Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rado Bezel Stains

Rado Bezel Stains

For our Rado peeps, I have a Diastar Original and I’ve noticed, for lack of a better word, what looks like dark blue or black stain-spots on the bezel that won’t wipe off. I was under the impression the bezel was essentially impervious to scratches, tarnish, etc. Anyone else experience this, and if so, any remedies?

Hey there,

Henry may have a better suggestion, but when I've had that in the past, usually from hand lotion or mosquito repellent or food, I cured it quite simply. Assuming that it's a) not a vintage piece and 2) has decent WR - I just rinse it off.

I make sure the crown is seated, run a tap (faucet?) at room temperature and, holding the watch under a gentle stream of water, gradually raise the water temperature while rubbing the bezel. Dry and buff with a soft towel and job done. If the TC bezel goes a bit dark, the water is too warm, but this is temporary. I have on occasion used a mild detergent with great success - just try to keep it off the seals and rinse it very well afterwards. (And no rapid increases or decreases of temperature.)

This advice may well give the experts the horrors, but the (mis)treatment is based on Rado's claim in the user manuals that all modern Rados are sufficiently WR to shower with and swim with. Since lakes are cold and showers are hot, this treatment could be considered comparatively gentle.

Never had any issues, but you may want to ask your local friendly jeweler to conduct a pressure test before submerging the watch. Also, bear in mind that not all TC bezels are the same. The Bezels on my two XL's react differently. The Skeleton is more prone to darkening , whereas the rattrapante tends to get lighter. I've read that some collectors use metal polish, but you have to take care not to damage the outer layer as the metal gets porous beneath the outer surface.
    Last edited by FSM71; Jan 27, 2019 at 08:55 AM.
    I'd Schwarzkopf it daily, except I couldn't be bothered with the inevitable explanations...

3. Likes ctimrun liked this post
    would a water down poly watch mix help I wonder as when I polish crystals with it I some times use the rag after to wipe over the case to clean off any dirt and what not so maybe it might help ? or a cape cod maybe ?

not up on this model have you a pic ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

5. Likes ctimrun liked this post
    if vintage do you mean bezel or case edge ? as thought the originals was just case then I would cape cod it that what I do to help give vintage rado their shine back
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

7. Likes ctimrun liked this post
    Toothpaste.

Not just clean but minty fresh!

9. Likes ctimrun liked this post
    I've used toothpaste on poly crystals, but I'm wary of using any abrasives on TC bezels. The Cape Cod cloths might work, especially if the WR is compromised and one is wary of getting the watch so wet.

But since the issue isn't scratches and my Originals are still new enough to have decent WR, I've just used warm water and soap. (And done so with complete success.)

My skeleton Original has some fine scratches on the 9 o'clock side from the 'Metals' photo shoot I did for the IWL Photo Contest. I am sure Cape Cod would get it out, but since it's down the side, I can't be bothered to import the Cape Cod cloths since, as long as that TC bezel is nice and shiny, it's all good.
    I'd Schwarzkopf it daily, except I couldn't be bothered with the inevitable explanations...

11. Likes ctimrun liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    if vintage do you mean bezel or case edge ? as thought the originals was just case then I would cape cod it that what I do to help give vintage rado their shine back
    Yeah, I guess case, as there really isn’t a bezel, or it’s a case/bezel integration. It’s a new model, vice vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by ctimrun View Post
    Yeah, I guess case, as there really isn’t a bezel, or it’s a case/bezel integration. It’s a new model, vice vintage.

yeah cape cod it or you can get this cloth packs for silver and other metals that like polish clothes of different thickness / roughness that what I use too can't think what they call them thou but it's like a a carpet book and they all one on top of the next and you just use which ever you think would suit it

Last edited by is that my watch; Jan 27, 2019 at 02:42 PM.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

14. Likes ctimrun liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ctimrun View Post

That’s a great Rado. I vacillated between that exact model and the 50th anniversary limited edition as my first new Rado.
    I don’t see anything that warm water (and perhaps some mild detergent) won’t cure. I’d try that before moving on to anything abrasive.

16. Likes ctimrun, Henry Krinkle liked this post
    yeah have bid on one of the vinatge versions a few time as it bling like but just the right amount looking at a few rados as we speak hate auction why not just do buy now open to offers
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

18. Likes ctimrun liked this post