Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A way to tell the case steel quality?

A way to tell the case steel quality?

Hi all,

As per the subject, is there? A non-destructive, non-invasive, other than just tactile, fairly objective way to tell if the steel alloy the case is made of is any good? You might remember my disappointment about the Sowar, now I'm not sure about what to think about my latest Zodiac acquisition. When I handle it, it just doesn't feel on par with my other affordable Swiss watches (Fortis, Glycine etc) -- feels lighter, more plasticky, the bezel feels outright aluminium-like to me. I don't know any other WIS around to get a second opinion from.

One compromise I got aware of after placing the order and that I was prepared to accept was the movement -- the 'Swiss made' Sea-Gull ST2100. But when the watch came on Monday and I started 'feeling it out', I got an impression that it wasn't the only cost cut, and in the end I'm paying the price of a Swiss entry-level piece for some Chinese tat that should be priced somewhere between 200-400 euros at the most. I love the looks of the watch but it feels too much like I'm being screwed and I'm considering returning it while I'm under the EU statutory protection. The quality of the watch as a whole is still acceptable, I'm just having serious doubts if, say, EUR800-acceptable.

I was thinking of contacting Zodiac/Fossil so they can confirm the materials used, but the thing is, if it's sourced from China, then "316L" can mean anything from true 316L to low-grade crap.

Thoughts? Advice?

Lick it

You will learn everything.
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Lick it

You will learn everything.
    Vanilla. Oh wait, that was the strap.

4. Likes Seriously, synequano liked this post
    What model Zodiac?

I have a newer Sea Dragon that runs the STP1-1. It's a really well made watch.

-- Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    I have a newer Sea Dragon ...-- Wayne
    Without pictures, well, you know.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    Without pictures, well, you know.

-- Wayne

Well this took all 0 MINUTES.

-- Wayne

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    Well this took all 0 MINUTES.
    Not working today + Tapatalk notifications

-- Wayne

What model Zodiac?
    ZO9203: https://www.zodiacwatches.com/produc...53-skin-zo9203

Before the purchase I read/watched available reviews and nobody was complaining about the quality -- I even remember such statements as 'quality is there' (W&W, IIRC). I don't know, maybe it's my expectations -- a few weeks ago I talked to another owner of a Sowar, and he didn't have any objections regarding its quality until I brought up mine.

For now I sent an inquiry about the materials used to Zodiac/Fossil.

Today we design reliable, stylish watches based on vintage models from the ’50s, ‘60s, and ‘70s, while staying true to their original creation. Our watch designs maintain historical authenticity with contemporary updates and improved functionality, like the inclusion of our in-house Swiss Made STP mechanical movements, Super-LumiNova hands, high-quality straps, 44-hour power reserves, and swan neck regulators, just to name a few
    Looks like a ETA2824 (or a sellita version) to me

https://www.zodiacwatches.com/produc...53-skin-zo9203

Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869