Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I saw the new Speedmaster presentation box and straps at the AD yesterday.

I saw the new Speedmaster presentation box and straps at the AD yesterday.

Last Saturday I went to the AD to check out the new Omega Nato straps and they only one they had in was from the new model Speedmaster with the presentation box. The salesman reaches beneath the counter and pulls out a giant box that was probably a foot and a half wide! This thing was huge. It was so big that another couple that was looking at Tissot's came over to ask why the box was so large. After the salesman removed the paper sleeve we had a look at the outer box.

That monster opens up to revel this box

Inside are all the straps I was interested and some other goodies.

On to the straps....

I really wanted to see the black coated nylon like this:

The only Nato they had was an all black version of this strap:

I really like the look of the coated nylon better and nylon keepers wouldn't scrap against my desk the way the five ring Natos do. That said it was a really nice Nato strap. The strap felt just as strong as any other Nato I've felt before, however it felt much softer to the touch. Is that softness worth $200+? It's hard to say. I'll probably pop for the coated nylon when it's available (back ordered until June 2015) but only because I haven't found a similar strap like it that's just right. The cheap Natos don't quite do it for me. I have a GasGaBones strap on another watch but I don't really like the Velcro closure. I really liked the Hirsch Kevlar strap but it didn't seem to be very high quality. The black started wearing off the leather keepers really quickly and the deal breaker was how fast the edges started to fray. I also tried a Hadley Roma Cordura strap. It didn't have any fraying issues but it was never very comfortable.

We have a Omega boutique on the other side of town and I'll see if they have the strap I'm after in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    Last Saturday I went to the AD to check out the new Omega Nato straps and they only one they had in was from the new model Speedmaster with the presentation box. The salesman reaches beneath the counter and pulls out a giant box that was probably a foot and a half wide! This thing was huge. It was so big that another couple that was looking at Tissot's came over to ask why the box was so large. After the salesman removed the paper sleeve we had a look at the outer box.

That monster opens up to revel this box

Inside are all the straps I was interested and some other goodies.

On to the straps....

I really wanted to see the black coated nylon like this:

The only Nato they had was an all black version of this strap:

I really like the look of the coated nylon better and nylon keepers wouldn't scrap against my desk the way the five ring Natos do. That said it was a really nice Nato strap. The strap felt just as strong as any other Nato I've felt before, however it felt much softer to the touch. Is that softness worth $200+? It's hard to say. I'll probably pop for the coated nylon when it's available (back ordered until June 2015) but only because I haven't found a similar strap like it that's just right. The cheap Natos don't quite do it for me. I have a GasGaBones strap on another watch but I don't really like the Velcro closure. I really liked the Hirsch Kevlar strap but it didn't seem to be very high quality. The black started wearing off the leather keepers really quickly and the deal breaker was how fast the edges started to fray. I also tried a Hadley Roma Cordura strap. It didn't have any fraying issues but it was never very comfortable.

We have a Omega boutique on the other side of town and I'll see if they have the strap I'm after in stock.
    You really need to have this next to something for size reference. The box is huge to the point of like double the Longines Legend Diver box in size.

Supposedly the Speedy that comes in this has a new bracelet? Is it now one with screws or like the one on the Mark II and not the pin and collar version? I never bothered to look at the watch since I was not aware it changed until later.

Saw this package today, but hadn't enough time to spend I'll go back as soon as possible, because I really would like to try that nato strap

Found out the new bracelet is the screw type, but does not have the the micro clasp. The one from the Mark II will probably fit.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    You really need to have this next to something for size reference. The box is huge to the point of like double the Longines Legend Diver box in size.

Supposedly the Speedy that comes in this has a new bracelet? Is it now one with screws or like the one on the Mark II and not the pin and collar version? I never bothered to look at the watch since I was not aware it changed until later.
    I agree. The pics are not mine as evident by the website on the bottom. I would guess the new presentation box is larger than four of the older white boxes. They are supposed to call me back about ordering a 20mm Tag buckle and if they can get one I'll take a comparison pic when I go to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Found out the new bracelet is the screw type, but does not have the the micro clasp. The one from the Mark II will probably fit.
    I probably sound like a broken record if you were on the other forum, but I HATE screws. I've had screw heads fall out of two different braclets, neither Omega, and its terrifying to think the watch could have fallen off. I know people put lock tight in the threads, but when the screw bar attaches the bracelet, like on Kobold, that's not an option if you want to be able to change the straps.

I'm a little surprised they didn't include the micro adjustment clasp. I guess they feel it's for divers only.

Blog Entries
    That presentation case is crazy sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    I probably sound like a broken record if you were on the other forum, but I HATE screws. I've had screw heads fall out of two different braclets, neither Omega, and its terrifying to think the watch could have fallen off. I know people put lock tight in the threads, but when the screw bar attaches the bracelet, like on Kobold, that's not an option if you want to be able to change the straps.

I'm a little surprised they didn't include the micro adjustment clasp. I guess they feel it's for divers only.
    The micro adjust clasp is on the Speedy Mark II so that does not appear to be the reason. I though it was to be on all the newer versions. As I noted the a Mark II one may fit.

This set up is not a screw bar. The screw on each side is a cap. The is a heavy pin in the middle that floats between the links and the screws just keep it from slipping out. It works pretty good.

On the box just so you know the length on that is like 18-20 inches. So it's like about 10-12 white boxes.
    Last edited by Samanator; Nov 18, 2014 at 06:59 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Very cool. Holy smokes $200 for a NATO! I must have one

I would buy a new displace case at home just to show off the new speedmaster display box ... LOL