Earlier this year, Omega made a welcome announcement — the Swiss manufacture was bringing back the 321 caliber, the legendary chronograph movement that powered early Speedmasters (among others), including those that eventually made their way up to the moon. The 321 is an excellent and much-adored movement, and the news ushering its revival definitely got some buzz in collector circles. Today, on the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing, we’re finally seeing its official return in — you guessed it — a Speedmaster, this one dubbed the Speedmaster Moonwatch 321 Platinum.*
The Speedmaster Moonwatch 321 Platinum is, as the name proudly states, rendered in a special alloy of platinum and gold (Pt950Au20). Additionally, the bezel is black ceramic, and the tachymeter scale is done in white enamel. Around back is an open window to the beautifully-finished column-wheel movement. Otherwise, the DNA of the case, with its asymmetrical form and twisted lugs, is right from reference ST 105.012.

The dial’s got plenty of personality, too. It’s a deep black onyx with 18K white gold indexes and hands. The three sub-dials feature meteorite, and Omega claims they’re using “real slices of moon meteorite” here. As you can see from Omega’s images, the overall execution is tamer than the description would have one believe, and all the elements work together quite well.
The watch is expected this winter, but there’s no pricing information as of yet. Given the use of precious materials and the new (old?) movement, I expect this one to be up there in its MSRP. Nevertheless, it’s a very cool commemorative watch, and certainly something collectors will dig. That said, I also cannot wait for the first stainless steel with a 321 engine, which I’m hoping isn’t too far behind. Omega

Images from this post:

The post Introducing the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch 321 Platinum appeared first on Worn & Wound.

More...