Likes Likes:  38
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Long time between drinks. Hope you're all well.

Now that’s the best sort of surprise! Welcome back Tino. Of course, I will not really believe it until I see a Bond pastiche...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I-B View Post
    I always make sure that i have a cold beer (Tripel) inbetween my drinks.
    I enjoyed your review, welcome back!
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    hey mate been quiet around here so good to see ya

now get to posting I bet there lots of old threads that may interest you and around here we don't mind zombie threads as you know
    Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    Welcome back. Great write up on the Oris. That is my favorite color combo on that model.

-- Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by litlmn View Post
    That was a great read.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Teeritz, Glad to see you post again. Please stay a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    Welcome back Tee. July 2016 was one heck of a break. That's a fine Oris.
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    As above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Hey, welcome back! Hope you stick around!
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Welcome back! We can always use new blood. Even if it’s old blood.
    Thanks for the kind words, all. I've been working for a watch brand (don't ask me which one) , as the After-Sales Coordinator, and a majority of my day finds me parked in front of a computer screen. As such, I've found myself spending less time on the web when I'm home. Still visiting another forum (you all know the one), but the demographic has changed somewhat over the years. Figured I'd step back into IWL and see how things are here.

Anyway, I'll see if I can visit and contribute here a little more. Been away so long that I forgot my password. Had to create a new one.

Damn the internet.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

3. Likes I-B, happyscrappyheropup, OhDark30 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Now that’s the best sort of surprise! Welcome back Tino. Of course, I will not really believe it until I see a Bond pastiche...
    You!

The entry wound was small. It was a .32 calibre round, after all, but the exit wound was messy. Thankfully, it had missed his vital organs. Bond had bandaged it up as best he could with the items at his disposal, but he could feel his lifeblood slowing dampening the waistband of his trousers. At this rate, he had perhaps thirty minutes before he passed out and bled to death.

The phone booth was only fifty yards away, but it might has well have been a mile. Bond staggered towards it, using the walls of the buildings to keep himself upright. He glanced at his Rolex Oyster Perpetual. The phosphorous hands showed 3:15am. He paused for a moment, his breath coming out in short wheezy gasps. He regained a modicum of strength and continued on. Moments later, he crawled into the phone booth. One of the last to be found in the centre of London. It was an antiquated system, but Bond was thankful that British Intelligence still used it.
    He took the empty Walther PPK from his holster and smashed the light inside the booth, pitching himself in darkness. Markov's goons were still trawling the streets in their Mercedes-Benz G-Wagen looking for him. Bond dialled the encrypted number. It was on a secure line that didn't require any coins. Just as well. He never carried them. As Bond heard it ring at the other end, he slid down the glass wall of the booth, feeling the broken glass from the phone booth's globe cut into the palm of his left hand.
    The call was answered after an eternity; "Morecambe's Bakery, Jeanette speaking, how may I help you?"
    "AX niner, seven, six, two, dash zero, zero, seven...gimme shelter", Bond wheezed into the receiver, mentally cursing the Pop Culture references created by the millennials employed by the British Secret Service in The Digital Age.
    The MI6 receptionist on the line looked at her computer screen and saw the red dot glow on the map of London pinpointing Bond's location. Her fingers did a rapid dance across the keyboard.
    "Medical van on it's way, ETA approximately three minutes", she replied and hung up.
    Bond let the receiver slide out of his blood-stained hand, and wondered if he had three minutes left in him.

Nowhere near my best effort, but I'm a tad rusty, sir. Damn you.
    Nice to hear from you, M4tt. Hope you and yours are well.
    Last edited by Teeritz; Oct 17, 2018 at 10:22 AM.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)

5. Likes tribe125, gnuyork, Matt, OhDark30, Raza liked this post
    Morning! Yes, me and mine are as fine as can be, if a little busy. I hope the first half is true of you and yours. I’m delighted to read that you appear to have honed your edge. I would assume that, in your new role you’d be able, in theory if not practice, to speak authoritively about certain movements and their ultimate reliability? Obviously that’s not a leading question...

So now I better start thinking about evocative pictures to tempt you into creativity.

Hey T! Good to see you mate. Hats off for the Bond exerp. Excited for the (very delayed) new film?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Blog Entries
    Morning! Yes, me and mine are as fine as can be, if a little busy. I hope the first half is true of you and yours. I’m delighted to read that you appear to have honed your edge. I would assume that, in your new role you’d be able, in theory if not practice, to speak authoritively about certain movements and their ultimate reliability? Obviously that’s not a leading question...
    Good to hear. Same here. Everyone's well, but busy also.
    As for movements, the one thing I've learned is that no amount of R & D and testing will equal strapping a watch to the wrist of an idiot for six months. By idiot I mean somebody who spends one, two, or three thousand dollars on a wristwatch and equates that amount with 'indestructible'. They are always surprised when they've dropped their watch on a hardwood floor and it stops working. Also, a great many people will buy a wristwatch without doing even a sliver of research. Which I find unforgivable in the age of the internet.

