Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Must-have watch accessories for the WIS

Ric Capucho

Must-have watch accessories for the WIS

Spring-bar tool, so yer can use the fork end of the thing to change straps without scratching the lugs. Additionally, the pointy end is for punching out the lickle pins wot bind the bracelet links together. In my experience yer need a couple of spare forks for when yer inevitably snap 'em.

Bracelet tool, so yer can remove (or replace) bracelets without gouging yer eye out.

I spent far too much on these 'cos I went into a Swiss store wot supplies the watch industry in the Zürich area. The sum total was around CHF 120 for both, which is around $130 in american shekels. But you can find the pair for around $50 on Ebay. I wouldn't go much less or they'll be made out of rubber.

I bought 'em a week or two after taking a watch in to a watch shop to have a bracelet removed and switched over to a leather strap; this being early in my WIS obsession. They did the usual "leave it with us, come back in an hour". Which I did, only I didn't leave the shop 'cos I wanted to look at the watches therein. Obsessed, wasn't I. Anyways, I noted some discomfort and was even re-asked to "come back" at the time when the watch was due to be ready, but spent the time looking at yet more watches. I did wonder if they were worried I was planning a robbery (I was, but on our saving's account).

Anyways, a few minutes before the appointed time (the Swiss have earned their reputation for promptness) I realised that my watch hadn't been worked on. So I reminded the nice lady that the time was almost up. Oh dear: the older bloke gave me a glare, and sat down at his desk with my watch, and removed the bracelet in a jiffy using the bracelet tool, and in a few seconds more popped the new strap on using his spring bar tool. Total work time? Maybe a minute, no more. The longest operation was taking the new strap out of its plastic sheath, I kid you not.

Big smile from me, that wavered a bit when then charged me CHF 20 (about $25) for that minute's work, which equates to about $1,500 per hour.

Now yer know why they ask you to "come back later"; they don't want yer to know how p1ss easy the work is.

Anyways, the two tools are essential and I couldn't live without 'em.

Ric

2. Likes popoki nui, jsw41, Hayseed Brown liked this post
    So far, I have spring bar tools, a bracelet link removal tool, many various screwdrivers, tweezers, knife, case back opener, crystal removal/press set, caseback press, circuit tester, external power supply for quartz watches, battery tester, staking set. Plus case/bracelet refinishing kit: rotary tools with various attachments, files, and boxes of varying abrasive compounds, cloths, and papers. And a watchmakers bench.
    All just to keep my little beauties happy.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

Can you guys suggest any particular brands to look out for? I bought a cheap watch tool kit. Needless to say some of the cheap plastic tools didn't last a month before all falling apart.

Blog Entries
    Bergeon. That's the brand that a lot of watchmakers use. Not cheap, but the steel quality is great.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

6. Likes Der Amf, popoki nui, OhDark30, geoffbot liked this post
    Must have for making cool pics
    Name:  sku_1300_1_small.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  4.2 KB
    $5 UV Flashlight for super bright lume shots

8. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Flashlight comes in handy when looking for bracelet parts.

John
    If you come to a fork in the road; take it, and then put it down so someone else can use it.

10. Likes Bwana liked this post
    Someone had made a recommendation for a watch repair tool kit from Amazon for around $15, and that kit has come in extremely handy over the years.

I could be mistaken, but it may have been Chronopolis who made the recommendation.

As far as tool kits, I bought an inexpensive kit on Amazon, then as the tools break, I replace them with nicer bits. I figure if they're breaking, I'm using them and should be replaced with something of higher quality.

I am currently in need of a new screwdriver set.

For a spring bar tool, I almost exclusively use the Worn & Wound spring bar tool. It's sturdy, pleasantly designed, and it has caps to protect the ends. These make it a perfect travel tool, since it won't botch up your watch roll or poke holes in your clothes (depending on how you pack your stuff).

13. Likes Raza liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Really? Must try that! Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Really? Must try that! Thanks for the tip.
    Try DX.com They sell for less than $5 incl. shipping

16. Likes CFR liked this post