Likes Likes:  121
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Who's dead already ?

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    While I don't like the snarky tone of the new thread title, I can report that Alan R. Pearlman passed away today (Jan 5, 2019) at age 93. Founder of ARP synthesizers, he was a very important part of electronic music history.
    That's sad news.
    Way back when, I used to lust after an ARP Quadra after I'd seen Gillian Gilbert (amongst others) with one. Alas it was akin to the Jupiter 8 in that it was way too expensive for me to afford.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

2. Likes skywatch liked this post
    Useless fact: I used to sell one for a brief period in the 80’s .... I seem to remember it was £399 and only 3 or 4 octaves ?
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

4. Likes skywatch liked this post
    Blog Entries
    While I don't like the snarky tone of the new thread title, I can report that Alan R. Pearlman passed away today (Jan 5, 2019) at age 93. Founder of ARP synthesizers, he was a very important part of electronic music history.
    I agree, I don't like the thread title. But I objected last year, and nothing came of that.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I agree, I don't like the thread title. But I objected last year, and nothing came of that.
    so did I but I will say this after me complaining last year (and the year before for that matter ) I did notice that one member approach has change when posting in here so might not have said anything (did not know how to brooch the subject ) so yes that showed respect that is sadly sometime lacking in here ..so I thank that member for the respect shown

and oh yes my friend past away on the 03/01/2019 so their one for the title
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Useless fact: I used to sell one for a brief period in the 80’s .... I seem to remember it was £399 and only 3 or 4 octaves ?

Maybe the ARP Odyssey?
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Maybe the ARP Odyssey?
    Nope, more like (looks wise) the one in the 2nd panel down on the right:

(2.5 octaves then )

Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

9. Likes skywatch, popoki nui liked this post
    I cut my synthesizer teeth on an ARP 2500 in college. There, I've dated myself...

11. Likes popoki nui, skywatch liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Nope, more like (looks wise) the one in the 2nd panel down on the right:

(2.5 octaves then )

Ahh, that's the Moog Rogue, a little affordable 1-oscillator mono-synth. I have a good friend who used to work for Tandy in the late 70s - early 80s, and he re-engineered the Rogue to become the Realistic MG-1 sold in Radio Shack stores for $499. This was after after Bob Moog lost the company to Norlin Music, a bit of a dark-age for the brand. ARP of course was one of their main competitors in the 70s, and also went through receivership and sold the brand in the 80s.

13. Likes Seriously, popoki nui liked this post
    Ahh, that's the Moog Rogue, a little affordable 1-oscillator mono-synth. I have a good friend who used to work for Tandy in the late 70s - early 80s, and he re-engineered the Rogue to become the Realistic MG-1 sold in Radio Shack stores for $499. This was after after Bob Moog lost the company to Norlin Music, a bit of a dark-age for the brand. ARP of course was one of their main competitors in the 70s, and also went through receivership and sold the brand in the 80s.
    Makes sense , it was Tandy I worked for in that short period (some part of the 80’s) , when that keyboard came along..... it appeared quite a random product at the time (but this was the U.K. and it was definitely a Moog not rebadged as Realistic ), but it was when we were trying various branded (non tandy) stuff out.
    it was definitely the style at least , mini and sloped back
    Last edited by Seriously; Jan 6, 2019 at 09:34 PM.
    Watches for SALE:

15. Likes skywatch, popoki nui liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Makes sense , it was Tandy I worked for in that short period (some part of the 80’s) , when that keyboard came along..... it appeared quite a random product at the time (but this was the U.K. and it was definitely a Moog not rebadged as Realistic ), but it was when we were trying various branded (non tandy) stuff out.
    it was definitely the style at least , mini and sloped back

Most likely this one, that my friend Paul Schreiber at Tandy developed with Bob Moog's blessing and schematics.

Name:  moog_concertmate_mg1.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  44.7 KB

Luckily Paul isn't dead yet. He went on to start a little one-man synth company that makes these:

Name:  MOTM-2016.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  140.0 KB

17. Likes synequano, Henry Krinkle, popoki nui liked this post