Likes Likes:  37
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying the cheapest watch in a brand collection.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    It is interesting that the basic Speedy Pro is much loved but could on one level be considered the entry point to the Speedmaster collection.
    Yes. However, it is not the cheapest Omega.

Seamaster, De Ville, Constellation, and even certain models of Aqua Terra are priced below the Speedy.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Would it feel better to have the top of the range on your wrist?......
    Nope. Not for me. I like certain watches because I like them. And not just within one company's range; I like my G-Shocks as much as I like my Rolexes, Tudors, Eternas, etc. My watch likes have nothing to do with price, status, or "prestige". I like (and buy) certain watches because I like them. Nothing more.

Edit: don't get me wrong. I do educate myself on brands I'm interested in. In their history, quality, movements, cases, and so on. And those do play at least a minor role in my choice of wristwear, but ultimately, my choice boils down to a combination of everything, but mostly.....if I like it and will be happy wearing it.

~Sherry.
    Last edited by popoki nui; Nov 18, 2014 at 04:26 AM.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

3. Likes uchinanchu, Rob, MarkO, M. Montaigne liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    I wouldn't call a Speedy an entry level Omega.
    Neither would I but mine isn't the Pro and its the 3510.50 "Reduced". Its not the "Real Deal" according to many. None the less, its a lovely watch. And yeh I guess there are cheaper Omega to be had than any Speedmaster.

Depends. Sticking to models that I like the basic JLC reverso is probably their entry level model but I'd be very happy with one. I could get a Nomos worldtimer for about the same price which (excluding their lux range) is probably the top for them. Really I'd be happy with either.

Mark - what was the alternative to the FPJ? I'm not sure that counts as entry-level though, boutique brands are different I think.

Also on a general note entry level often just means simple, which and people prefer.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

There are some entry level watches I would love to own, and at some point in time I just might. I should make a quite drastic career change, into the more shady businesses to be able to afford the more upscale models. One of my favorites would be:

7. Likes MarkO liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post
    The Bleu is a truly wonderful piece that requires no justification by comparison to any other watch within the brand or not.

I have no problem going low-end in the range. I have the IWC Spitfire chrono 3717 which ran about $5k (more or less bottom of IWC's pricing).......

..... and I LOVE it!

Attachment 422
    Attachment 426
    IWC is a brand from which I would ONLY consider "entry level" watches with third party movements. This is the only Ingy I like.

Aside from purchase price, I wouldn't want to be stuck with IWC when it comes to servicing for the dubious pleasure of a movement that looks pretty but offers little other than a quirky winding system and asks that you wear something resembling a 1:3 scale Millennium Falcon on your arm.
    Last edited by GaryF; Nov 20, 2014 at 09:02 AM.

9. Likes MarkO liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Depends. Sticking to models that I like the basic JLC reverso is probably their entry level model but I'd be very happy with one. I could get a Nomos worldtimer for about the same price which (excluding their lux range) is probably the top for them. Really I'd be happy with either.

Mark - what was the alternative to the FPJ? I'm not sure that counts as entry-level though, boutique brands are different I think.

Also on a general note entry level often just means simple, which and people prefer.
    I was just using the Bleu and FP Journe as an example where my highest possible budget would reach the level of their lowest price model, and how that made you feel as an owner.
    I didn't intend this as a this or that shall I buy it thread more philosophical in the how purchasing something makes you feel.

A similar concept is if you have $100 and always hang around with people with $150 you may feel like the poor relation where if you are with people who have $75 you may feel king of the hill.

Personally, I don't need to compare my self to others, I am generally quite comfortable in myself but I have spent time with people who have the need to compare and compete.
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    I cared more about whether I actually liked the watch in question more than where it ranked in the company's lineup.
    ~Sherry.
    I agree with Sherry. First and foremost is how I feel about the watch in question. I do think branding matters in the sense that it tells you what you can expect from a manufacturer in terms of quality, and customer experience. Where a particular model fits in a brands lineup is of no consequence for me personally. If I preferred a Air King to a Deep Sea I wouldn't feel like I bought a lower quality Rolex.

12. Likes MarkO, Nutty28 liked this post

Buying the cheapest watch in a brand collection.

If your worried about where it sits in the brands collection then it does not sound like your buying what you want? You won't keep it if you have the reservations. So if it doesn't blow your socks off then figure out what does? Some bottom of the collection pieces really look it and some don't. Seems to affect more the ultra high end brands. Make sure your not just buying it for the name?

Now that your reaching an age milestone one thing more that you might want to consider is the cost of service overtime. I had a few GO and looked at a PP, but then when I looked at service costs over time I started to chill on these brands. After that I decided to concentrate on Rolex and Omega that have far more reasonable service or very long intervals between service. I don't feel I'm compromising since I love the watches I have.
    Last edited by Samanator; Nov 18, 2014 at 07:36 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

14. Likes OTGabe, Rob liked this post
    I recall reading a Hoodinkee article about this watch in comparison to VC and ALS. You probably saw this in your research but here it is just in case...

http://www.hodinkee.com/features/thr...al-dress-watch
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

16. Likes MarkO liked this post