Likes Likes:  37
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New York Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Sorry it was $102 not $110

Attachment 80641
    Four cappucinos, someone’s going to be bouncing off the walls.

2. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    My brother showed me a receipt for breakfast/brunch for two , $110 and they were suggesting gratuity at the bottom of the receipt, on top of that starting at 15%
    I didn't pay the gratuity, I physically tipped the waiter.

You have to leave a tip for the maid..lots of tips, all around.
    A waitress told me they don't even get fed in the restaurant!!
    Food was expensive but it was good and big portions of

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperami View Post
    I didn't pay the gratuity, I physically tipped the waiter.

You have to leave a tip for the maid..lots of tips, all around.
    A waitress told me they don't even get fed in the restaurant!!
    Food was expensive but it was good and big portions of

Oh dear...No - you don't really *have to* tip the "maid" in a US hotel. But, tipping in a restaurant, or for a taxi driver, is virtually required (yes - it's just "cultural", but it's real).

Tipping used to be easy in most of Europe - but American customs are starting to seep in. I even had a cab driver silently accept a "slightly more than correct" tip without even pretending to
    make change.

I'm sorry that you felt coerced into tipping the hotel staff - that's never *required*. It's a bit impolite to NOT tip someone from grabbing your bag at the hotel entrance and not giving it back until you are in your room - but even then no one will complain (out loud, to you). Room service *never* requires a tip. Finally, beware of places that automatically ADD a "gratuity" to your bill, and also leave a space for a tip.

Bottom line: in the US - wait service, tip always (anywhere from 15-20%). Nowadays, most waiters have to pay taxes on the presumed income from 18% tips - even if they get stiffed by the customer. Cab drivers, tip always (whatever's convenient, less than 10% will generate a loud complaint). Hotel staff - tip the porter, but no one else. Über, or other car services, it's less clear - but I never tip. In Europe, I try to pay in cash, and simply round up to whatever is convenient. Paying by credit card usually involves a form that gives you a good hint as to whether a tip is customary (but again - beware the automatic "gratuity" combined with a line on the CC slip for a tip. I'm always (happily) surprised when I pay electronically in Europe and there is no hint that such a thing as "tipping" exists.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post
    Room service *never* requires a tip.
    I'm pretty sure what Kenneth means by room service is cleaning of the room. Room service in the sense of ordering food delivered to your room--almost everywhere in the US a "gratuity" is added to the room service bill, so you have no choice. And yes, there would be a line for an additional tip, too, which I never do. Room service "mandatory" gratuity is usually at least 20%, even though there's very little "service" involved--just delivery.

Hi Pep
    Great pictures looks like you had a fantastic time , we'll probably have very similar shots ourselves!
    Got a few places booked to eat , but only found out that it's Thanksgiving while we're there! , will
    see Macy's Parade though a least but expect some places will be shut , Gov'mnt ones closed as I believe it's
    a holiday. got a sightseeing pass but will get the subway ticket you suggested even though we plan to walk
    a fair bit. Did you find any interesting watch shops? , I'll probably try and have a look even though Mrs T
    won't be that interested.
    thanks all for pointers and advice
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Tomo_Leeds View Post
    Hi Pep
    Great pictures looks like you had a fantastic time , we'll probably have very similar shots ourselves!
    Got a few places booked to eat , but only found out that it's Thanksgiving while we're there! , will
    see Macy's Parade though a least but expect some places will be shut , Gov'mnt ones closed as I believe it's
    a holiday. got a sightseeing pass but will get the subway ticket you suggested even though we plan to walk
    a fair bit. Did you find any interesting watch shops? , I'll probably try and have a look even though Mrs T
    Mick
    I was in Macy's..Longines Hydroconquest for $1200..I didn't bother looking after that

You'll have a great time, we did a lot of walking too, soak up the atmosphere. When we got brushed, we jumped on the subway

9. Likes Tomo_Leeds liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo_Leeds View Post
    Hi Pep
    Mick
    Be warned--security for the parade route is insane. They herd people into chain link barricade/cage areas many hours before the parade starts, and it will be very difficult to get around near the parade route, even on foot.

11. Likes Tomo_Leeds liked this post
    These days, the best way to watch the parade is on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Be warned--security for the parade route is insane. They herd people into chain link barricade/cage areas many hours before the parade starts, and it will be very difficult to get around near the parade route, even on foot.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Yup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My best recent parade experience was St Patrick's Day in Dublin - a few years ago.

15. Likes pepperami liked this post