Likes Likes:  69
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: **** What is the best looking quartz's movement ****

**** What is the best looking quartz's movement ****

Well while I was chatting with matt and I.B on this thread A quartz confession we got talking on the purely aesthetic value of quartz movement or there in the lack of it more so if one discounts mecca quartzs and the like ( but happy to see shots post here of the hybrids ) I'm thinking the standard three handier quartz movement is rather hideous to look at now a days for the most part . but when first made in the late 70's early 80's they seem to look better or more enjoyable to view ...

Anyway it got me to thinking which is the best looking quartz movement purely on the look nothing more ( rolex and like will be nice to see but as I said on the other thread ) I was thinking more the lower end every day brands use ... to my way of thinking (could be right or wrong, company's like rolex and others had to do something special to get mechanical lovers to buy them I truly believe thats why some of the early one look more like mech then quartz ) but as I said happy to see pics and indeed your view on these point do you agree disagree or some where in the middle .

Have you got a favourite quartz's movement I might have but never thought about it ..if you had asked the same question of a mech a couple would jump into my head instantly 2209 / 3602 ...

Yes quartz talk does not happen very often as think when it's a quartz watch we start talking about just the out side look and feel ..when with mech the movement is more of a big point about the watch ...

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes I-B, popoki nui liked this post
    Name:  001oq17000ul4sgwj15e.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  63.3 KB i think my choice is well documented -its a no brainer for me

4. Likes I-B, Dimman, skywatch, popoki nui liked this post
    I've posted it already, but this has to be in with a shout:

Name:  omegamatic.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  58.8 KB

6. Likes I-B, Dimman liked this post
    Name:  64_2714_back.png
Views: 268
Size:  51.4 KBName:  1963-longines-electromechanical-calibre-l400.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  29.2 KBName:  2713_back.png
Views: 287
Size:  61.4 KBName:  23110726lmvmt.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  27.2 KBName:  index.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  8.4 KB I will post more later, got some nice lookers frm GP, AP etc

8. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    The 9F and OysterQuartz are both great looking movements.

Another one in the same league is the Journe quartz.

10. Likes I-B, Matt, Dimman, popoki nui, synequano, CFR, tribe125 liked this post
    lovely so far was hoping to see some lower end brands to but the seikos the best seen there so far you got the one in my op but here they did a little extra styling for the gs range

was hoping some basic quartz might be seen but as I said in the start they are just hideously ugly for the most part so guess the hybrids is going to be seen the most .. so on that note ..

here is a nice certina based on a ESA 9154 Dynotron I do believe

28-353 Electronically con-trolled balance motor. Sweep second. Date
    Biorhythm 12.5'''
    Dm= 28.00mm
    H= 5.55mm 13 jewels
    28'800 A/h Basic caliber ESA 9154 Dynotron with
    additional mechanism for biorhythm
    (Patent Certina). Date without quickset
    (Set by changing 23-24h). Hack feature
    From 1971
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

12. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    I suppose the close to what I'm thinking in the more expensive is the omega deville

sharky
    rest easy good buddy

14. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    take the four most used quartz movement brands ( that I see regularly )

ronda 762 for example :

a miytoa 2035 :

seiko epson vx51 :

:

now the hattori I find appealing out of the four for some reason :

but still not very pretty so the point I was trying to make on the other thread could they not pretty it up ( yes I know their is no need with these movement is all work and no play but still just because you don't need to ..does not me you don't have to does it ) as I said on the other thread it some time a disappointment when you open them to put in a new battery how plain and boring they look ..yes I know they are hidden and you see then once every few years on battery changes but still
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

16. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    However, to no one's surprise, I have an opinion.

If you look at the three pictures above, they all have one thing in common. Sure they are all attractive, but they are attractive in precisely the way a mechanical watch is attractive and, to a greater or lesser extent, they look like a mechanical with a battery. In the case of the Rolex Cal.5035 and the Omega Cal.1400 this is because that is basically what they are: a quartz version of the Cal.3035 and Cal.2824 respectively. The 9f and 8J are a bit of a con as they rely on decorated panels. In the case of the 9F the panels above and below the central bridge are non functional, but highly decorated, covers

The fact is that a quartz watch is not a mechanical watch and it really is unfair to expect it to compete on the same terms. It's a bit like comparing fixed wing planes with helicopters. As such, I'd like to suggest that my personal favourite quartz movement is beautiful, but in a different, and perhaps more challenging, way. Like so:

Name:  gp352.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  122.0 KB

With this in mind, I want to suggest that, qua quartz, the prettiest movement is the Omega 1342:

Name:  omega1342 (2).jpg
Views: 322
Size:  128.3 KB

My point is that all that circuitry is actually an integral part of the quartz. The IC, trimmer, stepper motor and so on are things to display, not hide away. As such I want to see either a quartz where the form and function are in harmony and the quality is there for all to see or, better still, where there is some aesthetic element to the ensemble of parts.

18. Likes FuzzyB, popoki nui, tribe125 liked this post
    but saying that I find the c300 an interesting one

sharky
    rest easy good buddy

20. Likes popoki nui liked this post