Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding Forum Content

Adding Forum Content

We need to look back at what we've learned and create the kinds of threads that bring in new people.

I'm going to work on it over the holidays here in the US this coming week.

I think we need a Mil/Pil forum to get started...

This is the kinda thread Tony2009 would spend seemingly a whole day researching...

I think there are three basic ways to get new members:

1. From other forums, which has/is being done at the only level that is "acceptable" BTW tell your friends if you haven't
    2. From google searches for Watch forum and the like, IWL is WAY down on that list
    3. threads that hit on google searches

#3 is what you are basically referring too

Long running WRUW type threads with lots of pictures
    Skinny wrist threads
    best _____ watch where the blank is a type of watch or a specific complication
    Brand vs brand threads
    reviews/discussions of specific high demand watches Rolex Sub and the like
    best _____ homage threads

4. Likes Nokie liked this post
    It's a tough balancing act! You want growth, but you want quality growth. I certainly understand that first hand and as a forum grows it tends to get more difficult to keep a low key vibe...with little or no moderation.

Apparently 'is my Chinese cast pot metal open heart automatic day/night indicator a real Patek?' the most popular forum thread topic in the history of the internet.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

Blog Entries
    We appreciate any and all content contributions but please folks - just enjoy yourselves. We don't want burnout in our first couple of weeks.

How about trying a blog post or two? You can have a blog here very easily and it might be a novel way to contribute.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

8. Likes Rob liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrema View Post
    It's a tough balancing act! You want growth, but you want quality growth. I certainly understand that first hand and as a forum grows it tends to get more difficult to keep a low key vibe...with little or no moderation.
    90+% of moderation is linked to two groups:

1. newbies, trolls and spammers who either don't know the rules or disregard them
    2. long term members who begin to take liberties with the rules and often "take" the pill of moderation poorly

The second is by far the most difficult to deal with from a Mod's POV.

The most important thing with moderation is consistency which is often difficult when you have multiple mods in a sub-forum (which is almost required on a larger forum or an international one) or when there are changes in the Mod crew.

I personally am for string moderation up front, make the rules clear and how/when they will be enforced then the community with self moderate to a large extent.

10. Likes GaryF liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post
    We appreciate any and all content contributions but please folks - just enjoy yourselves. We don't want burnout in our first couple of weeks.

How about trying a blog post or two? You can have a blog here very easily and it might be a novel way to contribute.
    I promise to protect myself from burnout and not contribute for at least the next couple of years.

12. Likes RayMac, Nokie, Bwana liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    I think we need a Mil/Pil forum to get started...
    I'm thinking that this might need to happen sooner rather than later, too.

I am pretty happy as is for such a new forum.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

15. Likes Der Amf liked this post