Likes Likes:  37
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buying the cheapest watch in a brand collection.

Blog Entries
    I think that I tend to like the lowest price-point watch from most brands by default because I like clean, simple, crisp dials. Usually three-handers sans date. If you're really into horology, I guess you'd want something horologically significant, which would mean a complication, which would mean higher end of the brand. If I had some crazy funds, I'd get a PP Nautilus as the obligatory stainless steel sports watch, the aforementioned FPJ Chronometer Bleu (could be the greatest watch at any price-point, honestly), an ALS 1815, and probably a gold two-handed JLC MUT as a "dress" watch. Those are my tastes, a thousand in the bank, a million in the bank, a billion in the bank.

Well, with a billion, I might spring for one of these in addition to those I've mentioned:

Name:  fpjintrotourb.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  60.4 KB

2. Likes OrangeSport liked this post
    My Calatrava 5119J is literally the cheapest men's Patek Philippe one can buy, but to me, it's also one of their most iconic dress watches. More importantly, even if I end up with a more complicated Patek, the 5119J will always have a place in my collection.

Indeed, if I were to purchase any F.P. Journe, it would be the Chronometre Bleu, and it's not simply a matter of price either. Rather, I find it to be extremely attractive with its amazing blue dial, and the extremely scratch resistant Tantalum case is a huge positive for me.

Patek Philippe
    Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Baume & Mercier Hampton Annual Calendar; Tudor Black Bay.

Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field H70555863; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull 818.900 Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN017P1; Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51.

4. Likes MarkO, popoki nui, Nutty28 liked this post
    [QUOTE But don't feel bad about getting in to an entry-level watch. Just be happy with your purchase!][/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Lots of really good fish in the sea.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

lost in translation birdynamnam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CamB View Post
    Attachment 429

Yeh I have one, the Speedmaster 3510.50. Now Ive been around watch forums long enough to know a lot Omega people look down their nose at this one. Doesn't worry me though - its a super watch in in its own right and even though its entry level Omega, its pretty cool in my book.
    This Speedmaster is superb
    Entry level or high end doesn't really matter
    This watch belongs to contemporary horological history
    But, the most important is you like it and wear this watch with pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    Totally agree. Lots of really good fish in the sea.
    Are we still talking about watches?

8. Likes CamB liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Honestly don't like the top of many brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    Honestly don't like the top of many brands.
    Gilding the Lilly ?
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Gilding the Lilly ?
    I knew a Lily who liked being gilded, with diamonds and couture.

12. Likes MarkO liked this post
    I have a Sinn 556I which is considered their entry level. Never really gave it allot of thought. It could have been at the top of their range with all their fancy technology and cost twice as much and I still would of went for it as long as it looked the same.

It's an interesting question and one that I gave some thought to earlier on. What dawned on me was the fact that with my penchant for basic/simple time only watches, almost by definition I'd be looking at "entry level" since most brands move their prices up as the complications get added on (simplistic but basically true for the watches/brands I look at). Cheapest is good!! Without actually making it a priority I'm thinking I've saved a lot of money over the years just by loving only "lower end" of brand offerings. No changes anticipated, thankfully . . .
    Last edited by uchinanchu; Nov 20, 2014 at 03:46 AM.

15. Likes popoki nui, MarkO, OrangeSport liked this post