Likes Likes:  792
Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Astronomy

I always found astronomy interesting, and this thread got me thinking about the observatory that's only 15 miles away that hold public viewings on Saturdays. I'll have to make a trip out there soon. I always thought an astronomer would be a cool nerdy job. Below is a picture of one of the telescopes that they have there.

2. Likes geoffbot, popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    More pics please Sherry
    Well...alright. Here are a couple (although I'm pretty sure anyone who really wants to see my photos can visit my page and be bored over there):

Solar eclipse October 2014 (including a massive sunspot complex):
    Name:  Mid eclipse  copy crop1.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  12.3 KB

The Rosette Nebula. A cloud of hydrogen gas lit by nearby stars. About 5200 light years away in the constellation Monoceros:
    Name:  ROSETTE.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  101.6 KB

An amazing aurora over my city. We don't get auroras at my latitude except from some of the powerful solar storms at the peaks of the recurring solar cycles. This was such a storm, around 2003. Solar storms, "space weather", and auroras are one of my main areas of study:
    Name:  VictoriaAurora1 copy 2.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  26.5 KB

Comets are another study interest of mine; here is Comet Lovejoy from earlier this year:
    Name:  Lovejoy final1 midsize.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  52.1 KB

Hope you enjoyed.

(PS- these were all taken with off-the-shelf gear anyone can buy, and with a little practice, can take photos like these)

~Sherry.
    Last edited by popoki nui; Jun 3, 2015 at 09:36 PM.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    Nothing doing around here..... Too close to the city, and light 'polution' kills the view up Can just about make out the major constellations.
    The best view of the night sky I've experienced (with or without any sort of scope) was from a villa in the Troodos, Cyprus - Mind boggling
    Well, when I first started seriously in backyard astronomy, I did it from downtown Victoria (pop. 350,000). True that light pollution is a bit of a deterrence, but you can get special filters which block a lot of the streetlight glow. Living in the city doesn't mean you can't have a great experience with a telescope and the night sky.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

5. Likes crownpuller liked this post
    Ok, here's one I made earlier......

Name:  hubble_113311f.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  37.2 KB

Yeah right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't find my 1st camera folder anywhere and my nightsky one's on in that , maybe it's at work, will check tomorrow , I don't think for one minute I deleted it

7. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Surprisingly Los Angeles is the home to Griffith Observatory which sits on top of...no kidding...Mt. Hollywood. I've been more than a few times. Has the most viewed telescope in the world so bring your sanitizing wipes if you go.

Name:  110_1zuma__dsc8462.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  221_1_mg_6076_livebooks.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  47.4 KB

9. Likes popoki nui, tempocalypse liked this post
    Tiny tiny bit of light pollution there .....

not a star to be seen tonight Name:  PICT0009.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  20.4 KB
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

12. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    I took my 5 year old the other day to a local astronomy activity for kids. I was amazed when we were able to see the rings of Saturn. I know my son is still very young but he's really interested in this stuff... every night we sit and watch videos on youtube of anything related to space.

Now I'm looking at maybe getting something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Orion-27194-Do...2Q7AM2XXPYE1CE

Awesome pictures Sherry!
    Joe

Omega / Rolex / Oris / Citizen / Seiko / Alpina / G Shock

Quote Originally Posted by jraul7 View Post
    I took my 5 year old the other day to a local astronomy activity for kids. I was amazed when we were able to see the rings of Saturn. I know my son is still very young but he's really interested in this stuff... every night we sit and watch videos on youtube of anything related to space.

Now I'm looking at maybe getting something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Orion-27194-Do...2Q7AM2XXPYE1CE

Awesome pictures Sherry!
    Thanks! That 8" Dobsonian is a perfect all-round telescope. It's identical to the Skywatcher one I posted farther up this thread. You will be amazed what you'll see with a scope this size.

~Sherry.

Would ebay be a good place to look for used ones or wouldn't you recommend that?