Likes Likes:  1,092
Page 278 of 286 FirstFirst ... 178228268276277278279280 ... LastLast
Results 2,771 to 2,780 of 2851

Thread: TV you just love (or at least really like)

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    SPOILERS FOR 3 BODY PROBLEM DO NOT READ!!!!!!

So, my biggest issues with the show started when they created that nano fiber net to kill all those children on that ship to get the hard drive, or whatever it was. It made absolutely no sense. Why make this complicated net to wreak uncontrolled destruction on the ship, potentially destroying the thing they were trying to retrieve, when they easily could have sent two Zodiac crafts in with SAS/SBS, clandestinely retrieved the drive, and then scuttled the ship in the open ocean (or, you know, not slaughtered dozens and dozens of innocent children) rather than shutting down the Panama Canal to set a trap? Even if you accept that everyone in the cult should be killed, even the kids, if you want to retrieve intel from there, cutting the whole ship into tiny slices seems a rather dumb way of going about it.

From there, the show just fell apart for me. There’s all this worry about the aliens coming in 400 years that they’re devoting these crazy resources to finding a way to fight them—when by the aliens’ own admission, due to our rate of scientific progress, by the time they actually do arrive on Earth, Earth will be far superior technologically, so the aliens wouldn’t actually pose a threat and this whole thing has been a sabotage plot against science. So I don’t get the panic when…I don’t know know, global warming could cause a lot more damage in those 400 years and maybe they should throw a couple trillion at that.

Then there are little things that also don’t make any sense. The sick buy dropping £19.5 million on a paper certificate for a star to give to the girl he pined over all his life…no one can own stars, no one can sell them. Why spend 19.5 million pounds on one?! You can buy a star in the star registry for $45. It’s on sale now, I just checked. But it’s one of those sales that feels like it’s always on sale, because buying a star that no one can own from someone who also doesn’t own it is stupid. He took his brutally murdered friend’s money, his life’s worth, and wasted it, when he could have spent it on avant-garde treatments or, just, I don’t know, giving it to charity and helping people if he so desperately didn’t want it.

Also, this whole idea of cutting someone’s brain out to send it to the aliens so they can reconstitute him and he can be a spy? This has to be the dumbest shit I’ve ever heard in any show or movie ever and I just watched Aquaman 2, so that’s saying something. Even if (1) the aliens are awake and not in some sort of stasis (big if; we have no idea what their natural life spans are, but I’m pretty sure it’s not 400 years) and (2) they do intercept and remake him in some way, how can he be a spy? He’ll be a brain in a box on a ship 200 light years away. He can’t exactly send a text. Also, if you can send a payload to them, why not, say, a couple dozen nukes to blow up all the aliens rather than gather intel that can’t be passed on to humans until after the aliens reach Earth?

And again, this is all in an effort to combat a threat that will not be a threat by the time it arrives.

I’ll finish the series, but it went from a potentially interesting show to a hate watch for me.

When I saw how many Lost and Game of Thrones alums were on the creative team, I was a little worried because those shows set up some really interesting mystery boxes (that didn’t pay off well) and then had serious trouble when the source material ran out. Turns out I was right to be.

Just my opinion though, I’m honestly glad you enjoyed it.
    I'm pretty much in the same boat here, though my feelings aren't quite as strong. I think the last 2- 3 episodes is where it went off the rails. I wonder if it was a feeling they weren't getting a second season, and they just tried to cram a bunch of stuff at the end.

2. Likes Fantasio, Raza liked this post
    Shogun is good so far
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

4. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Shogun is good so far
    Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fallout is good fun

7. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    @Raza, finished 3 Body Problem. I agree it went badly off course (pun intended for final episode). The Panama thing didn’t make much sense and seemed (as you say) an unnecessary way to go. But they really got me rolling my eyes with the whole Ted Williams thing—just dumb, especially given that the aliens can know everything that they’re doing.

Speaking of which, I’d love to know (assuming this thing gets a season two) how the writers will communicate to the audience whatever super secret master plan is in Saul’s head. About the only way I can think of without the aliens knowing would be a dream sequence where the audience is literally in his head.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    @Raza, finished 3 Body Problem. I agree it went badly off course (pun intended for final episode). The Panama thing didn’t make much sense and seemed (as you say) an unnecessary way to go. But they really got me rolling my eyes with the whole Ted Williams thing—just dumb, especially given that the aliens can know everything that they’re doing.

Speaking of which, I’d love to know (assuming this thing gets a season two) how the writers will communicate to the audience whatever super secret master plan is in Saul’s head. About the only way I can think of without the aliens knowing would be a dream sequence where the audience is literally in his head.

Honestly, if they do a second season, which I think they are, I will watch it for the hate watch. I’m now morbidly curious as to how bad it can get.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Didn't finish 3 body problem, the flashing sky was too much

I enjoyed Fallout on Amazon Prime.

Note that I have no interest in gaming, and gaming-based movies or series are all new to me, with no prejudice based on the games. Story-wise, I like this one and look forward to future seasons if it is made. I can do without the political innuendos, but that is my only fault. I find the show very good and very well done.
    Last edited by Samanator; Apr 18, 2024 at 05:57 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Note that I have no interest in gaming, and gaming-based movies or series are all new to me, with no prejudice based on the games. Story-wise, I like this one and look forward to future seasons if it is made. I can do it without political innuendos, but that is my only fault. I find the show very good and very well done.
    Fallout I presume? I thought it was good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Note that I have no interest in gaming, and gaming-based movies or series are all new to me, with no prejudice based on the games. Story-wise, I like this one and look forward to future seasons if it is made. I can do it without political innuendos, but that is my only fault. I find the show very good and very well done.
    Fallout?

I’m three episodes in and I’m enjoying it so far. I was really worried when I saw it was Jonathan Nolan, because, well, Westworld was terrible and basically was an amateurish attempt at an Abrams-style mystery box show (and even in Fallout, they’ve been putting some things into the mystery box, but so far it hasn’t been overbearing), but I’ve been pleasantly surprised. Walton Goggins generally elevates anything he’s in and Ella Purnell is showing off her acting chops after her time on Yellowjackets. Really looking forward to finishing this one.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking