Likes Likes:  73
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A quartz confession

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Breguet would have made quartz watches if he’d known how.
    If he could the Marie-Antoinette would be the first oversized G-shock

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I-B View Post
    The problem quartz has that it's widly neglected to keep inovating the modules further. Usually quartz watches use a dull low end basic generic module from brand X or Y for the most part of watches, and therefore they are inherent boring for us freaks. ETA is now launching and developing interesting modules. It seems they chosen Longines to have the modules to debute in. I'm sure that if the new modules are succesful they wil start to jewel them to higer grades to be had in more upscale Swatch brands
    For an analogue only watch, I’m always going to want a mechanical movement. Electronic precision doesn’t do anything for me—it’s the same reason I’ll never be impressed by a Tesla, but I drool over a 1977 Aston Martin V8 Vantage even though the Tesla could run silent circles around it. When I want quartz, I want it to do more than a mechanical can, hence the digital readouts being necessary.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

3. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    For an analogue only watch, I’m always going to want a mechanical movement. Electronic precision doesn’t do anything for me—it’s the same reason I’ll never be impressed by a Tesla, but I drool over a 1977 Aston Martin V8 Vantage even though the Tesla could run silent circles around it. When I want quartz, I want it to do more than a mechanical can, hence the digital readouts being necessary.
    I totally get this, even though I have a couple of quartz-analogs for convenience.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

5. Likes Raza liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by I-B View Post
    The problem quartz has that it's widly neglected to keep inovating the modules further. Usually quartz watches use a dull low end basic generic module from brand X or Y for the most part of watches, and therefore they are inherent boring for us freaks. ETA is now launching and developing interesting modules. It seems they chosen Longines to have the modules to debute in. I'm sure that if the new modules are succesful they wil start to jewel them to higer grades to be had in more upscale Swatch brands
    But sure the problem of 'dull low end basic generic module from brand X or Y for the most part of watches' is equally true of mechanical? Sure we don't have pinwheels for the bottom end any more but the fact is that the overwhelming majority of even high end mechanical watches use either a variation of one of three old ETA calibres, Miyota or something unspeakable and Chinese.

The fact is that there are a very wide range of all metal vintage quartz calibres that are as worthy as anything else. Ultimately, all watches are taking a steady reciprocating movement and dividing it down to a human scale tick. Whether that maths is realised in meshing brass and steel or a silicon switches seems unimportant - both can live in the imagination. As for the common complain that quartz lacks soul, it's actually the other way round. Everything about a mech reveals itself in the purely physical, only quartz has two levels of existence: the mechanism and the idea of an abacus that emerges from it.

7. Likes Dimman liked this post
    My TAG Heuer Aquaracer is an interesting beast. The subdial hands tell the date when in time mode, the hour and minute hands are utilized for chrono mode, and the hands move counter-clockwise when in regatta mode. Would this be possible with a mechanical?

Name:  TAG Heuer.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  106.7 KB
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

9. Likes Matt, synequano liked this post
    Here's a few interesting quartz:

Name:  Qwartzez.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  95.3 KB

There's a profusion of interesting quartz with interesting movements if you look hard enough. The quality shouldn't be drowned out by the dross. Oh, and I take batteries out when not in use. It's just common sense, it's one of the few things that can kill a quartz.

11. Likes popoki nui, I-B, synequano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

There's a profusion of interesting quartz with interesting movements if you look hard enough. The quality shouldn't be drowned out by the dross. Oh, and I take batteries out when not in use. It's just common sense, it's one of the few things that can kill a quartz.

taking them out some time can too had a fair few have issue when putting them back in soo depends if you going to put them to display then maybe if not hmmm I personally would not yes your right that most quartz are killed by the battery seen it happen a lot but those are one's as a rule that had .. the dead batterys in them for long lengths of time from my experiences I think it comes down to ..you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't .. also depends how confident some one is on putting them in and out ..

the amount of watches i have seen with damaged cause by people messing with them not good ... but if they are swatch / cwc / etc with a battery hatch would be more incline to whip them out
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

also I think i.b meant in what is inside them more then the outward appearance of the quartz maybe as most of pretty bog standard apart from the elce / quartz and the like
    Last edited by is that my watch; Dec 8, 2018 at 02:43 PM. Reason: typo
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

First and foremost, very sorry for your loss.

Along those same lines, while I generally prefer a date complication, I often feel the same about my no-date watches. Sometimes, it’s just nice to quickly set the time, without having to worry about setting the date, or AM/PM, and just go.

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    also I think i.b meant in what is inside them more then the outward appearance of the quartz maybe as most of pretty bog standard apart from the elce / quartz and the like
    Apart from the CWC and the SMP300 which merely have all metal seven jewel movements, my criteria for that photo was that the movement was interesting.

From top left, you have a Citizen A710 (10spy), A FL with a Girard Perregaux 352 movement (the first modern quartz movement). A Kreiger M882 quartz chronometer, a Seiko 7a28 (the first quartz chronograph - fifteen jewels all metal), A Citizen E510 (10spy) with every hand controlled directly by an individual stepper motor. Another GP 352, One of 8620 one of the first Citizen Crystrons, (next row) A Seiko 3863 from '73, A Seiko 7a28, two more GP352, one from 1972, A Tissot autoquartz (17 jewel automatic quartz) (next row) Seiko 7a38, Omega 1310 megaquartz (1973), another 7a38, Seiko 0532 (one of the first modern digital watches and the only one with a keyless works). A fifteen jewel ETA 205.711 autoquartz, (next row) A JLC with a 353 movement, seiko 8f32 (20 seconds a year and perpetual calender) Seiko 3823 (the world's first mass market quartz, Another fifteen jewel ETA 205.711 autoquartz.

16. Likes Dimman liked this post