Likes Likes:  49
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts?

Your thoughts?

What's your view on limited edition watch models being released exclusively for Hodinkee, Revolution watch mag, and other watchblogs?

What about limited edition models exclusive to jewelry stores? These days it seems everyone is doing their own exclusive limited editions.

Do you think it's a good thing or bad thing?
    Last edited by Cybotron; Jul 13, 2019 at 04:31 PM.
    Cheers,

Richard

The only party it benefits is the magazine , watch blog etc

oh and the manufacturer.

who , with any semblance of intelligence, in their right mind is gonna want to buy into that ?!?!

Probably the punter who also doesn't mind a big car dealer sticker in their back window

There I’ve said it
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

3. Likes Cybotron, boatme99 liked this post
    IMO limited editions generally aren’t a big deal; no pun intended, but there’s a limited number of people who are interested in mechanical watches to begin with. I doubt that there are many that would command a premium on the used market. Yes, there are exceptions (Omega Snoopy comes to mind), but they’re few and far between. There are non-LE watches that are much more likely to get a premium, like certain current Rolex models.

As for the hookups with Hodinkee and the like? Pffft. I can’t imagine them retaining value better than the regular models they’re based on. They might even not do as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see a lot of LE watches put together by entities other than the manufacturer as attempting to address the aesthetic / functional desires of the particular community, not necessarily trying to be an end al be all LE for investment sake.

Sometimes, they work, but I have seen some horrible attempts too.

6. Likes Cybotron, CFR, hayday liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    I see a lot of LE watches put together by entities other than the manufacturer as attempting to address the aesthetic / functional desires of the particular community, not necessarily trying to be an end al be all LE for investment sake.

Good point—the Topper LEs are a fine example of doing this. Lots of thought put into them. But they are for a very small set of people who appreciate them for what they are and aren’t expecting to flip them for a big profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes Cybotron, wschofield3, Samanator liked this post
    Some LE's are fine , some not so. To each their own. If someone likes what they're buying great , against for the sake of because it's an LE

10. Likes Cybotron liked this post
    I see Govberg selling this Hodinkee IWC overlist. Ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post

Great point.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

Richard

13. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybotron View Post
    What's your view on limited edition watch models being released exclusively for Hodinkee, Revolution watch mag, and other watchblogs?

What about limited edition models exclusive to jewelry stores? These days it seems everyone is doing their own exclusive limited editions.

Do you think it's a good thing or bad thing?

Just for the record, I’m talking about when they actually get the name on the dial.

If it’s a LE with nothing really to say it’s LE other than an unusual combination of non-standard aesthetics/options then it’s not as bad, but still lesser ‘value’ to me.
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

Limited editions turn me off more than on, and a Hodinkee limited edition might turn me off more than most.

I suppose part of my thinking is: ‘If the designer had thought that was a good idea, he’d have done it that way to begin with’.

I can think of a few exceptions, but not many.

16. Likes Cybotron, wschofield3 liked this post