Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: 5513 matte dial arrived this weekend

  1. #1

    5513 matte dial arrived this weekend

    This weekend delivered the 1978 5513 matte dial that I was in the right place at the right time last week. Quick review: it's freaking amazing.

    NOTE: I have trouble photographing the patina and having it come out the way it is in real life. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do it with an iPhone please let me know. Patina is actually perfect just starting to turn from white but not yellow.


    More about the watch later but for now a few unboxing shots:


    Gracie is just as eager to open it up as I am:





    First thing I see is a note from the seller that pretty much wraps up his frame of mind:





    Too big for Gracie





    But Perfect for me:








    Crisp edges and deep lug holes means it's has been well preserved:








    LOVE the dome:





    Faded Bezel and perfectly matched lame plots and hands:





    '85 DJ is happy to meet the '78 Sub:



  2. #2
    Very nice. I wish Rolex still went in for those chamfered edges.

  3. Likes gnuyork liked this post
  4. #3
    Thanks, Gary. I have 4 watches in the collection now and 3 1/2 are vintage, one modern (214270) The 1/2 is a 6309 (vintage) that is modded (modern)

  5. #4
    Member Rusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    246
    Very nice Mike, I love that dome too!
    Are they pointed crown guards? Can't quite tell from the pic.
    It looks terrific on.

  6. #5
    Member Teeritz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Melb, AUS
    Posts
    493
    Blog Entries
    3
    My 40 year Submariner chase is hopefully nearing it's end, Mike. And, with any luck, I'll have something like yours on my wrist one day soon. The Subs from 1977 to 1982 are, for me, their finest hour. Yours is a prime example. Huge congrats on a classic, classic, classic watch! Enjoy.

    teeritz

    (IWL Member No. 72)
    **************
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

  7. Likes rockmastermike liked this post
  8. #6
    Gleefully unadjusted. popoki nui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Vancouver Island.
    Posts
    3,993
    Don't know about the rest of you, but the patina looks pretty good and true-to-life in these pics. Beautiful watch (and cat), congrats!


    ~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Hamilton Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen



    Like IWL on Facebook!


  9. #7
    Stunning watch. Just stunning. One day I hope I can get something similar - a birth year Submariner would be fantastic...

  10. #8
    Everything fits exactly the way it should for an amazing watch: design, proportions, dial...great piece!

  11. #9
    Member CamB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    1,818
    Lovely watch. Congratulations

  12. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty427 View Post
    Very nice Mike, I love that dome too!
    Are they pointed crown guards? Can't quite tell from the pic.
    It looks terrific on.
    Thanks, rusty - no pointed CG on this one

    Quote Originally Posted by Teeritz View Post
    My 40 year Submariner chase is hopefully nearing it's end, Mike. And, with any luck, I'll have something like yours on my wrist one day soon. The Subs from 1977 to 1982 are, for me, their finest hour. Yours is a prime example. Huge congrats on a classic, classic, classic watch! Enjoy.
    Very much appreciate your words, Teeritz especially coming from you it means alot

    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    Don't know about the rest of you, but the patina looks pretty good and true-to-life in these pics. Beautiful watch (and cat), congrats!


    ~Sherry.
    Thanks, Sherry, I got lucky on a few and am learning as I go.

    Quote Originally Posted by thewalrus View Post
    Stunning watch. Just stunning. One day I hope I can get something similar - a birth year Submariner would be fantastic...
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Everything fits exactly the way it should for an amazing watch: design, proportions, dial...great piece!
    Quote Originally Posted by CamB View Post
    Lovely watch. Congratulations
    Walrus, CFR and CamB - Thank you very much!

  13. Likes Drster liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are an independent and wide-ranging forum for watch enthusiasts. From mainspring to microchip, from Europe to Asia, from micro-brand to boutique - we cover it all. Novice or expert, we want you to feel at home. Whether it's asking a simple question or contributing to the fund of horological knowledge, it's all the same hobby. Or, if you like, you can just show us a picture of your new watch. We'll provide the welcoming and courteous environment, the rest is up to you!
Join us