some that also tend to worm their way ahead in the rotation, like the new Railmaster and my Overseas. So be it.

Famous last words, but other than continuing to wait patiently for my RGM, I have nothing on the radar screen.
    Can't wait to see that RGM. Any idea when you will have it?

Cheers,

Richard