Likes Likes:  1,092
Page 51 of 286 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: TV you just love (or at least really like)

plus was there not a body swapping episode where the doctor was a women for awhile ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    plus was there not a body swapping episode where the doctor was a women for awhile ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1convDWA_tE

3. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Never heard of her so had a google

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMCma5Bzn4Q

sounds down to 'Earth', pun

looks the part in the clip too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkXBfO9mNm0

should be good .... roll on Chrissy special

Name:  tardis2.gif
Views: 49
Size:  4.8 KB
    Last edited by Strela167; Jul 16, 2017 at 06:47 PM.

As a big Sherlock Holmes fan, I thought the US series that cast Lucy Liu as Joan Watson works pretty well. Although, of course, it is Lucy Liu, which helps...

6. Likes Raza, Strange liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    As a big Sherlock Holmes fan, I thought the US series that cast Lucy Liu as Joan Watson works pretty well. Although, of course, it is Lucy Liu, which helps...
    Pity she gets cast so often as just eye candy or the baddie.
    Thought she made the part her own in Rise

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Of course it is!

No - political correctness involves some over-compensation. This is just moving with the times, like female train drivers.

9. Likes whatmeworry, Raza liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strela167 View Post
    Never heard of her so had a google

Same here. She looks promising to me.

And yes, roll on Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Same here. She looks promising to me.

And yes, roll on Christmas!
    Yep, we're all really looking forward to it in my house. (Whittaker as Dr Who that is, not Christmas. Although we are looking forward to that too)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    No - political correctness involves some over-compensation. This is just moving with the times, like female train drivers.
    Exactly.
    My son has just got really into Who, so we're watching the modern ones (Ecclestone onwards) on Netflix. Given that they introduced gay themes over 10 years ago, a female Dr seems positively overdue. I'd have liked to see the move when Capaldi got the role, although to be fair he was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    Just making everything darker and the violence more realistic isn't really a reboot to me. Still same tired stereotypes, just less kitsch.
    They also literally started at the beginning of the character and gave him a fully fleshed out origin story. Same stereotypes yes, but less kitsch is a huge step in the right direction.

Basically, they tried to fit the new Bond movies in the the mold of the best Bond movie (even though at the time it was lambasted for being too dark), The Living Daylights.

I will say, though, as a property, Mission Impossible is beating Bond. It's fresher, it's more versatile, and thanks to the fact that it's not necessarily based on a named character, it can have a more varied cast that can add more to the table. Bond doesn't really work with a team beyond M and Q--and their roles are basically to assign a mission and then outfit for the mission, respectively. Involving Q more in Spectre was a step in the right direction. It makes Bond more tangible, less superhuman. The moviegoer has more access to knowledge of how spies actually work--and while we don't want the next James Bond to be a guy sipping coffee out of a paper cup while looking at satellite photos, the use of team members with different functions feels more realistic than M saying to Bond "Jim, go here, sleep with all the women, and then shoot everyone else in the face" and then Bond doing it.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking