Name:  BILD3816.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  63.9 KB

Blog Entries
    50 year Rado Diastar on iyonk

Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    50 year Rado Diastar on iyonk
    Is that actually 50 years old ?!?!.... or some 50 year anniversary model ?

Good morning IWL

Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    It's the 50th anniversary "tribute to 1962" that Ashford was blowing out in their 2016 Black Friday thingie. Tungsten Carbide bezel, wears very large for its 35x42mm dimension. I can only imagine how big the D-stars must look at 42mm wide.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

5. Likes Seriously, Henry Krinkle, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    It's the 50th anniversary "tribute to 1962" that Ashford was blowing out in their 2016 Black Friday thingie. Tungsten Carbide bezel, wears very large for its 35x42mm dimension. I can only imagine how big the D-stars must look at 42mm wide.
    I concur. Always felt the L’s wore closer to 38mm than their 35mm, despite not having exposed lugs. The 38mm XL’s with their exposed semi articulated lugs wear closer to 42mm. But I attribute that to the width of the Rado Original style bezel. The D-Star has a slimmer bezel so I’m not sure they’ll wear too big.
    I'd Schwarzkopf it daily, except I couldn't be bothered with the inevitable explanations...

7. Likes skywatch, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by FSM71 View Post
    I concur. Always felt the L’s wore closer to 38mm than their 35mm, despite not having exposed lugs. The 38mm XL’s with their exposed semi articulated lugs wear closer to 42mm. But I attribute that to the width of the Rado Original style bezel. The D-Star has a slimmer bezel so I’m not sure they’ll wear too big.

The D-Star doesn't wear like the Diastar. No doubt it wears big, but in an oddly inobtrusive way. It's relatively thin for it's size and the large sloping zero elevation bezel keeps the size down in a way that the square shoulders of a Diastar could never do.

P4070478 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Good morning IWL
    I've yet to take a picture of it with my actual 50 year old Diastar, but here it is with the 40 year old Diastar that inspired it, right down to including a set of cufflinks.

1c92984e-a715-46e1-aae3-ac257f9300bc_zpsqq0rfcls by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    I've yet to take a picture of it with my actual 50 year old Diastar, but here it is with the 40 year old Diastar that inspired it, right down to including a set of cufflinks
    Why don't more companies do that, an almost exact replica of a 'years old' model

I keep waiting for Longines or Omega to bring back a facsimile model of some of their pre-60's dress watches.
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

11. Likes skywatch, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Why don't more companies do that, an almost exact replica of a 'years old' model

I keep waiting for Longines or Omega to bring back a facsimile model of some of their pre-60's dress watches.
    Funny thing is, when Rado released this they believed that no one was interested in them historically, or as a heritage brand. There new Captain Cook Mk II is an exact 3D scanned replica of the original and the CC Mk I is barely distinguishable from the orignal to most people.

13. Likes skywatch, Seriously, watchdaddy1, FSM71 liked this post

I thought they did a good job with this Heritage 1945. Handwind and slightly different placement of the subdial would be preferred, overall still a great watch.

Pics from Hodinkee

Original vs new

-- Wayne

15. Likes Seriously, Greg, watchdaddy1, FSM71 liked this post