Likes Likes:  240
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WRUW Thursday 18th of April

P7230295 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Quote Originally Posted by stew77 View Post
    Going with the new arrival today, MKII Key West (I pre-ordered this one some 3.5 years ago and it's finally here! )

I can say that Bill Yao builds one heck of a nice watch...the gilt dial on this one is spectacular and even more gorgeous in person, and I'm loving the roulette date wheel.

Looks great. I gotta say that beats my longest wait by about 2 years and ten months. I'm not sure I could do it.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybotron View Post
    Wow may I ask why the long wait.

You could mobilise more quickly for a Thirty Year War than Bill Yao does for a watch.

Good bloke, great watches, but model development is the stuff of legend. Partly, it’s down to his perfectionism.

4. Likes Cybotron liked this post
    Going with the new arrival today, MKII Key West (I pre-ordered this one some 3.5 years ago and it's finally here! )

I can say that Bill Yao builds one heck of a nice watch...the gilt dial on this one is spectacular and even more gorgeous in person, and I'm loving the roulette date wheel.

Nice, Chris! But that wait, wow. That beats my RGM, which is at two years now but getting very close to being finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes stew77, Strela167 liked this post
    Overnight trip

Olympos of course:

Name:  1804.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  197.5 KB

Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

3½ years ?! Struth, and I was getting 'twitchy' after only a couple of months with the Olympos.
    Looks like it was worth the wait, though - Good looking piece.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

10. Likes stew77 liked this post
    G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    GW-6900 today. It has been on my wrist every day since I embarked on a trip to Costa Rica and it will be on my wrist until I return early next week.

It is a perfect travel companion. It has been to the beach; it has been swimming and snorkeling. It will accompany me on hikes through national parks and downtime lounging by swimming pools. It has the functions I actually use and none I don’t. It keeps time reliably even out of range of “atomic” synchronization. I don’t have to remember to charge it and it works when there is no cellular service, no internet, etc. It is understated, bordering on ugly to a non-G fan. It is unlikely to arouse much interest among the pickpockets and thieves one occasionally runs across while traveling.

12. Likes mlcor, hayday, stew77, Cybotron, Greg, Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Congrats Chris!

Wow, that's a long wait. Glad it was worth it. Looks perfect. Very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    That is quite nice. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Cybotron View Post
    Congrats!!! Wow may I ask why the long wait.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Looks great. I gotta say that beats my longest wait by about 2 years and ten months. I'm not sure I could do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    You could mobilise more quickly for a Thirty Year War than Bill Yao does for a watch.

Good bloke, great watches, but model development is the stuff of legend. Partly, it’s down to his perfectionism.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Nice, Chris! But that wait, wow. That beats my RGM, which is at two years now but getting very close to being finished.

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    3½ years ?! Struth, and I was getting 'twitchy' after only a couple of months with the Olympos.
    Looks like it was worth the wait, though - Good looking piece.
    Thank you all for the kind words on the new arrival!

Indeed, the wait was ridiculously long...the upside to waiting that long for something is that you forget you even ordered it, so when it arrives, it's a nice surprise!!!

Alan did a great job of answering Richard's question as to "why was the wait so long?" Thanks Alan! That has pretty much been the process for Bill Yao's project watches (some have taken longer, some shorter, but usually the project from start to finish is measured in years, not months). Bill is a great guy, he really sweats the details for these project watches, and as Alan pointed out, is quite a perfectionist, but that leads to a great product in the end. (I also believe the watch manufacturing industry has experienced some twists and turns over the past 5 years or so, which has made it harder to "get the product quality at the desired level", even from a supplier base that used to be able to deliver at the desired quality level.) He is offering some watches that clearly don't take this much wait time, and is even offering pieces that are basically "ready to go" when announced...think Hawkinge and Cruxible along with a few others.

Fortunately, I mostly knew what I was getting into (but honestly didn't think it would take quite this long)....

Thanks again all for the kind words!

Cheers,

Chris

14. Likes Cybotron, Greg, Strela167 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post

Thanks ml! 2 years is indeed a long time as well...really looking forward to seeing your custom RGM!!! No doubt that it will be worth the wait!
    Cheers,

Chris

16. Likes mlcor liked this post