Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of flipping my Speedmaster for a Speedmaster... am I mad?

Thinking of flipping my Speedmaster for a Speedmaster... am I mad?

(apologies to the owners of the photos in this post, I'm just borrowing them as to use as examples)

I've owned an Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00 for a few years. It's an early-2000's model with Luminova dial and non-tapered bracelet with the double-button clasp - so basically, a standard modern Moonwatch. Looks just like this one:

It's always been a special favorite, one I thought I'd never part with... and yet, lately I've been having certain thoughts. Unfaithful thoughts. Maybe even heretical thoughts. Don't get me wrong, I have no plans to be without a Speedmaster in my collection. But I've never been a big fan of the non-tapered 1998 bracelet. Just don't like the way it causes the whole package to look so unbalanced. So I started looking at the older style tapered ones, and that led me to start dreaming of patinated tritium dials, and before I knew it I was staring longingly at images like these:

I've nearly managed to convince myself that for the same or less out-of-pocket cost as buying a 1498/1499 tapered bracelet, I could sell my Speedmaster and buy another one like the photos above. An older one, that is. Not so old as to be a priceless antique, but one from a couple decades back that's showing a bit of age but still looks dynamite. Creamy tritium lume plots. Enough patina to keep a grown man awake at night. Mmmm. Err... ahem.

Still, I already have a Moonwatch. It's a perfectly nice one. I can't believe I am seriously considering flipping it for an older one with a sightly different-shaped bit that goes round the wrist, and hour markers that don't glow as well but are a bit more yellow-colored than what I've already got.

I must be nuts...

- Matt
    Last edited by workahol; Apr 2, 2015 at 10:39 AM.

No, not nuts, but the tricky bit might be finding the older model in a condition that would satisfy you.

Looking at the pictures above, it would be very easy to say: 'Number 2, please!', but that is a very clean example. Could you find one as good, with box, papers and a service history?

I would take a nice vintage model every time.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

4. Likes shameless liked this post
    Blog Entries
    If you can find an older model with matching patina on the hands and dial, then I say go for it.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

6. Likes shameless liked this post
    I would only do this if it yields a Speedy with a 321 movement.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

8. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    i can relate to what you are feeling -i much prefer a tapered bracelet they show off the watch so much more and probably also an aged watch if i am being honest -- this is the original 1171 tapered bracelet on my old 1970' watch also with age related patina and wear - if it makes you more content no reason not to Name:  carmoon2.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  80.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Teeritz View Post
    If you can find an older model with matching patina on the hands and dial, then I say go for it.
    I agree. The second example shows one of the most common "problems" : the dial has some patina, but the hands seem brand new. Old dial and new hands are something I always try to avoid.
    Last edited by CFR; Apr 6, 2015 at 06:13 PM.

11. Likes shameless liked this post
    Thanks gents, all good points. I forgot to add that I do have an 1171 bracelet which I've tried on this watch, but for my tastes it's a bit too flimsy and rattly. Reminds me of the stock bracelet on a Seiko 5 honestly. Hence the focus on the 1498/1499.

Also good points about matching patina - however, I wonder if this is somewhat less important on the Speedmaster, whose white-painted hands with very thin lume strips will provide less opportunity to actually notice any such mismatch.

Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post

Also good points about matching patina - however, I wonder if this is somewhat less important on the Speedmaster, whose white-painted hands with very thin lume strips will provide less opportunity to actually notice any such mismatch.
    You'll notice, it. Trust me.

Last year I got a Speedy MK II and the seller had two pieces available for me to choose. One of them was a perfect match, but the other had new hands. It was too obvious.

14. Likes shameless liked this post
    By the way, if mismatched patina on hands and markers bothers you, don't start collecting military watches! The MoD watch repairers weren't as concerned with patina as we are.

16. Likes OhDark30 liked this post