Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: **** lets talk pocket watches ****

**** lets talk pocket watches ****

Well I was sorting out some stuff and found my old pocket watches I ant used in a while, well not wearing suits any more so a few went. and I keep a none working family one from some where from 1920's / 1930's and then a 1960's none working Ingersoll (which am in the middle of fixing) and then a working 1970's Molina and then a 1950's smith empire military watch which I restore a couple of years back .

I love them but as I say don't really use them and it is a shame, I am one of those that are all for them being converted to wrist watches at times thinking when case are damaged or some heartless heathen has ripped them out of semi and precious cases for the scrap value especial so.

But some times it's nice to have them in an original case but to wear them as a wrist watch but their is a shocking lack of option on doing this that I have seen. I will list a few.

1) there was several 1909/ 1910 patents done for a spring load case holder ( seen one person doing a modern version bit pricey and looks uncomfortable).

2) there was a cover done but ant seen many that went over the pocket watch that had lugs on it so when a nato was added that held the pocket watch in place .

Then various leather pw straps that either use a snap on button to secure the pocket watch in a pouch or had a open front pouch that once a nato was slip through it pin it in place similar to number two .

There seems to be a lacking in this modern age a way of doing this cheaply ( think with steampunk all the rage now their would be loads of options and price ) as each of these methods are costly and even read somewhere someone had a cad file made of one and had it 3D printed.

Think also I might add pocket watch pics or poster I see when out and about on the internet, so might be a general pocket watch chat thread maybe but think it should really go in the vintage forum BUT things seem to get lost in their some times as only found if looking so think for now it can go in central ? .

So any pocket watches in your draws or any thought and feeling on them guys/girls ?.

lets here your thought and view then

As always Ismy
    Last edited by is that my watch; Jan 27, 2019 at 01:06 PM. Reason: will be updating it a bit
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes CFR, Mystic Nerd, FSM71 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    They’re quite pretty, but when it comes right down to it, they’re watches that go in the wrong place. I don’t have a place for a pocket watch in my pocket system and it would leave my wrist cold and lonely. My character in Red Dead Redemption 2 has a pocket watch, though. A nice one. Could be sold at a fence for about $4,600 in today’s money.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

4. Likes ctimrun liked this post

**** lets talk pocket watches ****

Even if I wouldn’t end up wearing it much, I’d very much like to add one to the collection. I got the wife a beautiful, smaller, vintage one (100+years old) a few years ago and it’s lovely! I do like some of the conversions, whether permanent or slide-in, though most would wear much too large for my wrist. I thought I might also get or make a stand and use it as a desk clock.
    Last edited by ctimrun; Jan 27, 2019 at 01:59 PM.

I bought a Casio stopwatch to use as a pocketwatch. I use it sometimes in the summer when it gets so hot that wearing any kind of wristwatch, even with a Nato, will irritate my skin. It is a HS80-TW and the funny thing is that it has some amazing features that no Casio wristwatch has, like 12 (!) alarms.

Gesendet von meinem RAINBOW mit Tapatalk
    Cheers, Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by ctimrun View Post
    Even if I wouldn’t end up wearing it much, I’d very much like to add one to the collection. I got the wife a beautiful, smaller, vintage one (100+years old) a few years ago and it’s lovely! I do like some of the conversions, whether permanent or slide-in, though most would wear much too large for my wrist. I thought I might also get or make a stand and use it as a desk clock.
    I made a few conversions will do some pics in a bit ..

but yes am looking for a 1920's or before key work movement pocket watch think they are so underrate and undervalued at the minute ...

but still they are not cheap to find one fully working and in perfect condition am looking for a joblot to tinker with as I have a Elsinore from 1920 which need's a service bit not sure where to find one locally plus the cost of the service would be more then it's worth so would only be viable if I was to use it more or if I could do the work myself as it's missing a seconds hand and feel jammed or over-wound so hope something I could possible fix
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

8. Likes ctimrun liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    I bought a Casio stopwatch to use as a pocketwatch. I use it sometimes in the summer when it gets so hot that wearing any kind of wristwatch, even with a Nato, will irritate my skin. It is a HS80-TW and the funny thing is that it has some amazing features that no Casio wristwatch has, like 12 (!) alarms.

well it's like a modern pocket watch really if it is the one I am thinking of use to use something similar when timing lengths
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

10. Likes Sedi liked this post
    It's this one - just noticed that I had the hyphen in the wrong place:
    https://www.casio-europe.com/euro/pr...r/hs-80tw-1ef/

Cheers, Sedi

here some I did the last one pic is one that am always working on like the look but the case size to dial movement is off so might at some point chance a 6497 movement and try the dial from a molina mix maybe but would have to trim both the dial and hands down to fit it
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

13. Likes Sedi, CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    It's this one - just noticed that I had the hyphen in the wrong place:
    https://www.casio-europe.com/euro/pr...r/hs-80tw-1ef/

not the model I used to be honest think my one was a timex ..but yes that was the one I had in mind for the casio one
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

sharky
    rest easy good buddy