Likes Likes:  5

Thread: B1 question please

B1 question please

when the Breitling faithful arrive , i would be very interested in their take on the B1 as an everyday go to [ the middle model particularly , the mk 2 i guess ] the one prior to the super quartz -

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    when the Breitling faithful arrive , i would be very interested in their take on the B1 as an everyday go to [ the middle model particularly , the mk 2 i guess ] the one prior to the super quartz -
    The B1 is one of those iconic watches that everybody (almost) knows about. It's been around a while and is still as popular today as it ever has been for collectors. Probably not so much for your average watch person which is why I suppose it was discontinued. As an everyday watch it's fabulous. I had the B2 which is basically the same watch.

3. Likes shameless liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Broker View Post
    The B1 is one of those iconic watches that everybody (almost) knows about. It's been around a while and is still as popular today as it ever has been for collectors. Probably not so much for your average watch person which is why I suppose it was discontinued. As an everyday watch it's fabulous. I had the B2 which is basically the same watch.
    thankyou my friend -i think i may be persuaded to go for one that has been offered by xmas time - though a great watch maybe the B2 model is a little too busy on the dial and bezel for me - thankyou again for taking the trouble -peter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    thankyou my friend -i think i may be persuaded to go for one that has been offered by xmas time - though a great watch maybe the B2 model is a little too busy on the dial and bezel for me - thankyou again for taking the trouble -peter
    Well, we had this discussion on the other forum that we were both at. You won't find many people that have anything bad to say about the B-1. The B-2 was always busy and I think that's what drew people to that particular watch. The B-1 was a much more universally accepted watch because of it's simplicity, it's combination of analog and digital and the very cool caseback. Also the back lighting. You wouldn't believe how much back light means to people.

6. Likes shameless liked this post
    I just ordered a B1, and to me, it is quite unfortunate that Breitling stopped making them. They are an iconic, well-made watch with a good mix of usability, aesthetics, and features.

8. Likes shameless liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    I just ordered a B1, and to me, it is quite unfortunate that Breitling stopped making them. They are an iconic, well-made watch with a good mix of usability, aesthetics, and features.
    I saw that earlier. The B1 was discontinued a while back and while it's probably one of the most well liked and versatile watches for an actual pilot, it was taken off the shelf and new models were brought in. But if history is any indication, we will see a revamped B1 at some point in the future. Hopefully sooner rather than later. It really has everything a pilot needs. The digital functions, plus backlight, plus alarm just really makes it a nice watch to wear in the cockpit. And lots do. I fly commercially every so often and I see a lot of Aerospace on the wrists of the pilots.

10. Likes shameless liked this post
    I saw that earlier. The B1 was discontinued a while back and while it's probably one of the most well liked and versatile watches for an actual pilot, it was taken off the shelf and new models were brought in. But if history is any indication, we will see a revamped B1 at some point in the future. Hopefully sooner rather than later. It really has everything a pilot needs. The digital functions, plus backlight, plus alarm just really makes it a nice watch to wear in the cockpit. And lots do. I fly commercially every so often and I see a lot of Aerospace on the wrists of the pilots.
    I would agree with you, and as I mentioned elsewhere, some of the other models never even entered into consideration. It was either the B-1 or the Aerospace, and the former is much more useful and better looking.

The Cockpit B50 and the Chronospace Military aren't bad, but I just found the B-1 to be a much better watch overall. The new Emergency isn't bad either, but at $18K, it's a bit over the top, especially since a certified good emergency beacon is available for about $20. I suppose one could still buy the old Emergency for a few years more, but that's for another discussion.

Blog Entries
    I have an older emergency. Still love it

I have an older emergency. Still love it
    Oh they're great watches. They were extremely popular there for a while, too.

I guess from an actual emergency utilitarian perspective, I question the value of the old ones in future years, that is all. But that is still pointless because Breitling has rescued over 20 people who have actually used the Emergency, and as far as I know, there have been no casualties or failure.

I would like to say you'll hear about them if they failed, but then that's not necessarily true. For all we know, there is someone buried in the Atlantic whose Emergency beacon didn't function.

14. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Blog Entries
    The value should decline. I fully expect that. Actually it already has