Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ****VINTAGE OMEGA SEAMASTER DE VILLE AUTOMATIC WRIST WATCH ****

****VINTAGE OMEGA SEAMASTER DE VILLE AUTOMATIC WRIST WATCH ****

well been selling off some of my used watches and old gaming systems that just don't get used and been looking for a new watch but not finding anything to wow me of late don't think it a rut as it fall in to the more I see some thing and think thats nice then it's to similar to my steiny or lux or wenger say so love vintage but when you spend a decent some on one it gets tricky on how kosher it is ...

plus would I wear it often not sure I will if not toolish but still be nice to have a shiny one just to have a shiny one was hoping to go rado but well again so hard to tell the genuine from fakes / re-dial / franken's so gave up was hoping scott might have made an appearance as he was my go to guy for buying rados but he's not been on much of late

I went back to my fav omega and was looking at prices for the vintage seamaster and they vary a lot ..and still hard to tell good from bad so. for those who have them or experiences with them and general the more knowledgeable amongst us could give a run down of do's and don't on buying would be great got my eye on a couple so can we save off linking to place's with ones on sale just in case ( remember one time I lost out on one watch for that very reason )

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Blog Entries
    I have had several vintage Omegas. I recommend a trusted source, not so much because of fakes and Franken's, but more because they aren't always as solid as one might hope. I had two from the 70s, one of which had a rather touchy movement. I also had an F300 that worked really well, but it was a bit ugly (gold cushion case) and I sold it for a small profit in fact. I think the pie-pans are way over-valued these days. Sometimes best to avoid the most fetishized models.

I cherish the one I bought from Kath at the start of the year, though. I love the machined dial, and it's about as close to a birth-year watch as I need to get.

Too many watches, not enough wrists.

3. Likes is that my watch, OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post

well been selling off some of my used watches and old gaming systems that just don't get used and been looking for a new watch but not finding anything to wow me of late don't think it a rut as it fall in to the more I see some thing and think thats nice then it's to similar to my steiny or lux or wenger say so love vintage but when you spend a decent some on one it gets tricky on how kosher it is ...

plus would I wear it often not sure I will if not toolish but still be nice to have a shiny one just to have a shiny one was hoping to go rado but well again so hard to tell the genuine from fakes / re-dial / franken's so gave up was hoping scott might have made an appearance as he was my go to guy for buying rados but he's not been on much of late

I went back to my fav omega and was looking at prices for the vintage seamaster and they vary a lot ..and still hard to tell good from bad so. for those who have them or experiences with them and general the more knowledgeable amongst us could give a run down of do's and don't on buying would be great got my eye on a couple so can we save off linking to place's with ones on sale just in case ( remember one time I lost out on one watch for that very reason )

As always Ismy
    My best advice in this situation is to avoid Seamaster or Deville and go Geneve. You get the same movement and some of the same cases, with less elaborate dials. What you also get is the pretty certain assurance that no one ever faked a Geneve! Hold out for a five series movement. Personally I’d look for a dirty example and spend the money to get it tip top. What’s the budget?

edit...

I just looked. Prices are just plain silly. I’d get a Certina DS1
    Last edited by Matt; Oct 23, 2018 at 07:51 PM.

5. Likes OhDark30, skywatch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    My best advice in this situation is to avoid Seamaster or Deville and go Geneve. You get the same movement and some of the same cases, with less elaborate dials. What you also get is the pretty certain assurance that no one ever faked a Geneve! Hold out for a five series movement. Personally I’d look for a dirty example and spend the money to get it tip top. What’s the budget?
    not sure seen one and thought about 400 hundred for it rather decent shape as sending it away to be sorted is not the easy for me to do as the watch guy I would used is semi retire now and not sure if he takes on all comers or just his inner circle
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

Have you thought about Tissot? There are some lovely styled ones that share an Omega movement? Unless you are paying silly money, it will need a service.

well got my eye on a omega just about to throw a couple of offers their way they have one but the price they want to me is a little high because of condition and no box or papers but if feel right to me in itself but would not go as high as I possible would for it if it had them ..

yeah seen the tissot been looking at the more modern stuff for them ..just happen on this one and I thought yeah that ant bad
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    ..the watch guy I would used is semi retire now and not sure if he takes on all comers or just his inner circle
    If you mean Steve Burridge, he’s still working on stuff for his old customers :-)

I took my Seamaster into a pretentious vintage watch shop on the Great Western Arcade (no longer there)
    They missed the ‘Automatic’ on the dial and only charged me their manual service rate
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

yeah I did but think I used him once so would not class myself as old customer but only ever hear good stuff
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Maybe worth a go then :-)
    His partner in crime Terry Casey is also good to deal with, though they’ve put prices up a bit since they’ve been working together

Just getting the white Strela back from them: the setting lever decided to give up the ghost on me when it returned before

We got an NOS replacement - from Australia
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Best advice I can give is but from a repretable seller & do yr homework when it comes to Vintage & IMO esp. Omega. All kinds of frankens out there from nvmnt to crowns. Google is great for comparing pics too.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842