Likes Likes:  206
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Whining Winos of IWL

Big red fan here too. Merlot, Cabernet, Malbec, Beaujolais....I guzzle it all. Seriously, though...we have some terrific wineries here on the island; I'll share some of their wines as I go along. One of my favourites is Cherry Point Winery. Their reds are incredible, but their blackberry port desert wine is beyond words. We drive up there every so often and fill the trunk of the car with their offerings.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

2. Likes bu11itt liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by vinylgreek View Post
    We have a semi-regular gathering of friends wherein we cook a different menu each time and share wines. The results of last night's festivities. Didn't quite finish the Silver Oak and Sine Qua Non but we did give it the old college try.

Attachment 18621Attachment 18622Attachment 18623Attachment 18624Attachment 18625Attachment 18626
    Very nice. Sounds like a great time. I've never had an SQN, and with the list being impossible to crack and secondary market prices what they are I doubt I ever will.
    Chris:

Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    Big red fan here too. Merlot, Cabernet, Malbec, Beaujolais....I guzzle it all. Seriously, though...we have some terrific wineries here on the island; I'll share some of their wines as I go along. One of my favourites is Cherry Point Winery. Their reds are incredible, but their blackberry port desert wine is beyond words. We drive up there every so often and fill the trunk of the car with their offerings.

~Sherry.
    That's pretty cool. Can't say I've every really been into port, just not a style I've experimented with. Wouldn't be against trying some though.
    Chris:

5. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by scottjc View Post
    Sloe gin is a big favourite around here and I use the same principle to make a variety of fruit vodkas each year.
    This year I will almost certainly be making apricot brandy that way, as well as apricot wine. As well, I am quite intrigued by the possibility of making melomel, which is apricot mead. I have a friend with an urban hive so both the apricots and the honey will be from my neighbourhood.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; May 4, 2015 at 05:14 AM.

7. Likes scottjc liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post

~Sherry.
    Last time we were in Victoria it was an eating/drinking holiday ( did you seemy picture in the mugshot gallery form Victioria?) and it did involve a lot of Van Isle wines.

There are no grape wine growers in Saskatchewan. Yet. The University is working on hybrids based on Manitoba grape rootstock. They have manged to get a -40F/C hardy grape that is roughly equivalent to current Canadian Baco Noir but -40F isn't really quite hardy enough for Saskatchewan. They are shooting for -50C bald prairie hardy. In the meantime we have an award winning fruit winery called Living Sky and SUE and Vance make some delicious product. Their rhubarb wine is a tasty summer deck white, as well as apple, haskap, currant, raspberry, sour cherry (two kinds), strawberry. They also make several port style cherry wines and a cantaloupe ice wine that I cannot recommend to anyone who does not like canteloupe. If you do, however...
    For those who have never had haskap it is a delicious if unattractive prairie berry brought to Saskatchewan by Ukrainian immigrants.

http://livingskywinery.com/

They grow seven different fruits based on the ope that at least one will deliver a crop each year. The rhubarb always does.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    There are no grape wine growers in Saskatchewan.
    But you do have Saskatchewan Champagne*: Old Style Pil!

Language Warning:

*Despite the name, actually from Lethbridge, AB.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

11. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Statius View Post
    But you do have Saskatchewan Champagne*: Old Style Pil!

Language Warning:

*Despite the name, actually from Lethbridge, AB.
    Pil is for kids that can't hold their beer. Real men and women out here drink Boh, which used to come from Prince Albert and was a triple fermented beer. It is infinitely inferior now that production has moved to Edmonton.

Name:  bohemian.png
Views: 79
Size:  73.9 KB

I drink Nokomis or Paddockwood for local beer.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; May 4, 2015 at 03:06 AM.

13. Likes Statius liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by bu11itt View Post
    Very nice. Sounds like a great time. I've never had an SQN, and with the list being impossible to crack and secondary market prices what they are I doubt I ever will.
    It's always a good time and if some of the dishes don't turn out quite the way we would have liked the wine compensates. It's funny you mention the price of the SQN. A couple of our friends were reluctant to pour more than a few sips and had to be coaxed into enjoying it. It's wine and meant to be consumed after all - and preferably among people with whom we care to spend time.

The Wesmar vertical was surprisingly good.

I drink everything except cider and rose. Never seen the point of the latter. My favourite white is the zesty, fresh new Zealand Marlborough sauvignon Blanc - it's the only white I drink really.

As for red I'll drink anything really - I can't differentiate between them like I can whites.

Oh and bucket loads of prosecco - any really - much preferred to cava, and most of the champagne I've tried. I'm sure there's some good vintage stuff out there but it's too pricey for me.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague