Likes Likes:  817
Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: **** flowers / Plants Photographs ****

So you mix water and washing liquid together? What proportions ?

Billy super duper

well got a old 5 gallon water sprayer one of those pump action one's so normal 5 gallons of water to a couple of good squits of liquid but as i say does not seem to be working so might might add more apparently it does not need much but does something to the leaves to stop them being eaten suppose makes them taste horrible
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

found this

Soap Spray – Mix ˝ teaspoon mild dish soap and 1 teaspoon cooking oil in a 1-quart sprayer filled with water. Spray liberally over entire plant. Bring in Ladybugs – To keep aphids in check, release ladybugs on the affected plant. They will stay as long as there is shelter and host bugs to feed on.

Dishwashing Liquid & Roses

Related Articles

Roses (Rosa spp.) add beauty and fragrance to gardens across U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 2 through 11. Some rose varieties prefer cooler regions than others. While the roses are producing fragrant blooms, pests often infest the stems, canes and flower buds. A homemade remedy that uses dishwashing liquid helps remove the pests and protect your roses.

The Effects of Dish Soap on Pests

Soaps used on soft-bodied insects that infest roses attack the cell membranes of the pest. The result is the removal of the waxy coating on the exterior of the insect. The little pest looses water through the cell layer and dies from dehydration. The soap does not harm those insects that have a hard shell. The much-needed predatory insects that eat aphids and other soft-body insects remain unharmed by the application of the dish soap. Mites, thrips, whiteflies, aphids and scale are all controlled with routine applications of a dish soap insecticide.

Homemade Dish Soap Insecticide

One homemade insecticidal soap recipe is a mixture of 2 1/2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, 2 1/2 tablespoons of dish soap, and one gallon of distilled water. Another recipe that may be more effective is 1 tablespoon of horticulture oil, 1 tablespoon of baking soda, and two drops of dish soap mixed with one gallon of distilled water. The soap used must be a basic soap that does not contain degreasers, perfumes or dyes. The chemicals contained in concentrated soaps or those designed to break down grease will damage your rose bushes more than the insects will.

Treating Pests With Dish Soap Solution

Test the solution on a few leaves to determine if the mixture is too strong for the rose bush. If the leaves yellow or turn brown, dilute the dish soap solution with an additional quart of water. Test the solution again. Water your rose bush thoroughly the night before application. Apply the solution in the morning so the wet leaves have a chance to dry before dark. Choose a day when the temperature is below 90 degrees Fahrenheit so your plant does not suffer from leave scorch. Apply the solution to the underside of the leaves and all the canes. The rose bush must be saturated with the dish soap solution so the entire plant is dripping. Rinse the rose bush with clean water after the solution dries.

A Word of Warning

One application may not kill the pests infecting your plant. You can repeat the application every four to seven days until the rose bush is free of all pests. The solution may injure new growth, so the plant should be treated after the new growth of the season has hardened off during the summer. The minerals in hard water can counteract the benefits of the dish soap solution. If you use tap water instead of distilled water, mix the solution and let it rest for 15 minutes. It should stay milky and retain the same consistency as when you mixed it. If the water clears or changes consistency, the minerals in your tap water are reacting to the soap and the solution is ineffective on the pests.

sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

4. Likes DJW GB liked this post
    found something of interest some of my roses I have felted and put stone chipping over those go on the patio or out front then for the back I tend to use wood chippings to stop weeds well looks like that could hold some forms of roses killers like a saw bee it seems so might felt over the top of them and put stone chipping over it so stop them line of pest at least as believe got a few different ones as got holes in the leaves on some other have the nibbling to the edge and some have the leaves being skeletonised ,, and some have black spots ..depends on bread / type / age ....

Caterpillars -- which are the larvae of moths and butterflies -- feed on foliage and create holes and ragged edges of the rose’s leaves. Tent caterpillars (Malacosoma americanum), loopers and leafrollers (Archips semiferanus) are a few foliage-feeding caterpillars that prey on roses. Their appearance and damage varies depending on the species of caterpillars.

For example, leafrollers roll the rose foliage and secure it with webbing, while tent caterpillars construct a web encasing the leaves and branches of the plant. Unless their numbers are large, leaf-eating caterpillars typically won’t cause extensive damage to the plant. Excessive infestations can, however, lead to defoliation and loss of vigor. Killing the caterpillars requires mixing 4 tablespoons of Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) concentrate -- which is a safer alternative to chemical insecticides -- with 1 gallon of water and spraying all leaf surface liberally with the Bt.

Beetles

The fuller rose beetle (Naupactus cervinus) is one insect that feeds on the leaves of roses causing them to have a ragged or notched appearance. This flightless pest is a snout beetle with a brown body and bulging eyes. Damage to established roses can usually be ignored unless the fuller rose beetle population is high, according to the University of California Statewide Integrated Pest Management Program. Picking beetles off the rose bush and disposing of them in a bucket of soapy water will kill the pests. To prevent a future infestation, attach a 6-inch sticky band around the trunk of the plant and trim any branches that reach out toward the rose bush that can act as a bridge for the beetle.

Sawflies

Sawflies (Hymenoptera) are a wasp-like insect with a flattened, dark-colored body that measures about 0.5 inches long. They lay their eggs on the underside of rose leaves. When the eggs hatch, the yellow- or green-colored slug-like larvae feed on the foliage. Their feeding can skeletonize rose leaves and – in high populations – defoliate the plant. Spraying the leaves of the infested rose bush with ready-to-use insecticidal soap will kill the sawfly larvae. Repeat treatments once a week may be needed to provide complete control over the pest. Furthermore, if heavy rain occurs within 24 hours after treatment, another application should be applied.

Leaf-Cutter Bees

Leaf-cutter bees (Megachile rotundata) are plump bees measuring about 1/4 inch long that cut semicircular holes out of the edge of leaves. These beneficial insects cause no real serious damage to roses and usually only affect the appearance of the plant. Since they are important pollinators, no control should be taken against leaf-cutting bees. You can, however, take steps to prevent the bees from damaging roses by covering the rose with loose netting in late summer when the bees are most active. Also, eliminate rotting wood near the rose that can act as a breeding site for leaf-cutter bees.

sharky
    rest easy good buddy

6. Likes DJW GB liked this post

8. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Having a afternoon stroll through the woods at Sandringham .

Billy super duper

10. Likes OhDark30, Strela167, Henry Krinkle, Volgo liked this post
    P7120110 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P7120094 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P7120117 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

12. Likes DJW GB, Strela167 liked this post
    P8031923 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

14. Likes FuzzyB, DJW GB, Strela167 liked this post

16. Likes DJW GB, Henry Krinkle liked this post

18. Likes DJW GB liked this post