So now I better start thinking about evocative pictures to tempt you into creativity.
    You don't have to, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Hey T! Good to see you mate. Hats off for the Bond exerp. Excited for the (very delayed) new film?
    Hi G-bot! The next film is so far off at the moment that I'm not thinking too much about it.Besides, at least we have the newish Horowitz book to keep us going until the next film.
    Cary Joji Fukunaga is a good choice as director, but I'm very curious to see how they're going to salvage OO7 after the mess that was SPECTRE. Since this new film is meant for a Valentine's Day 2020 release, I hope they're not thinking of Bond getting married. Reason being that I don't think Daniel Craig will sign on for another one after this, and the continuity will be shattered if we have a new actor in the role after Craig's Bond gets hitched.
    Also, while Lea Seydoux is a great actress, she seemed to have a ticked-off expression on her face throughout most of the movie and her character never struck me as the type that Bond would quit the Service for.

Can you tell I've spent far too much time thinking about it all?

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)

9. Likes gnuyork, Matt, geoffbot liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeritz View Post
    Hi G-bot! The next film is so far off at the moment that I'm not thinking too much about it.Besides, at least we have the newish Horowitz book to keep us going until the next film.
    Cary Joji Fukunaga is a good choice as director, but I'm very curious to see how they're going to salvage OO7 after the mess that was SPECTRE. Since this new film is meant for a Valentine's Day 2020 release, I hope they're not thinking of Bond getting married. Reason being that I don't think Daniel Craig will sign on for another one after this, and the continuity will be shattered if we have a new actor in the role after Craig's Bond gets hitched.
    Also, while Lea Seydoux is a great actress, she seemed to have a ticked-off expression on her face throughout most of the movie and her character never struck me as the type that Bond would quit the Service for.

Can you tell I've spent far too much time thinking about it all?
    Spectre gets a bad rap--sure, it's a much more "traditional" Bond film compared to the other Craig movies, but I think it integrates the modern action with the sort of large, high tech global baddie that we saw in older films while cutting the cheesiness that plagued them. Good action scenes (I mean, that opening sequence was excellent) and an interesting look at the relevancy of a dinosaur like Bond in the age where espionage can be done from a basement in Nevada. If Spectre had come after Quantum of Solace, it would have been hailed as a return to form for Bond, but since it came after Skyfall, which was the second best Bond film of all time behind The Living Daylights and perhaps the most lauded, it was bound to fall short and be judged harshly for it. Reminds me of when The Lost World came out after Jurassic Park. The Lost World wasn't a great film, but it was a decent one--however, it was in the shadow of what is perhaps the best action film of all time, and one that has become the archetype for action films since its release. There's nothing it could have done to stand up to that. Yes, it had its silly moments (like a teenage girl beating up velociraptors by using her gymnast routine), but it wasn't awful. However, it never really stood a chance, no matter how good they could have made it.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

11. Likes Matt, OhDark30 liked this post
    I had two problems with the film. First, the shark jumping conceit that literally everything was all about Bond.

Second:

Exhibit A

https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi2578821913

Which demonstrated exactly how it should be done, complete with perfect Seahawks and, rather than the usual BS product placement, exactly the right watch from exactly the right period.

As I explained a while back:

http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...ighlight=UNCLE

Although further research suggested that the cases might have been a Christopol product, who also knocked up the high end 17 jewel version of the movement (although finding a watch with a Pobeda dial, a Christopol case and a 1MWC movement has eluded me).

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Spectre gets a bad rap--sure, it's a much more "traditional" Bond film compared to the other Craig movies, but I think it integrates the modern action with the sort of large, high tech global baddie that we saw in older films while cutting the cheesiness that plagued them. Good action scenes (I mean, that opening sequence was excellent) and an interesting look at the relevancy of a dinosaur like Bond in the age where espionage can be done from a basement in Nevada. If Spectre had come after Quantum of Solace, it would have been hailed as a return to form for Bond, but since it came after Skyfall, which was the second best Bond film of all time behind The Living Daylights and perhaps the most lauded, it was bound to fall short and be judged harshly for it. Reminds me of when The Lost World came out after Jurassic Park. The Lost World wasn't a great film, but it was a decent one--however, it was in the shadow of what is perhaps the best action film of all time, and one that has become the archetype for action films since its release. There's nothing it could have done to stand up to that. Yes, it had its silly moments (like a teenage girl beating up velociraptors by using her gymnast routine), but it wasn't awful. However, it never really stood a chance, no matter how good they could have made it.
    You, sir, are a philistine.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    You, sir, are a philistine.
    Dear boy, your word of the day calendar won’t save you from you fashionably wrong opinion.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

15. Likes geoffbot liked this post